C3C PBEM - "The Cold War Deluxe; 1960 - 1989" Scenario

i would like to play any one, but i'll be surely waiting for the vietnam one, i am expecting it to be one (if not the one!) of my favourite scenarios ever!

i'm sure a lot of people are eagerly waiting for it!

however, as i said, i'd like to participate in the tcw one, if you don't mind! (i'm not really a very good civ player)

keep up the good work ! :)

@Drivebymaster,

i'll try and look over the list we spoke of for the next civ to enter/alter on the MP map. i'm just swamped over the next few days.

Vietnam update Feb 11, 2005:
i think i have the foot unit lines assembled. i could probably release some info on it later when i'm at my home PC. i'm quite pleased actually; especially w/ some of the unit gfx. there gonna look cool.

Vietnam Feb 12, 2005 update:

i think i've found a base for the foot unit lines. i've been only able to put in about 1/5 of them in so far but here's an in-game screenshot near the DMZ.

the fellow w/ the pointy hat is a Viet Cong Guerilla, the dude w/ the red beret is an ARVN Paratrooper (i'm changing these gfx btw to something more green), ARVN Infantry (highlighted), Royal Lao, Royal Thai and Royal Khmer Infantry (each share the same gfx) and a few MG Battalions.

i've also tinkered w/ the idea of giving ARVN foot units higher firepower in general (american arms, etc) but a -1 HP penalty. it's yet to be tested but it seems fair enough.

also, if you look in the south-central area of the screenshot you'll see Hunter's barricade gfx. maybe give a foot unit the "build fortress" flag (Engineer Btln)??? a quasi 'firebase' or 'depot' of sorts...

Attachments

• TCW-TDTARVN.JPG
    TCW-TDTARVN.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 199
Is (light) artillery going to be airdroppable for the S Vietnamese? That would add a new element to the game!

Definitely add an engineer who can build those things... barricades, right? Might want to replace the default graphic for the fortresses too, because they kinda look weird with the rest of it.

Aeon221 said:
Is (light) artillery going to be airdroppable for the S Vietnamese? That would add a new element to the game!

Definitely add an engineer who can build those things... barricades, right? Might want to replace the default graphic for the fortresses too, because they kinda look weird with the rest of it.
yes. light arty will be air transportable.

i like the idea of an Eng Btln. it's good to have units like this b/c it helps fill out a tech tree.

looks better than i thought!

the hunter's barricade looks awesome!

imho you should'nt have the arvn infantry's stats better than the nva's because, in spite of having american weapons and training, they performed really badly when they didn't have american support. in fact they only won a few battles without american help i think.

keep up the good work, it really looks like a scenario to remember :)

ps: are you gonna give the vc any special ability? like all terrain as roads or something like that? i think it would be realistic to have something to help them escape from combats or move fast. you can also have it movement 2 or 3 and ignore movement costs for jungles. what do you think?

UPDATE Feb 13, 2005

the foot unit lines:

china: pla inf, marine, paratrooper, MG Btln (single gfx for all MGs), mortar
NV: Nva Inf, VC, PAVN Irregular (militia-type unit), NLF Guerilla, MG Btln, Mortar, Sapper (will have a role like Spies in TCW-very low A/D, invisible, high mvmt and/or ATR)
KR: Khmer Reg, Khmer Guerilla (higer mvmt/ATR, lower A/D or -1 HP), MG, mortar, sapper
PL: Pathet Lao Reg, PL Guerilla (same as kh guer), MG, mortar, sapper
Camb: Royal Khmer Inf, Royal Km Paratrooper, MG, mortar, Border Guard (or likeminded militia-type unit)
Laos: Royal Lao Inf, RL Paratrooper, Hmong Mercenary (militia-like unit), MG, mortar
Thai: Royal Thai Inf, RT Marine, TR Paratrooper, MG, mortar
SV: ARVN Inf, ARVN Para, MG, mortar, US GI, US Marine, ANZAC inf, S Korean Inf US Ranger, CIA Op (all but the ARVN, MG and mortar to be autopro'd)

bear in mind that each and every civ ought to be playable.

karzydude,

i haven't pinned down the exact unit stats for the foot units yet. however, i'm considering gving all ARVN units a -1HP penalty (the base HP is 4 not 3).

VC units ought to have the ATR flag and no HP penalty.

oh my they look explendid! the pathet lao and kmer look a bit different, maybe with a more dark brown they would be better, but that is just a detail! don't bother changing it if it gives you much work!

i'm really looking forward to see this released! :)

how are you considering to implement tanks in this scenario? they were not very important in vietnam, because of terrain... maybe you should just make them autoproduced (m-48 for sv and t-55 for nv ?) with long turn intervals, to keep them useful but not decisive in the scenario.

maybe those were the major armor in the war, also important was the m113 apc, but i don't think it would be important here, as the ai doesn't use land transports... :(

more important yet than tanks where the us hueys. are you planning to implement them? it's no use to make them transport units, as the ai won't use them, if you want to add them, i think it would be better to make them a land unit with ignore movement cost for all terrains.

tell me what you think, as always, if you need a hand, i'll see what i can do! :)

krazydude,

all armour (mbts and apcs) will be autopro'd and the MBTs will have longer interevals between turns. all air units besides uh1 and ach47 helis (SV only).

i've tried helis as land units and to be honest, i'd rather keep them an air unit. you're right about the ai not using them properly but they'll be indispensable for the human player (MP/PBEM/single player).

wheeled units (all armour and 155mm arty) will be restricted from travelling over a jungle, rice paddy (yes!) or mountian tile w/out a road being present.

so, controlling or regulating the amount of worker units on the map will be a premium (same as in TCW).

there'll most likely be a 3-tiered worker units structure for the vietnam scenario.

the first (pictured) is a "Peasant Militia/Worker" unit (available to all, buildable, 1A/4D, can irrigate/build mine/clean poll only, 33% worker rate). i even plugged in worker animations into the unit's folder. it looks pretty cool in-game, too.

the second is an autopro'd "Civil Engineer" unit which will be able to do all of the above @ 100% worker rate + build road. 0A/0D

the third will be an autopro'd "Eng Btln" who will work at around 150%, be able to build roads & paved roads (f/k/a RRs) and also build firebases (fortresses).

Attachments

• TCWTDTpeasant.JPG
    TCWTDTpeasant.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 160
El Justo,
Looks like this is going to be one kick butt scenario!
If I may, I have a minor suggestion concerning the VC units. Why not give them an invisible tag. This would effectively simulate their ability to "pop out of nowhere", attack a patrol, and disappear into the jungle again. The counter to that would be to give the Rangers the ability to detect them. The justification for giving the Rangers this ability is their advanced combat training (over and above that of regular infantry or airbourne troops) and the fact that there is no Green Beret unit listed in your post detailing the ground units available to date.

Top Bottom