14th of June Patchnotes

I had this problem. Reported it to 2K Greg during the beta with zero response, and it was still there when the production patch arrived.

I've fixed it, thanks to inspired advice from Gyathaar. I edited the cofig.ini file in MyGames\Civ5. Changed one line to:

EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

My problem was that I run the Windows version in a Parallels WinXP virtual machine on my Mac, and I only gave Windows a single core to play with. Apparently, the min specs for this version require Dual Core?

[PS] Gyathaar credits dshirk's post #224 above for this solution.

Thanks, I did that earlier today and it fixed the problem... I would be so lost without this forum lol.. Funny how that one number outta all the files in the game would have that big of affect on the game.. Im so glad that I can play the game again.. Thanks again for the help and info ..

Hah!! I spit on your pathetic machines that can't handle the patch! :scan:

Seriously though, didn't notice a hit on performance thankfully.
Love the new TP. If I didn't buld any before just because they were soo insanely ugly, now I want to cover all land with them.
Outfit changing static advisors are kinda pointless when the leaders themselves never change it.

WTF? A joke? Then a screwed up one. Know what he did to countless of your countrymen? Know what he did to people he conquered? Know what he did to Finland too by countless suffering still visible today?

Oh? Care to elaborate, kamu? The guy was one evil evil naughty bad bad man :spank: Old news, moving on... But;
The bolded part intrigues me though... How is this suffering still visible today exactly? Oh we do suffer soo horribly, that awful social services alone... Gods! Unemployment! Oh how our unemployed suffer from hunger. Last week I saw a little girl die of hunger right in the city center! True story...
Also just yesterday I saw an unemployed drunk in his 30's who only got 600 euro for his liquor from social services this month! Can you believe that?! What an outrage, with KELA (pension institution) only paying about 60-70% of his rent, how is the poor fella supposed to keep on being drunk till next month with only about 500e in his pocket? All this while the employment office tirelessly is trying to impose a job for him. How dare they?! The suffering that douchebag caused to Finland! ...is still visible today.

I can only imagine the visible suffering on the southern coast! ;) Stay strong buddy :lol:

In the config.ini file there should be a line EnableGameCoreThreading = 1 - try setting that to 0, might improve your gameplay

Tried that but still have the same problems with the infor screens showing up immediately before the unit reaches its destination and still extremely slow slow turn times.

Good idea.

Could you please try something for me, and let me know if it corrects your problem?

1. Open up your config.ini (My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/)
2. Look for the following line: EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
3. Change it to: EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Thanks, and let me know.

I tried your suggestion but still get the slow turn times and city screens not sync... and info screens showing before unit arrives to its destination.

Could you please try something for me, and let me know if it corrects your problem?

1. Open up your config.ini (My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/)
2. Look for the following line: EnableGameCoreThreading = 1
3. Change it to: EnableGameCoreThreading = 0

Thanks, and let me know.

yes it seems to be working better. The only problem I seem to be having is that the animation is still out of syn with the game. I haven't played to far into the game yet.

There is still a lag time with the turn but not as long. It should be faster and at least equal to what it was before the patch.

I still find that the information screens snap to far in advance before the unit reaches the destination. This i feel is the sync problem with the animation.

At least you are on the right track..... keep it up looking for more.. imporvements.

A program can start another program running, for example to calculate the decisions for an AI civ. Each program is referred to as a "thread". On a single core CPU, the two threads take it in turns to use the CPU. If the PC has multiple CPU cores, then a second thread can run on another core, and the result is that the two programs run at the same time instead of one after another.

[Sorry, X-posted]

I have a dual core but the 0 setting made the game operate a little faster but not as nice prior to the patch. So with the 0 setting am I only using one core not both of my cores?

If just using one core, sounds strange that it would work faster on one than two cores.

threadcoreenabling fix Wins!

Fixed all my issues (mainly city menu), game runs smoother than ever.
(From the sound of it it seems only duocore needs this fix? Single CPU are already 1 thread at a time, and 4 and up cores can handle it fine without the change.)

And thanks for the explanation Ideolect, I totally get it now.

Turn times: Start to be noticeably longer around t150 (Standard/Immortal) but only a few seconds. If it means the AI is playing smarter -- well that's a good deal IMHO; and it does seem to be but 1 game is not enough data for me to declare this, of course.

It's a step in the right direction for multiplayer. Multiplayer animations should've been added in the first place. They still need to add in AI interaction and the option for leaderheads in multiplayer, as well as the option for ordered turns instead of simultaneous turns. But at least now I can see what direction an enemy runs to and people know what's going on when they get nuked.

I can also confirm that the change above from 1 to 0 stopped the lag, and retuned things to many things to normal. I still feel the between turns is taking awhile, but the city menu issues I had seem to be resolved.

You are right the city menu operates a lot better. There is still lag with the turn but not to the point where you can't play the game. I still find the sync with animation (unit movement) to action is still off and a little bit of a pain... but can tolerate it to play the game until it is fixed.

If just using one core, sounds strange that it would work faster on one than two cores.
Note the comments by Buccaneer concerning the need for multi-threading to be done right. If it's done wrong, then it can slow things down as the threads trip over one another.

Think about the effects of adding additional people to a project. Having two people doing something doesn't necessarily get the job done twice as fast as one person. They may not work at the same rate, or one might be given more to do than the other, or they might spend all their time arguing about who's going to do what. If their effective efficiency is lower than 50% when trying to cooperate, then the job will take longer.

It's even possible for two threads to become locked in a "deadly embrace", where each is waiting for the other to finish doing something before it can continue. Typically, this sort of problem results in long delays until one of the threads gets tired of waiting ("times out") and then carries on regardless.

t
Fixed all my issues (mainly city menu), game runs smoother than ever.
(From the sound of it it seems only duocore needs this fix? Single CPU are already 1 thread at a time, and 4 and up cores can handle it fine without the change.)

I have a Windows virtual machine, and I can choose to give one or more cores. With one core assigned and threading enabled, the game loads, but will not let me do anything - I can't select a unit or build a city or click next turn. I have to disable threading to get it to run on a single core. With two cores it will run in either mode.

I was surprised that the game software doesn't disable threading automatically on a single core system, but the minimum spec for the hardware is a core 2 duo CPU, so I guess the programmers assume they don't need to worry about the single core case.

I have a Windows virtual machine, and I can choose to give one or more cores. With one core assigned and threading enabled, the game loads, but will not let me do anything - I can't select a unit or build a city or click next turn. I have to disable threading to get it to run on a single core. With two cores it will run in either mode.

I was surprised that the game software doesn't disable threading automatically on a single core system, but the minimum spec for the hardware is a core 2 duo CPU, so I guess the programmers assume they don't need to worry about the single core case.

The best bet would have been to leave it off by default, but add an options menu choice to turn it on (with a tooltip warning about needing multiple cores).

but, c'est la vie.

Have you tried deleting the local files and reinstalling? Do you have any mods installed?

i'm getting all sorts of crazy graphics issues on strategic view and horrible turn times. i suppose there is no way to roll back the patch?

Played 130 turns into a game, the game runs great. It is awesome to finally be able to queue ranged attacks, I've wanted that since the game came out.

Unfortunately though, I am getting a strange strobe like flashing on the screen during my turn. It is random though and does go away after a short time, but then randomly appears again. Sometimes the minimap strobe flashes as well and I can see through the fog of war, see where undiscovered Civs are. A minor nuisance but one that I sure hope gets addressed before G+K day.

Have you tried deleting the local files and reinstalling? Do you have any mods installed?

I've reinstalled it once after the new patch came out.

I don't use mods, I've even deleted my whole My Games folder (since I don't have anything precious in there).

I've validated at least 10-30 times, every time It usually said "found a wrong file".. if I don't start the game after validating, it says "All files are verified", but after I start the game the game will crash.

I've cleaned out my ClientBlob file and it still crashed :(

The best bet would have been to leave it off by default, but add an options menu choice to turn it on (with a tooltip warning about needing multiple cores).

but, c'est la vie.

Well i have a 2 core and when i disable it the program is working better.. not the best but at least it is playable....

i'd rather just go back to the previous patch

maybe a bad patch was released so that we would buy g&k

I'd also like to just go back to the previous patch. Does anyone know how to do that?

I changed EnableGameCoreThreading to 0 and it still takes a ridiculous amount of time between turns. There's no reason why I should be waiting 10 seconds between turns at the start of the game.

Top Bottom