• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Rise of Asia

ShiroKobbure said:
well according to Wiki Yue are Viet (a way to say Yue is Viet) and "Nam Viet" is "Nanyue" which was the Guangdong province.
No Tibet wont be full of monks. Thought I might make the leader a Lahma in the modern era.

"Yue" is an extremely broad term referring to the "100 Yue", stretching from Fujian, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Guangdong, and Yunnan province all the way to parts of northern Vietnam. The Vietnamese refer to themselves as "Yue" but are likely a mix of the indigenous cultures that existed prior to the integration with the Yue peoples and the Yue peoples. The Vietnamese also adopted the name "Yue" ("Viet" in Vietnamese pronounciation) pretty much so they could throw it at the Chinese' faces. ;)

In the other thread we discussed the Bugi (sp?) as the Javanese UU.

I'm lobbying again for the Maurya to have the Kshatrya (4-wheeled chariot) UU. Let me know when you want to be inundated with images.

And the Kushans I would like to see get the UU: Ashvaka (swift-moving lancers). They are famous to this day for their skill and speed, still practiced as a sport.

Either Chera or Taprobane should get a Tamil warrior; they were noted in the classical period for their bright red shield. Probably give it to Taprobane with treating jungle like road; give an advanced longbowman to Chera. Archery was the most highly valued weapons skill in classical India.

That southeastern part was the Minyue, a Yue kingdom independent of Han China. It encompassed Fujian, parts of Zhejiang, and parts of Jiangsu Provinces. That huge grey area in the southeast that was not annexed by the Qin was also a Yue region. The Han eventually overran the Yue, but even as the Han Dynasty was degenerating into the Three Kingdoms, there was a Yue kingdom. Southwest was Nanyue, encompassing Yunnan, Guangdong, Guangxi, and northern Vietnam. Nanyue's capital was at Panyu, near modern day Guangzhou.

Thus there were two "Yue" powers at the time - Minyue and Nanyue. Nanyue's ruler was Trieu Da. Minyue's ruler in the Three Kingdoms period was Fei Zhan. The peoples of both regions descended from the "Hundred Yue". My ancestors were Yue. ;)

And I don't think you should rename it to "Qin." The Qin Dynasty did not last very long. The early Han Dynasty pretty much encompassed the same territory. The empire expanded later on as the Han Dynasty reached its peak.

For simplicity's sake, I think it's better to have just one "Yue" state with Gou Jian as leader and capital at Guiji.

Things seem to be moving along. In that spirit here's a strawman of Civ qualities. I have already run this list by Blue Monkey and Ogedei (thanks, gentlemen) and have incorporated their suggestions.

South East Asia
Champa - Agricultural, Commercial
Funan - Seafaring, Commercial
Pyu - Commercial, Agricultural
Sukhothai - Religious, Commercial
Srivijaya - Seafaring, Expansionist
Sailendra - Agricultural, Commercial
East Asia
Han - Religious, Commercial [Alternates: Militaristic or Expansionist]
Bod - Religious, Industrious
Shilla - Agricultural, Industrious
Wa - Religious, Militaristic, [Alternate: Expansionist]
Emishi - Religious, Commercial
Ryukyukoku - Agricultural, Commercial
Southwest Asia
Maurya - Religious, Militaristic, [alternate: Expansionist]
Chera - Religious, Commercial
Taprobane - Seafaring, Commercial
Gangahrd - Agricultural, Expansionist
Sakya - Expansionist, Agricultural
Steppes
Khunnu Empire - Expansionist, Militaristic
Hun Confederacy - Expansionist, Militaristic
Kushan Empire - Commercial, Expansionist

The Last Conformist said:
What Commercial actually does is reducing corruption from city number, so its appropriateness for small, trade-based civs is questionable.

I would have thought that the Han would be Ind.

@TLC - good points. What would you suggest in lieu of Commercial?

Industrious is certainly a possibility for the Han. All of these qualities, are of course very subjective.

A civ trait, you mean?

The idea that comes unbidden is making them Agr, allowing them to squeeze more food out of the arid bits of the map. This would have the added benefit that nobody in more fertile bits of the map would be Agr; with the current setup civs like Gangahrd and Champa threaten to become settler-spawning powerhouses early on.

Needless to say, this idea would necessiate a complete overhaul of the trait assignments, partic'larly if my suggestion re: Com be adopted. Speaking of which, you seem to have no Sci civs; one could certainly conjure up a plausible argument that getting extra techs for free is plausible for wide-ranging traders. Additionally, you can tick trade-related improvements as Sci, making them cheaper to the mercantile folks.

You can rename civ traits by fiddling with the text files; with the suggestions I've made above, we'd have Agr -> Nomadic and Sci -> Mercantile, or something along those lines.

Take a look at TAM (The Ancient Mediterranean Mod). Each Civ gets a special wonder it can build cheaply early in the game that gives it some civ specific advantage, like the Scythians get to build some horse units noone else can, and they're veteran.

The Last Conformist said:
You can rename civ traits by fiddling with the text files; with the suggestions I've made above, we'd have Agr -> Nomadic and Sci -> Mercantile, or something along those lines.

This is interesting. How exactly would you go about it? Looking at the editor gives the impression that these are hard coded and that the eight strengths they give you can't be changed.

I want to have all the UUs done by the 31st so I need to know what I need to make.
It would also be nice to have a tech tree done by then so I can start making the icons.
Anyone want to start on a tech tree for any ear please do. Post it here so we can all look and suggest any changes.

Top Bottom