C2C _ Unhealthiness Mod

These are not events and all disease events will be replaced by this system.

Sounds great! :goodjob:

I like how your system works. I see this could work well with TB's system on units to where the units could spread it to the cities.

Likewise I had additional ideas.

National Pandemic
If a certain % of your total cities get Outbreaks then you trigger a "National Pandemic" which highly increases unhappiness and revolutions.

Global Pandemic
If a certain % of all total cities get National Pandemics then a "Global Pandemic" is triggered for all. I am not sure what this would do but it should be terrible for everyone.

Global Pandemic would need to be limited by trade network. Eg a plague pandemic in the old world would not have an effect in the new before contact.

Is it possible to have a very fast property that spreads by trade network? If so that could be used as an indicator of which group is affected....

But that is only in your nation. It needs to spread to other nations cities also if they are connected by a trade route. Just like the plague got to Venice from China ad from there through out the countries of Europe.

I am sure I have asked about this before, I'll check my printouts to see if I have an answer.

@Hydro do you have buttons for Disease buildings that

- reduce the effect/prevent a disease
- an outbreak of disease
- temporary immunity
- cure
- immunization program (national)
- eradication program (UN)?

I can do most of what we want using buildings and auto buildings with just a little bit of Python. So we may as well use the same icon for all like we do for disease. Probably need the tga icon as for the city building list as well. In the mean time I will just use the disease icon.

Seriously, even with 300 disease, thse unhealth are not able to make my cities unhealthy...
I think some mortal disease have o gove something like 0,1 or 0,2 unhealth/population or even 0,4 for a good bubonic plague, just like sewer system like 0,15 health/population.

Seriously, even with 300 disease, thse unhealth are not able to make my cities unhealthy...
<snip>

I'd like to see some screenshots of this!

JosEPh :rolleyes:

I think some mortal disease have o gove something like 0,1 or 0,2 unhealth/population or even 0,4 for a good bubonic plague, just like sewer system like 0,15 health/population.

The disease part of the unhealthiness component of C2C has been in place for awhile. It basically auto builds disease buildings when your disease property gets beyond a certain level. They mostly just increase :yuck:. This has one slight problem the Druid and Shaman religions allow you build cathedral level buildings which ignore all :yuck: from all buildings. This includes the disease ones.

I am currently expanding the diseases to give more "realistic" results and replace the disease events with something based just on the disease level of your cities. For example Malaria will reduce the :hammers: and slow the growth of your cities. Outbreaks of disease will increase both in frequency and in severity maybe even killing large numbers of your population.

This has one slight problem the Druid and Shaman religions allow you build cathedral level buildings which ignore all :yuck: from all buildings. This includes the disease ones.

The way this game has gone toward relying heavily on building based disease and unhappiness to represent negative feedback cycles makes the ability to have builds/wonders that allow ignoring all unhealthiness or unhappiness from buildings to be very unbalancing.

There have been buildings that do this since Civ IV vanilla:lol. The makers of the properties and attendant buildings did not take that into consideration. The Druid and Shaman cathedrals are just the earliest buildings to do this.

I know there were some in CiVIV vanilla. When I said "this game" I meant "this mod". in the sense that the issue what was nice later game effect in CivIV has become far more powerful/unbalancing in this mod.

The fact that disease effects cap out at a level of 200 really needs to be addressed.

One thing our current model doesn't deal with is the degree to which the disease is present in your civ. The common cold is a minor ailment, but if everyone had it all the time, that makes it major.

I) For each 100 disease above the trigger level, you could have the effects double.
II) Local plague (ie. 'epidemic') events were commonplace in Europe for centuries after the Black Death (and presumably before it too). Common (ie. more common;)) 'outbreak' events with each of the various diseases as prereqs might be our solution.

The fact that disease effects cap out at a level of 200 really needs to be addressed.

One thing our current model doesn't deal with is the degree to which the disease is present in your civ. The common cold is a minor ailment, but if everyone had it all the time, that makes it major.

I) For each 100 disease above the trigger level, you could have the effects double.
II) Local plague (ie. 'epidemic') events were commonplace in Europe for centuries after the Black Death (and presumably before it too). Common (ie. more common;)) 'outbreak' events with each of the various diseases as prereqs might be our solution.
All of that will be fully addressed with the advanced disease mechanism as soon as I can get to working on it again. The request to make this system more generic has held this project up by more than a year at this point. Just because it's held up doesn't mean it's dead. However, once completed on this end I will LOVE getting some assistance with the massive amount of planning and development it will take to fully implement the diseases at that point. We have some good placeholders now. Some of these placeholders may become more than just that - DH's mechanism for malaria for example may be better handled with a more dedicated structure such as what he's designed. Though I'm not sure yet where the chips will eventually fall.

There's a lot of plans that have been made that are just taking time to come to fruition - particularly since I'm adopting more of a fix what's broken before adding more approach lately. Patience is all I'm asking for.

A simple proposition to make the unhealthiness a bit more dynamic:
- Implement several "levels" of disease (ex. malaria I at 50:yuck:, malaria II at 100:yuck, etc.)
- Give each level not only a :yuck: penalty, but also one or more :nuke: (the disease symbol) to represent the fact that, if not contained, diseases may become worse, then epidemic. This means that when a disease appears, the more you wait to fight it, the harder it will be to eliminate it (along with more severe effects).
- In order to avoid getting things out of control, the disease might be eliminated or severely reduced at some point along with a big penalty. For example, reaching malaria VI may reduce the population by 50%, bring the disease back to level I and lower the :nuke: to 50 (we could even have various "ultimate effects" depending on the disease).

Applying this with all the current diseases would be overkill, so it would also require either to strongly reduce the number of diseases (simpler, but blander) or that crossing each threshold (50:nuke:, 100:nuke:, etc.) increases the level of only one disease (picked at random among those present in the city).

Top Bottom