Allied Thread - Over the Reich JPetroski vs. McMonkey

Turn 78
Spoiler :

-Le Havre is captured
-Luebeck and Brunswick finished off
-Vannes AF captured off
-Merseburg destroyed
-shore battery near St. Nazaire destroyed

Although I will admit my enthusiasm is waning considering that I know this won’t be the final product, and the ground war is just dragging (my turns are taking well over an hour now for no fun reason), I am still interested to see how this plays out. I’m not sure why he hasn’t sent some jet fighters after my A26 streams. Sacrificing even two could probably destroy my entire air force considering they are stacked in large groups around each and every city. I think if I try and push into Belgium that is precisely what will occur. It will make finding and destroying his jets on the ground all the more important.

I do a spy raid on Stolberg AFB and Ophoven AFB and find that he has amassed a huge force there defended by 2x 3.7cm flak in Stolberg and 4x 3.7cm flak and 2x flak trains in Ophoven. There is no flak battery though I do count 8x 262s. My next goal has to be destroying these forces while they’re on the ground. They’re currently far enough away from my main bomber attack force that I don’t think he can wipe me out completely, at least without sacrificing all of this 262s.

To prepare to strike this, I start moving forces east. They might be sacrificed but I disperse amongst enough air bases that I think I have a chance. I am guessing that a major air battle will take place next turn. The only question will be who strikes first. If he sits tight, I think I have enough assets to put a dent into Stolberg although everything that I deploy there would be destroyed by Ophoven’s force.

So, even though I’m convinced the scenario needs some fundamental changes, there is still fun to be had in the current version and I remain equally convinced of the viability of this game as a truly unique experience. Carry on!!!

Turn 79
Spoiler :

-Vannes AF attacked and we lose an A26
-Bomber Command attacks Rostock, destroying it for the loss of 2 bombers
-Bomber Command attacks Berlin, damaging it for the loss of 1 bomber

This turn was all about repositioning the Allied air forces. The question will be if this was done stupidly or not. We seem to have a game here where both of our air forces are within striking distance of the others and it is simply a question of who intends to loose their forces first. If he does not move his forces by next turn, about 110 aircraft will strike Stolberg AF. Hopefully, inflicting massive damages. Almost all of these aircraft will likely be shot down, however, by aircraft leaving Ophoven! I think (hope) I can replace the losses quicker than him, though I will concede that this late in the game, he’s probably won. He’s played the game well based on the factors at hand and although I’ll be changing it significantly to reduce the absolute grind that flak vs. A26 creates late game, I don’t think I can overcome his forces and actually win at this point.

As you’ll see from the screenshots below, I’ve taken the step of trying to shield my aircraft that are vulnerable on the ground, though this may also tip my hat. I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves all of his forces next turn because of this, but I didn’t want his nearby armies to stroll in and start destroying my aircraft, and each of his jets could get at least 3-4 shots in before having to retreat. He could likely cut my force in half if I’m not careful.

Here’s a look at my buildup as well as his defenses:

[/URL
]

[URL=http://www.mediafire.com/view/mvc3dh0oqgdhvjf/Buildup2.jpg/file]

[/URL]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wb8rlwgabm309s4/buildup.jpg

Turn 80
Spoiler :

-Berlin is attacked with one civilian population being destroyed and another damaged
-A massive attack on Stolberg destroys every unit at the airfield, including 7 Me262 jet fighters.
-Panzers are attacked in Belgium.
-Vendome AF is captured NE of Tours
-88mm Flak attacked by warships near St. Nazaire and killed
-Vannes AF captured again

My assault on Stolberg is successful but leaves pretty much my entire airforce vulnerable. I would be very surprised to find that any of it still exists next turn. I have some Mustangs ready to attack any fighters of his that are left in the air but he might have enough jets plus flak to simply clean me out without risking any conventional aircraft.

I’m going to turn my attention towards the west for the next few turns to clear out France and rebuild strength. I own the skies over there and there’s nothing he can really do to challenge me in that area so I will rebuild strength there as I build up my army in France. I’m planning a major coastal offensive with the support of the Royal Navy to take out cities along the Bay of Biscay and I am also seeking to reduce Fortress Cherbourg shortly.

Top Bottom