C3C PBEM - "The Cold War Deluxe; 1960 - 1989" Scenario

krazydude said:
great! i recommend you use the same terrain graphics as the other vietnam scenario, as it is indeed "eye-catching"!

i look forward to see this released!

if you need a hand, i can always see what i can do ;)
krazydude,

yes, i've considered using Cordy's Terrain pack for this one, too.

at present, we're (Klyden and I) trying to configure the foot unit lines for all of the civs...

it's not as easy as you may think.

for example, in TCW, we have a diverse line of foot units; ie, each one has a specific ability like "amphibious" or "airdrop" or the standard infantry type. well, the north vietnamese never sent paratroopers into s vietnam nor did they have a Marine branch of the NVA. while it's easy to 'plug in' units for civs like NV (NVA Infatry, Viet Cong, Sapper?, NLF Infantry?), the other civs like Khmer Rouge and Pathet Lao will present a more difficult position.

it is 'balance' that we're looking for; not really all of these new and shiny units.

the important thing is to have units in there that have a specific purpose and not just to 'fill space'.

such purposes could be:
defense
offense
paradrop
pillage
explore/recon

now, not all civs will or should have to have units that fall in the above categories but it's something to chew on...

yes, if a scenario isn't balanced people will get bored after a few turns, especially if a players sees no way of "turning the tide" :p

you are absolutely right about having units covering all those different aspects (it is also a way to keep AI building different units).

a lot of units just to "fill space" is of course not a good idea, but you can think in other terms: some autoproduced units (even if they are not necessary or have weaker stats) can create a good diversity on the scenario and a more planned battle strategy.

for example, you could have an SV improvement that autoproduces a canadian infantry (few of course), even if they are weaker than ARVN or US GI's. if managed well they could be decisive in some battles and they would add realism to the scenario!

that's just my idea, but i think it could be very nice to have some units like that :)

krazydude said:
yes, if a scenario isn't balanced people will get bored after a few turns, especially if a players sees no way of "turning the tide" :p

you are absolutely right about having units covering all those different aspects (it is also a way to keep AI building different units).

a lot of units just to "fill space" is of course not a good idea, but you can think in other terms: some autoproduced units (even if they are not necessary or have weaker stats) can create a good diversity on the scenario and a more planned battle strategy.

for example, you could have an SV improvement that autoproduces a canadian infantry (few of course), even if they are weaker than ARVN or US GI's. if managed well they could be decisive in some battles and they would add realism to the scenario!

that's just my idea, but i think it could be very nice to have some units like that :)
yes. we plan on implementing the following for the ARVN:

ARVN Infantry
ARVN Airborne Infantry (yes! they had an airborne wing; albeit a weak one)
US GI (autoproduced)
US Marine (autoproduced)
US Ranger Special Forces (autoproduced)
CIA Operative (autoproduced)
ANZAC Infantry (autoproduced)
South Korean Infantry (autoproduced)

now, i'll have to dig around some for the lesser civs in order to fill out the lines. some may be 'shorted' but hey, that's life (a history, too) ;)

I guess this map is ok, but I would really have loved to see the larger one. Oh well, thats life ;p

Are you going to have an American pullout tech that removes these autoproducers? I dont think anyone would research it without some significant benefits, but you probably should find a way to get rid of them over time considering.

You are really starting to pump these things (scenarios) out ;p

Aeon221 said:
I guess this map is ok, but I would really have loved to see the larger one. Oh well, thats life ;p

Are you going to have an American pullout tech that removes these autoproducers? I dont think anyone would research it without some significant benefits, but you probably should find a way to get rid of them over time considering.

You are really starting to pump these things (scenarios) out ;p
Aeon221,

i wanted the large one, too but it just didn't work out. however, you may be happy to know that the new map, though it looks smaller, is much larger in scale. for example, the trans-pacific map only allowed me to fit something like 6 or 7 cities in N and S Vietnam. unacceptable IMO.

the indochina map allowed me place 27 cities in S Vietnam alone! much, much better if you ask me.

the tech tree is something i'm going to have to rethink. i wanted to use the TCW 1960-1975 era but it's just not going to work. i may have to dig into the older Vietnam War scenario that's still floating around the scenarios forum and try to get some ideas. after all, Luddi VII and i collaborated on that one so it's legit i guess. however, your idea for an "American Pullout" tech is crafty. i like it.

I LOVE THAT SCENARIO!

I reworked parts of it and sent him a copy of the biq, but I havent heard back. There were some problems, but it was just so much fun!

I guess this map works... It would have kinda been stupid to have Vietnam with only 7 cities... now it will be a long... slow... painful... bloodbath!

Make sure to add some kind of Agent Orange defoliant... maybe rename clear wetlands to Use Agent Orange (not exactly right... but still, a nice touch).

Saaaaweet! I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

On another note, dont you think this thread should be moved to scenario creation?

Ok El as you know I sent you the random Biq.

But for PBEM we must set ground rules!!!
TRY NOT TO RAZE CITIES KEEP THEM!!!!
One more time TRY NOT TO RAZE CITIES KEEP THEM!!!!
On the random there is no alliance and it is a deathmatch the winner is the one who survives.

krazydude said:
el justo did you stop working on vietnam scenario?
i'm wondering since you didn't have any news for a while.

as always, if you need a hand, i can see what i can do :)
the vietnam one is coming along albeit slowly. here is a shot of the new terrain pack (Cordy's) i'm using for this scenario.

the area pictured is near the DMZ...

Attachments

• TCW56th.JPG
    TCW56th.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 180
Blackbird_SR-71 said:
Do you have any set date that this would be released?
nah. not yet. i can say that it's coming along though. the foot unit lines are coming together and the map is placed...

@krazydude,
those are some fancy colors, eh?

Drivebymaster said:
Whoo El nice job!!!!! this'll be a fun PBEM mod
you'll like this one, too...

here's a shot of the 8 civ TCW random map (preplaced cities) made specifically for MP/PBEM that Drivebymaster put together. it's quite nice, too. however, i have to go across the map to fine-tune it and place resources, improvements, etc. this one should actually be out before the vietnam thingie...

Attachments

• TCWDriveby.JPG
    TCWDriveby.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 195
i know i keep posting "creation & customization" stuff in this thread but please everyone (mods included), bear w/ me...

i had initiated the thread thinking that all i would have to do to the original TCW file would be to alter a few things and presto! an MP version! well, it's been a little more than that...

i intend to use this thread as the discussion/sign-up/diplo/play-test thread so why not use it to make announcements?

Looks good. so which one are we going to play? the one that is with TCW 8 civ or the Vietnam one?

Top Bottom