Australian Summer Patch discussion thread

took them long enough for the workshop. but so far what i can see there are better mods here :lol:

Players can now build obsoleted units if they do not have access to the strategic resource required by the upgrade unit.'

Really happy with these two :D especially the second! Hopefully if you do not have an encampment you may be able to build the last unit that didn't require two resources as well. Has anyone seen that in there games yet?

I doubt lack of encampment will give old units. There is a reason why strategic resources are moved tech earlier.
Still, if anyone confirms how it works, please post here.

At 1st, I thought "Great, let's try this new Australian leader..".
But, no. No one (yet) from this continent when I browse my available leaders.
All available DLC are activated, and no DLC concerning Australia.

I guess it will come later, and this heavy patch (+1.5gb?) is mostly about improvements, et prepares the ground for more, at least, it is what a message suggests when I open the game ...

Now it seems like the last build bug is gonna stay forever with this game. Absurdly no hope left for devs to fix it. Is there a way for a mod to fix it with the new modding tools?

I believe this is new and not in the patch notes. On the tech tree, there now are blue icons with numbers for the techs that give envoys. No icons yet for abilities like embarkation.

Confirmed several things that have not been improved. Create game doesn't remember settings from previous game. No Hall of Fame.

The trade deals I've been getting from the AI seem better than in the past.

Like I expected, the patch is underwhelming and did not made me curious to try it out. Hmm I'll look again in a couple of months with the next patch.

Just reading the patch notes gives me the impression that they spend way more time on DLCs (and hyping them) than working on the core game. What about the glaring UI issues, the lack of information, the lack of units overall in the game, the flat tech tree. Just tweaking a few numbers here or there won't cut it for me.
I don't mention the AI as I am sure Firaxis won't be capable to fix it as long as we have 1upt.

So nothing about AI combat behaviour?
This is what interests me the most, too. By far the biggest problem in the game. A more aggressive AI does little good if their combat behaviour remains as bad as it's been.

Will be able to try a game in a couple of hours. Modest hopes.

A little more bare than I would have hoped, but changes to the tech tree might have a big impact (struggling to visualise it off the top of my head)

Either way I'm sure the increased modding tools will more than make up for any shortcomings the official patch has.

I can't start a new game with the patch. I get a brief glimpse of the starting position and then CTD. Tried verifying game files and reinstalled VC redistributables, but no dice. Old saves load OK and luckily I always create a manual save when starting a new game, so I have a bunch of those. Could someone post a standard sized deity start save with John Curtin as leader, so I could try loading that, please?

Edit: got one, and it works, just can't create a new game.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of this solution because it reduces the value of settling near water, and hurts Victoria (an already weak leader/civ) quite a bit.

I agree with you. While Commercials Districts could use a nerf, this mainly just ends up harming Harbors. Between water tiles being weak and Great Admirals being crappy, I would rather have a Commercial District over a Harbor District 90% of the time.

I'm glad that they slowed down the tech tree a bit. Often times civs were getting horsemen or knights ridiculously early (like horsemen way before swordsmen could possibly be fielded - made swordsmen worthless in many games.)

So archery is needed for horseback riding... hmm.
Computers doesn't need Printing.
Robotics doesn't need Machinery/Metal Casting/Steel/Replaceable Parts.
Nanotechnology doesn't need Mathematics/Education/Scientific Theory/Electricity.
And Uranium, Nuclear Fission, AND NUCLEAR FUSION don't need Chemistry.

Yup, tech tree is perfect.

I am utterly puzzled why they didn't address the "completely skip Medieval era" problem by jumping straight from Shipbuilding to Cartography! :mad:

I don't see any mention of district cost changing either. It feels like such an annoying exploit that you have to place them without actually building them just to lock in the price.

Eh, I don't think of it as an exploit. It often results in non-ideal district placement because of the slow cultural border expansion in Civ VI.

I usually don't place districts early because I would rather wait for the perfect spot!

Please use some mods if you don't like the way the vanilla game plays. There are now mods in the workshop which fixes that last production message and mods which change the tech tree and mods which improve ai behaviour...you can play a damn good game with a few addons and you still get achievements...too many give up too easy without even checking things.

As for Australia:
Because bonuses are so skewed toward early game ones being the best, they are up there with Gorgo in terms of early level runaway. I popped an early campus with +6 or something like that right away and ran away with the game from there. Being able to have every commercial hub come in with around +4ish just gives you such an early lead. Unfortunately, the bonus doesn't work with IZ, which is the one that needed it the most. Pasture culture bombs were cool. Didn't even get to duggers.

I had time to play about 100 turns with Aus, so I haven't quite got to the runaway effect you're describing, but I can see it happening. I built two +6 campuses in my first two cities and I'm blasting through the tech tree already. Their bonus coastal housing is deceptively powerful as well, 9 housing in the capital from turn 1 is nuts. My impression is that playing Australia almost feels like dropping a civ that follows Civ V's rules into the game :lol:

No UI changes. Every single issue I had still persists. I still have to dig for information that should be a tooltip away. The city screen UI is still incompetent with that pointless overlap. Last built bug is still present.

You have GOT to be kidding me!

No UI changes. Every single issue I had still persists. I still have to dig for information that should be a tooltip away. The city screen UI is still incompetent with that pointless overlap. Last built bug is still present.

Hey now, they are focusing on the important things first. Did you not even notice that AIs will now properly research repeatable techs?

Top Bottom