Altered Maps 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sudan is a Land of the People, then South Sudan is, too. Sure it describes it is south from Sudan but is also a Sudan, like the two Koreas.

If Sudan is a Land of the People, then South Sudan is, too. Sure it describes it is south from Sudan but is also a Sudan, like the two Koreas.

In my head, it was the Republic of Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, named after Goryeo whereas South Sudan is literally the Republic of South Sudan, the Sudan of the south.

yeah, but my point is that they are both Sudans, even if they are different. It depends on whether you want to emphasise the South or the Sudan bit. I'm obviously for the latter.

yeah, but my point is that they are both Sudans, even if they are different. It depends on whether you want to emphasise the South or the Sudan bit. I'm obviously for the latter.

I see your point verily. Though I opt for the former so that it's more consistent with say South Africa (named for the South-ness than the Africa) or New Zealand (for the New-ness)

Arronax comes back: Altered Maps is swinging again. :)

Well, it looks better.

At least we have Adrianople.

Spoiler :

Although Albania wouldn't exist in that scenario, nor would some of it not be in the (seemingly) distinct "Greece" tied to the "Balkan federation".

I see your point verily. Though I opt for the former so that it's more consistent with say South Africa (named for the South-ness than the Africa) or New Zealand (for the New-ness)

New Zealand is such a horrible name, not least because it has nothing to do whatsoever with the Dutch region. Aotearoa is just such a wonderful word. I wish they would bloody embrace the Maori ascendancy.

Arronax comes back: Altered Maps is swinging again. :)

It honestly was my favourite part of the Forum.

Although Albania wouldn't exist in that scenario, nor would some of it not be in the (seemingly) distinct "Greece" tied to the "Balkan federation".

Not so much negotiations between Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Albania as it is outright conquest.

New Zealand is such a horrible name, not least because it has nothing to do whatsoever with the Dutch region. Aotearoa is just such a wonderful word. I wish they would bloody embrace the Maori ascendancy.

At least the first stanza of the New Zealand Anthem is in Maori. And its so pretty.

Who conquered whom?

Also, have you done a map of Tringapore as you'd like it to be?
(perhaps a blank page or a 404?)

Yugoslavia and Albania. Bulgaria will just watch from afar.

I always pictured Yugoslav leaders eyeing Albania just because it would make the border look so pretty.

What map of Tringapore?

So there is no way you could like Tringapore. You're the real aronnax.

:lol:

Honestly, my hatred for Singapore has over the years become more of a mild annoyance and a complete disregard to it. After all, the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

That is pretty cool.
I wonder why is the north of France called Languedoil, though?

Aside from the terribleness of some names, I always liked these maps. Especially the equally sized US states.

Vistula always sounds to me like some sort of intimate medical procedure.

I think I already pointed out Spain comes from a word in some ancient language meaning Land of Rabbits or something. So it really belongs in the 'descriptor' category, just like the United States. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom