Altered Maps ': To make a map larger than what it maps.

And yet somehow they joined the EU, whilst apparently hating all other languages?

Besides, having naming rules is observed in Iceland and Germany as well, so it's not quite that odd.

And yet somehow they joined the EU, whilst apparently hating all other languages?

So what? Do you think that the EU is a perfect entity or something?:

Link to video.

There are still a quarter of a million Poles in Lithuania (even though some 60% of local Poles were deported to Poland after WW2; and many emigrated later).

Russian minority is also discriminated against, as LamaGT wrote above.

Besides, having naming rules is observed in Iceland and Germany as well, so it's not quite that odd.

Well the Baltic states never recognized Russian as an official language and Russians are generally seen quite negatively, even though they're a big minority. Of course the EU couldn't care less about Russians so they were still let in, and economically they're in good shape so it's tolerable for the Russians.

In Italian, historical names are often translated as well, which is common throughout Europe. Still, James Bond doesn't become Giacomo Bondi.

even though some 60% of local Poles were deported to Poland after WW2; and many emigrated later

For example currently the 4th oldest woman in Poland (113 years 158 days) - Łucja Sobolewska - was born in 1901 in Lithuania, near Wilno.

After World War 2, she was deported to Poland. She saw the Tsar and one of her great-grandmothers was from the Radziwiłł family.

Of course the EU couldn't care less about Russians

But Polish minority in Lithuania - led by Waldemar Tomaszewski - are actively fighting for their rights.

And indeed, since Lithuania's accession to the EU (May 2004), situation of Poles in Lithuania is gradually improving.

Polish and Russian minorities in Lithuania are united politically in most elections. So situation of Russians is also improving.

Waldemar Tomaszewski - leader of Polish minority - is one of 12 MEPs from Lithuania in the European Parliament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdemar_Tomaševski

Valdemar Tomaševski, in Polish orthography Waldemar Tomaszewski, is a Polish Lithuanian politician who is also an activist for the Polish minority in Lithuania and Member of the European Parliament. Leader of the Electoral Action of Poles in Lithuania (LLRA), Tomaševski has been a MEP since 2009.

Jaime Nudo ftw. Thank God in Spain they aren't as translation-crazy as other places, cause the name is horrible.

State claims

If it's unclear, those strips claimed by Connecticut and Massachusets are also claimed by Virginia.
I'm curious as too what the virginians aganda was.
And also what made Massachusets and Connecticut thought that was a viable idea.

What is Virginia doing in Michigan and south of Manitoba?

edit: I just looked at a modern map. Western Virginia is a thing. Okay, and it's close to Ohio. That makes a bit more sense. ;)

Seems like they really liked their land grabs. What chance was there at any point in history for Virginia to become its own independent nation? It's technically a "Commonwealth", isn't it?

What does a commonwealth mean in this context?
How would it have differed from a colony then or a state today?

It is of absolutely no significance. Commonwealth is just a name. Virginia is a state like any other in USA (besides its old ambitions)

The central government,most likely.
I'd also imagine the other states wouldn't like it.

I like Northern Ontario and Northwest Ontario.

What's up with the Carribean islands? I was not aware that Canadia had colonies in the Carribean.

They were also very sneaky and stole Maine and Vermont.

Top Bottom