Leader Personality Quirks?

Mano3

King
To quote JoeBlade, "AI personalities should not be underestimated either, so get to know them. Isabella for instance will gladly declare war on anyone with a different religion, regardless of other relation modifiers. Napoleon is quick to declare when you refuse his tribute demands - again irrespective of other modifiers -so make sure you can afford such a war when he comes knocking. Montezuma and Alexander like to pick on weaker neighbours, hence a badly defended city within their visibility range equals a call for war to them.
Inversely, Manu Mansu will trade pretty much anything with anyone for a new tech. Etc etc."

I've noticed that Isabella and Tokagawa are almost impossible to trade with.

Any other additions or patterns you folks would like to share?

In my experience, the leaders, when in the hands of the AI, fall into certain categories. This is based on what I've seen in my own games; your mileage may vary.

Biggest Space Race competitors: Mansa, Ghandi, Washington.

Easiest to get along with: Mansa, Ghandi, Washington (notice the pattern?), Roosevelt, Asoka, Hatshepsut, Caesar, Cyrus, Victoria, Elizabeth, Qin.

Hardest to get along with: Tokugawa, Isabella, Montezuma, Alexander, Genghis.

Dangerous early on, also-rans later: Montezuma, Alexander.

Chronic also-rans: Frederick, Bismark, Saladin, Mao, Asoka.

Most effective warmongers: Napoleon, Kublai, Qin (!), Cyrus, Genghis.

Least effective warmongers: Isabella, Louis, Huayna, Alexander, Montezuma.

Older than Dirt said:
I would have put Hauyna down as an effective SpaceRacer.

What is with Bismark? He never does much of anything in the games that I have played except laugh?
If Hauyna lives that long, yes. (He's usually my neighbour and founds a religion, which marks him for death. In the one game I had when he was on another continent with Peter and Saladin, I was .75% land mass short of my domination victory and he was building spaceship parts like crazy. I had to settle for a "diplomatic" victory thanks to my conquests giving me 70% of the world's population. It's not my preferred victory condition, but the irony does amuse me.)

The two Germans both have a late UU and trait combinations that I think only a wily human player can make work. They have no immediate financial, military, or religious advantages, so they need to build cottages and wage early wars--neither of which the AI is particularly good at. Plus Bismark does not start with any techs that allow him to leverage that Expansive trait early on; I suspect if the AI Bismark starts with no food resources nearby, he delays researching Agriculture, which would inhibit his city growth for a while.

Top Bottom