[Sword of Islam]: Mamluk Domination

This uses embryodead's Sword of Islam mod-mod, version 0.3.3 (sounds early but it is much more finished than anything in Civ5!):
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373155

Goals:
1. Mamluks on Sultan (monarch) difficulty, spawn in 1250
2. Win by domination only (although 2/3 UHV is encouraged)
3. No cities lost to Mongols EVER
4. Become Shahanshah, Roman Emperor, Sharif of Hejaz, AND Commander of the Faithful (these are honorific titles that require specific land requirements:
--Constantinople
--Madinah/Mecca and nobody else owns other cities in Hejaz
--Baghdad and previous owner is vassalized or dead
--Majority of Persia (Jibal, Tabaristan, Fars, Kerman, Luristan, Kurdistan, Yazd, Western Khorasan)

Players:
1. AP
2. Jusos2108
3. ?
4. rrosen
5. blizzrd

10-12 moves each.

Replays if majority votes yes. Reloads not prohibited (obviously no random seed though, even if it's possible).

I will be travelling April 28th - May 9th, so can't really be in, but I will watch with interest.

Some background on Baibars (and why it's not Qutuz) who led the Mamluks in this mod:
In June 1249, the Seventh Crusade under Louis IX of France landed in Egypt and took Damietta. The Egyptian troops retreated at first, spurring the sultan to hang more than 50 commanders as deserters. When the Egyptian sultan As-Salih Ayyub died, the power passed briefly to his son Turanshah and then his favorite wife Shajar Al-Durr (or Shajarat-ul-Dur). She took control with mamluk support and launched a counterattack. Troops of the Bahri commander Baibars defeated Louis's troops. The king delayed his retreat too long and was captured by the Mamluks in March 1250, and agreed to a ransom of 400,000 livres (150,000 of which were never paid).[7] Political pressure for a male leader made Shajar marry the mamluk commander Aybak; he was later killed in his bath, and in the power struggle that ensued vice-regent Qutuz took over. He formally founded the first Mamluk sultanate and the Bahri dynasty.
When the Mongol Empire's troops of Hulagu Khan sacked Baghdad in 1258 and advanced towards Syria, Mamluk Emir Baibars (Turkish: Baybars)( Circassian:Bipars, a common Circassian name which means the frontier defending warrior) left Damascus for Cairo where he was welcomed by Sultan Qutuz.[8] After taking Damascus, Hulagu demanded that Qutuz surrender Egypt but Qutuz had Hulagu's envoys killed and, with Baibars' help, mobilized his troops. Although Hulagu had to leave for the East when great Khan Möngke died in action against the Southern Song, he left his lieutenant, the Christian Kitbuqa, in charge. Qutuz drew the Mongol army into an ambush near the Orontes River, routed them at the Battle of Ain Jalut and captured and executed Kitbuqa (see Qutuz).

After this great triumph, Qutuz was assassinated by conspiring Mamluks. It was said that Baibars, who seized power, was involved in the assassination. In the following centuries the rule of mamluks was discontinuous, with an average span of seven years.

The Mamluks defeated the Mongols a second time in Homs in 1260 and began to drive them back east. In the process they consolidated their power over Syria, fortified the area, formed mail routes, and formed diplomatic connections between the local princes. Baibars's troops attacked Acre in 1263, captured Caesaria in 1265, and took Antioch in 1268.

Now, getting Acre and Antioch by 1268 might be a little bit hard in this mod except with very lucky spawns, to be true to history, we should probably aim for getting Antioch first.

I'll also try to get a spawn where the Ayyubids are still alive.

Edit: actually it's quite hard--the Ayyubids are either REALLY strong, or dead. Same thing for the KoJ. Why can't they just peacefully coexist? :lol:
I think I'll just try one where the KoJ is still alive.

Well, I'll try to generate a save tomorrow (it's impossible to get a decent spawn with KoJ either)...will have to settle for an Ayyubid spawn.

Finally, we have a winner--the Kingdom of Acre is alive! :D
Turn 0: To summarize the situation for the Mamluks in 1250:
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu349/anotherpacifist/Civ4ScreenShot0581.jpg

Some good wonders in the capital (Al-Azhar having been built by the Fatimids who were Shia, gives +2 beaker per Sunni building):

Merkurios will most likely DOW sooner or later, OB for now:

Ah, the Abbasids, who will soon collapse (and need to come under the Mamluk protection in real life). Trade techs with them and OB with their vassals the Zengids.

Most of our troops go towards the KoJ. Capital starts with a trebuchet and then Heroic Epic.

Turn 1: Antioch is captured by the Rum. Zengids covert to Shia?! We kill a Christian lancer:

Turn 2: Egypt flips to us! We meet Levon from Cilicia, Tamar from Georgia (trade salt with their apples), and Yemen. I spread Sunni around (since we need it to generate culture). Interestingly, some really good wonders have not been built yet (including Krak des Chevaliers), so I start a castle in Al-Minya (which has Catholicism). We're still in OR which means faster production. All workers converge on the stone near Aswan for the production bonus.

Turn 3: Not much.
Turn 4: Abbasids collapse, but not before exhausting their call for Jihad with a DOW on the Georgians. Aswan gets Sunni. Trebuchet built in Cairo, switch to Heroic Epic (7 moves). We capture Gaza with the loss of 1 horse archer and recover a relic. The Christian population is massacred (reducing the size of the city from 6 to 3, but we gain some faith points--we're now "faithful"):

Turn 5: The Mongols destroy the House of Wisdom in Baghdad. Hm, some Crusaders arrive in Jerusalem. A slave revolt in Al-Minya, just as the stone comes online! :mad: I pay some money to appease them. We kill a pirate off the shores of Alexandria (we have a roundship that flipped to us). We approach Jerusalem with our trebuchet.

The relic is settled in Cairo for happiness:

Turn 6: PoA collapses. We kill 2 Crusaders (a marksman and a trebuchet) who approach Gaza.
Turn 7: Jerusalem's walls knocked from 40% to 16%.
Turn 8: Trade some wine with cotton from Georgia (being Christian, they can't use it for the Karimi's corporation). Jerusalem is captured and renamed Al-Quds. Too bad we don't have the reconquest event. Baldwin loses his title (Protector of the Holy Sepulchre).

Turn 9: We approach Acre. A Frankish War Galley is probably going to destroy some workboats near our coast.
Turn 10: Heroic Epic comes online and starts to build trebuchets. (Remember to build a horse breeder before starting to build mamluks--right now we don't have horses so that's not a big deal). Zengids collapse. Iraq should probably not be conquered except for all the cities south of Samarra (due to Ak Koyunlu spawning there in 1400 or so--Baghdad and Samarra are outside the Ak Koyunlu flip zone). The stupid Merkurios demands a cheap tech. I see he's unstable, so I give it to him in order not to get a 2-front war. Al-Minya starts to build Krak des Chevaliers.

To do:
1. Capture Acre and Damascus (destroy the iron near it if needed). Hook up the horse near Acre ASAP, and once that's done, build Mamluks like mad!
2. Build Al-Jazari's workshop. I would go for Civil Service next. Try to limit number of cities captured (in retrospect should have razed Gaza).
3. Conquer/vassalize Nobatia.
4. The Tomb of Walid hasn't been built yet, we only need 2 more monuments (might make vassalization in the future much easier).
5. Encourage the Rum to DOW on Cicilia once we approach there, and dogpile on Cicilia.
6. Spread Sunni to Al-Uqsur and Domyat.

Can I raze Acre? IMO it's a tight fit in the Levant and it's more productive to have the space available for Al-Quds and Tyre than to fit three cities in there. Al-Quds is already restricted due to Ghazza anyways.

That was a nice start. We could also found the Sinai city (Rakha) to get a another port on the Red Sea. BTW, has the Kizil Kule being built?

Yeah, I usually raze Acre, if I am not short of cities. Tyre gets the Barley and becomes huge and Al-Quds gets to work on one more windmill.

If you raze Acre you won't be able to get the horse hooked up quickly (you'll have to build some culture buildings in Jerusalem which takes forever)! The only other horse is near Aqaba but it's under indy pressure even after KoJ collapses.

I would raze the city north of Acre (Tarabulus) which cuts into Damascus' production. Acre is reasonably productive with those hills around it.

Watch the money--don't want to disband troops accidentally by being negative.

I think that the horses around Aqaba are quite easy to hook up, so I would still raze Acre.

BTW, Rakha is the only Red Sea city that can get the Venetians or Genoans in, so I think it is definetly worth founding. Also do you know about the KK?

It just seems an awful waste to raze Acre which is usually very productive when at size 10 or above. I actually don't like Aqaba (small, can't work all its tiles).
Acre can also build ships against the future Kingdom of Cyprus and launch a surprise attack against the Ottomans from the Izmir side.

We can keep it, if you want to, but can we then found Rakha?:D It is way better than Aqaba and it can work the copper. Also are we going to raze Tabuk?

Don't found Rakha--waste of a city too.
In my current Fatimid game, Acre is size 17, with Kizil Kule it's my 3rd most productive city (after Cairo and some other Anatolian city). I should have won eons ago if not for the stupid Mansa Musa event that killed my economy for 50 years.

BTW, may I suggest setting espionage to Byzantines only, so that we can more easily open Constantinople's city gates?

We'll have enough Mediterranean ports, so we don't really need Acre, but on the other hand we will not have enough Red Sea ports, why we could found Rakha.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm too busy, unfortunately.

AP, are we going to wait for some more players or should MessageMan play?

I will be travelling April 28th - May 9th, so can't really be in, but I will watch with interest.

You can still be in, we'll just put you on hold while you're away.

Yes, by all means play! We can just add players as they come.

I think the Mansa Musa event has got to be adjusted--it basically kills your game. We will probably get it around the mid 1300's.

Top Bottom