C3C PBEM - "The Cold War Deluxe; 1960 - 1989" Scenario

El Justo

Deity
okay...i'm completely new at this PBEM stuff but i do know Scenarios :p

anyhow, we're looking for a few people who'd like to try this hog out in a multi-player email setting.

here is the link to the "TCW" thread in the scenarios forum.

the scenario runs with no bugs whatsoever. i've spent just about every free momemt over the last 6 months putting this thing together and can confidently assure everyone that it runs very, very smoothly.

i can get into more specifics about the scenario itself but the title is pretty much self-explanatory.

there's 30 total civs and 2 locked alliances, either your're w/ the commies or you're not.

more later.......

I'd love to try.

Any civ will do, e-mail is gbianezzi(AT)uol(DOT)com(DOT)br

PS.: Are you planning on 30 human players?? I think there can be only 8...

Bianezzi said:
I'd love to try.

Any civ will do, e-mail is gbianezzi(AT)uol(DOT)com(DOT)br

PS.: Are you planning on 30 human players?? I think there can be only 8...
Bianezzi,

we're still in the early stages of gathering PBEM support. i mean, the scenario is nearly 100% polished as far as game-play is concerned.

i'd suggest that you check out the scenario thread and familiarize yourself w/ it some before diving in.

no, no, no. 30 human players would take yrs to finish! i'd say anywhere from 4-8 would be a nice start.

Brazil is a civ, too. ;)

also, for informational purposes, here's a link to all of the TCW Unit stats/tech requirements for the scenario. it is a spreadsheet that a friend of mine made for the scenario.

well, it appears that the wretched "8 civ limit" for PBEM has thrown a 'monkey wrench' into my TCW PBEM plans.

would people be interested in a 7 civ + 1 large neutral civ version? it'd take away from the breadth of the scenario but it's doable i s'pose.

I know, it takes a lot of the fun of playing huge games.

You could set one civ per continent/ideology, though. It isn't ideal, but it can work.

1. USA
2. URSS
3. Western Europe
4. SEATO (Japan, Australia, etc.)
5. Indochina (China+Southern Asia+India)
6. Arab League
7. South America
8. Israel

Africa would be a battlefield for americans and soviets.

Did I miss something?

Can i sign up? i don't care about what civ i get. i'll pm you my email signature.

i have both good news and bad regarding MP mode for The Cold War Deluxe...

first, the bad news:
i just can't find it in my heart to 'group' the civs together so that it meets the 8 civ MP limit. it'll just ruin the whole balance of everything not to mention the full scale revisions that i'd have to do in the editor for the units. it's just too much.

now, the good news (and good news it is!):
i am determined to make a true MP version that is based on The Cold War Deluxe scenario and i have figured that i'd make an 8 civ scenario based entirely off of the TCW folders; thus all of the units and many of the TCW civs would be included.

as a result of all of this i can now say that i'm currently working on "The TCW Series - The Domino Theory". it is essentially an eastern asian scenario that will focus on Vietnam and Korea. all of the units from TCW, all of the techs, the Civilopedia, everything really will be included. it'll be on a "WW2 in the Pacific" type map and will have the following civs (some may be combined or altered):
USA
China/North Korea
Australia/NZ
North Vietnam/Laos
S Vietnam
Thailand/Cambodia
Indonesia/Malaysia
Japan/S Korea/Philippines/Taiwan

victory point scoring will be enabled

locked alliances will also be in effect

once ready to go, this scenario will demand that you DL the large TCW file w/ all of the units, art work, etc. in other words, it'll 'piggy-back' off of TCW

lastly, i making this version pretty much for MP and PBEM games but it'll be perfectly playable in single player mode. i really want to see how it all shakes out when each civ is controlled by a human player. i assume that there'd be a huge difference...

Attachments

• TCW-TDT.JPG
    TCW-TDT.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,046
I like that idea :) I'm in, but how big is that map? Also, since it's focusing on Vietnam and Korea, does that mean that the timeframe will be different (Korea was 1950-1953 and wouldn't fit into the normal timeline, and since Vietnam ended in 1975 there wouldn't be a point in going too far past that.)

viper275 said:
I like that idea :) I'm in, but how big is that map? Also, since it's focusing on Vietnam and Korea, does that mean that the timeframe will be different (Korea was 1950-1953 and wouldn't fit into the normal timeline, and since Vietnam ended in 1975 there wouldn't be a point in going too far past that.)

- the map size is 140x210 (el mencey's "Pacifico" map). i've begun placing cities and modding terrain.

- time frame is Jan '61 to Dec '75. yes, the korea war was very well done by then but they've always been 'looming'. a divided vietnam would be the highlight i s'pose.

- i'd advise anyone who would want to play to at least look through the TCW thread for all of it's info on units, techs, limitations, etc. i have the update ready for probably Jan 28, 2005.

Attachments

• TCW-TDTUSA.JPG
    TCW-TDTUSA.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,022
update:

still working on the SE Asia version. i've begun to place cities on the map and explore the precise unit lines for the 8 available civs.

an 8 civ true mod w/ a random map may be in the works also.

i can't venture to say a precise completion date for either but it is all in the works.

Just because I like to cause problems:

You could start the scenario with the Korean war AND the French Indochina War going on. That way you would have Vietnam and Korea both active. Since I doubt there is room for France, just give the Americans the French troops and work from there.

Thats close enough to history, AND it gives you an excuse to have both wars raging ;p

EDIT: Since everyone capable of playing has access to the standard set of WWII units, you could just add a stagnation tech and preplace a few of the standard WWII units if the scenario doesnt come with them as part of the tree.

The wars rage, civs develop, and the logical progression to the later era units is maintained.

remeber the Wikipedia! ;p

Aeon221 said:
Just because I like to cause problems:

You could start the scenario with the Korean war AND the French Indochina War going on. That way you would have Vietnam and Korea both active. Since I doubt there is room for France, just give the Americans the French troops and work from there.

Thats close enough to history, AND it gives you an excuse to have both wars raging ;p

EDIT: Since everyone capable of playing has access to the standard set of WWII units, you could just add a stagnation tech and preplace a few of the standard WWII units if the scenario doesnt come with them as part of the tree.

The wars rage, civs develop, and the logical progression to the later era units is maintained.

remeber the Wikipedia! ;p
hey, no problems caused ;)

i like the idea of including the korean and vietnam positions simultaneously. it's going to boil down to which map we end up going with. i say this b/c i'm encountering some 'tile space' issues for a few of the included civs.

re the units:
i can forsee a small (5 or 6 mbs tops) DL folder for a scenario like this. it may have a few new unit gfx but for the most part, it'll be 'skeleton files' w/ INIs only. however, everyone would have to DL the large TCW folder in that thread and a version of TCW such as this one would run directly off of those files. we'd have to 'dump' any add-on units for this scenario into the main TCW folder. we'd also have to back up the TCW Text folder in order to insert the Vietnam/Korea Text.

re a 'stagnant tech tree':
TCW's first era, "Post War", encompasses approximately 1946-1959. only the 3rd world-type civs actually start in this era but it could be utilized for this scenario.

UPDATE - Feb 2, 2005

okay, we've finally settled on a map to use. it's the Indochina map by el mencey. we arrived at this conclusion b/cit allows us to have a whole bunch of cities for every civ rather than the mish-mash we were working w/ on the last map.

i've begun to place cities and so far (final count probably), South Vietnam has a total of 27 cities. you can expect N Vietnam to have about the same.

the new list of civs (not really new but updated ;) )

China
N Vietnam
Pathet Lao
Khmer Rouge
Laos
Cambodia
Thailand
S Vietnam

american & soviet hardware will be implemented through autoproducing wonders in their respective cities. it's a tricky procees this autoproducing crap but it'll work out fine in the end...

Attachments

• indochina_l.jpg
    indochina_l.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 989
here's the latest update for the Vietnam MP/PBEM scenario:

red: China
black: N Vietnam
ivory: Laos
grey: Pathet Lao
burgandy: Khmer Rouge
green: S Vietnam
tan: Cambodia
brown: Thailand

Attachments

• TCWIndochina.bmp
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,001
Feb 4 UPDATE

while i didn't get much done yesterday, a CFC friend of mine, Rita Poon, informed me that he's to make a flag pack (leaderheads) for this scenario.

check it out. it's pretty cool!

Attachments

• VietFlags.bmp
    306.4 KB · Views: 967
Top Bottom