Civ 5 Design Challenge V - Theme/Focus

Keniisu

YouTuber | Modder

Every design has a theme or focus that it follows. Perhaps you want to make a leader benefiting off a certain resource, or maybe you want to make a leader who's meant to be highly military focus? This challenge is meant to be broad to allow freedom for the designers to make designs that are diverse from one another and works well. The first challenge that will be done in this thread is... *drumroll* "Make a civilization focused around Luxury Resource acquirement".

The design challenge winner will decide the next Focus, but it must be broad enough for people to make designs that can be different from one another and not too specific.

Hopefully you guys have really nice designs for this challenge. I will be submitting a design, but voting will decide the winner. Anyways, good luck Civfanatics!

:c5production: The Belgian Empire :c5production:
:c5capital: Brussels
Leopold I

UA: The Company
+5% :c5production: Production in a city for every different luxury resource in the city's workable range. Upon researching economics, +25% :c5gold: gold in a city if there is a luxury in its range.

UU: Public Guard
Replaces rifleman. Unlocked at economics. Can only be built in cities with a luxury resource; adds +1 :c5food: food, +1 :c5production: production, and +1 :c5gold: gold to the tile yield of luxuries it is stationed on, and provides +2 :c5happy: happiness when garrisoned.

UI: Station
Unlocked at trapping. Can be built on tiles with fresh water, and unlocks resources on the tile it is built. Base yield +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5gold: gold, and provides +1 :c5production: production if the city working it has a garrison. +1 additional :c5gold: gold at economics.

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY DESIGN CHALLENGES!!!!!! I may make mine today, I hope it gets some participants. As to the design, it isn't that OP when you consider most cities rarely have very many unique luxuries in range, as well as that the Public Guard can only add to luxury tile yields.

:c5production: The Belgian Empire :c5production:
:c5capital: Brussels
Leopold I

Ninja'd hardcore. Was going to do that design, but atlas I was beaten to the completion of the Wonder. Guess I'll have to settle for Temple of Artemis...

Castile (Isabella I)

UA: The Columbian Exchange -
Trade Routes :trade: made with a city that has an improved Luxury Resource you don't own grants you a copy of that resource. Each Wheat, Horse and Cattle tile provides a unique bonus to the city when worked.
Spoiler :
Wheat - Global Gold :c5gold: Production is increased by +5%.
Horse - Production :c5production: is increased by +5% in the city.
Cattle - Citizens :c5citizen: require -5% less Food :c5food: to be born.
UU: Voyager -
Replaces the Caravel. Unlike the Caravel it replaces, has +4 Extra Sight and 5 Movement :c5moves: instead of the normal values. When the Voyager is stationed in City-State :c5citystate: borders, gain a small sum of Gold :c5gold: each turn.

UB: Explorer's Port -
Unlike the Harbor it replaces, the Port provides land units trained in the city a promotion allowing them to embark with Movement :c5moves: costs. For each Luxury Resource you posses, gain +5% Gold :c5gold: on Sea Trade Routes :trade:.

This is the broadest civ design challenge possible :/

It really is :p
However though, whoever takes the cake here can basically make the challenge a little less broad. The idea behind this design challenge is to allow a more broader sense of the Mechanics design challenge. This basically means it'll see how unique you can make an idea based on a simple concept such as the one I gave. That's what I was striving for mostly. Allowing some restrictions, but promoting more creativity and uniqueness for your designs and not following a set-in-stone mechanic per say.

Hopefully you can see my reasoning/purpose and understand it to an extent. :)

Kingdom of Loango (Njimbe)
UA: Tribal Craftsmen - Upon becoming allied with each City State for the first time, receive one of 4 luxury resources*. They only provide +2 :c5happy: happiness but may be traded with other civilizations. Foreign-owned trade routes provide +1 :c5gold: gold for both you and the owner for every luxury that you possess that they do not.

UU: Mfoko - Replaces Great Merchant. Trade missions produce additional :c5gold: gold and :c5influence: influence for every luxury resource you posses. Grants a burst of faith upon founding a Customs House.

UB: Mwanzo - Replaces Market. Increases the rate of :c5greatperson: GPP for Mfoko for every trading post worked by the city. Also provides a copy of the Loango Cloth luxury.
* = Includes Kiteki (a type of idol), Mukuba (type of painting), Muzidi (a type of figurine) and Nkisi (masks/statues depicting spirits). Once you have received 2 of each you no longer receive any more.

The Makassans under Pobasso

UA: Voyage to Marege' and Kayu Jawa
May permanently remove sources of Strategic Resources in your territory in exchange for a random Luxury Resource. Gain Culture as well as Gold from resource diversity in outgoing Naval Trade Routes.

UU: Perahu
Cheaper and weaker than the Trireme, which it replaces, the Perahu may freely enter the territory of other Civilizations without Open Borders and City-States without decreasing Influence. Additionally, it has the chance to improve Luxury Resources it is adjacent to at the beginning of your turn (the resources do not have to be in your territory)

UI: Trepanger Camp
Unlocked at Currency, the Trepanger Camp must be built on Coastal Tiles and yields +1 Gold and +1 Culture, doubled if adjacent to an improved Sea Resource. In addition, it may be built in City-State territory, providing them with a copy of the Trepang Luxury Resource and increasing your Influence over them.

The Ilkhanate under Arghun Khan

UA: The Franco-Mongol Alliance
Defensive Pacts last twice as long and give a combat boost to your units, diplomats increase the opinion of a Civilisation Leader of you and establishing an embassy also gives a higher opinion boost. Gain access to unowned luxuries in allied Civilisation and City State territory.

UU: Ilkhan Embassy (Great Merchant Replacement)
Cannot build Custom Houses, gain more influence from Trade Mission than Gold and can perform a 'Foreign Mission' into another Civilisation with or without open borders. This will increase the opinion of the Leader of you and you will be gifted free units and a defensive pact.

UU: War Galley (Privateer Replacement)
Whenever you become an ally with a City State or Civilisation a War Galley spawns in all of your coastal cities. If stationed in an allied Civilisation's territory increases that Civilisation's Leader's opinion of you if you are allied with that Civilisation, however, any converted ships are given to that Civilisation.

Civ Challenge VI: Anything Goes

If y'all are interested you can hear my idea for the real life Challenge VI in the design request thread-- if we aren't already too oversaturated.
It was gonna be challenge v but then Keniisu ninja'd me to the max...

If y'all are interested you can hear my idea for the real life Challenge VI in the design request thread-- if we aren't already too oversaturated.

Yours is less broad than Keniisu's though :p

I'm actually rather fond of it.

I must say that I don't really think this is challenging...

Here's mine:

The Knights of the Golden Circle

Leader: George W. L. Bickley

UA: Slave Power: Every excess Plantation resource yields +1 :c5happy: Happiness and Plantations yield an additional +1 :c5production: Production. Workers cost no maintenance and conquering a city provides a Worker.

UU: Filibuster: Replaces the Great General. The Filibuster can enter foreign land without Open Borders and extends this ability to nearby units. The Filibuster and its units can attack foreign civs without war breaking out, however you will suffer warmonger penalties for these invasions and city captures and the Filibuster and its army cannot heal unless in friendly territory. Cities conquered by a Filibuster spawn plantation luxuries.

UB: United Fruit: Replaces the Stock Exchange but comes instead at Fertilizer. Provides +2 :c5food: Food and +2 :c5gold: Gold on Bananas and +2 :c5gold: Gold on all other Plantation resources. If this city was conquered, :trade: Internal Trade Routes from this city yield Gold like international trade routes and Plantations worked by this city have their yields transferred to the receiving city.

I'm actually thinking about making Civ Design Challange VII: Fictionland (basically making a fictional/dubious civilization based on specific requirement, can be like "The Future" or "Something from Lovecraft book") after recent Civ Design thread blooming, anyone interested?

And
VOC
Jan Pieterszoon Coen
:c5capital: Batavia

UA - Riches of East Indies
:c5greatpeople: Great Merchant may be expended to become "Shareholder"*. Gain free :c5greatpeople: Great Merchant after researching Guild. :c5trade: Trade sender count target city's luxury as it's own for all of city's :c5trade: trade route gold calculation

UW - Oost-Indisch Huis (East Indies Company)
Must be build in the same continent as your capital. Require a city to be owned in another continent. Normal East Indies Company bonus for :c5trade: trade route also apply to trade route sent by VOC. City can conduct :c5gold: gold trade with own's city in other continent

UI - Comptoir
Buildable only in another (friendly, or afraid) civilization and (allied, or intimidated) city states territory, only one allowed per civ/city states and must be overseas. +1 :c5gold: Gold yield to civ/city states per your trade route with said city. +3 :c5gold: Gold to you per local luxury in the city

Spoiler :
Each Shareholder give you a sum of gold, add +2 Great Merchant point per turn yield for Oost-Indisch Huis, and instant Cargo Ship/Caravan (Cargo Ship prioritized) if there's a slot avabile. In return, for every 50 turn (depend on game speed), 15% of the initial sum of gold is reduced from your treasury until it returned back to shareholder 200%

@SonOfGreatKoya, Fictionland sounds interesting (though voting could be difficult if one for example doesn't know the Lovecraft books)

Anyhow, here's my design:
Modern Japan (Shinzõ Abe)
UA: Land of the import: Luxury resources (that you do not own*) acquired via :trade: trading provide an additional +2 :c5happy: global happiness, and +2% :c5production: production in every city (max +10% :c5production: production per city; :c5happy: happiness is uncapped)

UU: Factory Ship*** (replaces the workboat): A factory ship only costs 75% of the :c5production: production of a normal Work Boat. May capture sea-resources to provide :c5production: production in the nearest city**.
A diplomatic penalty is applied if the resource is five or less tiles away from another civilization or city state (and is not within your borders. They don't care if you destroy the environment within your own borders).
This diplomatic penalty is global if the resource is banned by the World Congress (This penalty is also applied if you do it within your borders! Civs do care now since it's a global issue!).
Captured resources are permanently removed from the map and a factory ship is consumed after having captured a resource twice.

UB: Car Factory (replaces the factory): In addition to the normal bonuses of a factory, the Car Factory also provides +10% :c5production: production towards trade units. Furthermore, it also provides +10% :c5production: production to Armoured units (they require car-stuff (engines, wheels, etc.) as well!) during :c5war: war.
(Limiting the trade-production to Caravans would be more logical, though it wouldn't really fit since Japan is an island-based nation. Let's just say Japan's cargo ships are amphibious vehicles ;) :lol:)

*E.g. If you haven't improved your furs yet, then trade so you get furs from another civ, and then improve your furs, the UA does not apply
**Production is applied in the same way as chopping down forests/jungles.
***turns out this is an actual term: "A factory ship, also known as a fish processing vessel, is a large ocean-going vessel with extensive on-board facilities for processing and freezing caught fish or whales. Modern factory ships are automated and enlarged versions of the earlier whalers and their use for fishing has grown dramatically. Some factory ships are equipped to serve as a mother ship." -Wikipedia

Oh and since we were doing steam achievements in another design challenge, here's one as well:
Sea Shepherd: Destroy a Japanese Factory Ship when it's two or less tiles away from a Whales Resource

EDIT: Made some changes, edits are in blue

Phoenicia

Hiram
Trader Sailors

Naval technologies only cost 75% science. When a luxury resource is acquired for the first time, gain a permanent +3 gold bonus. Having excess copies of a resource provides +2 culture.

Hippoi - (replaces Trireme)
Has +1 movement and for every luxury resource tile it discovers, gain a small bonus to gold and culture.

Cothon - (replaces Harbour)
Gives +5 combat strength and the base gold from connecting to a foreign civilizations is increased from 2 to +5.

@SonOfGreatKoya, Fictionland sounds interesting (though voting could be difficult if one for example doesn't know the Lovecraft books)
Yeah, I'm also afraid if, for example, someone set the challange as "Lovecraft book", only those who know his book will submit the design...

Hopefully my old design will get more attention now...

Kilwa Sultanate(Ali ibn al-Hassan Shirazi)
UA: Venice of Southern Africa
:c5gold: Gold from resource diversity is increased by 25% per each maritime building in a city, and is later added to its :c5food: food output. :c5citystate: City states grant luxuries at double quantity when allied, and :c5gold: gold gifts generate 10% more :c5influence: influence with them for each Coastal city you own.

UU: Dhow
Replaces the Cargo ship. In addition to having a vision range of 2, it may :c5moves: cross oceans from the beginning of the game. After compass, it may be converted to a naval unit with 18 :c5strength: strength, retaining its unique properties and gaining the "coast-dweller" promotion, making it heal 5 HP when starting the turn on coast.

UI: Coconut plantation
Unlocked at Currency. Yields +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5gold: gold, and may only be built in coast tiles that aren't adjacent to each other. Taking 10 turns to build, the coconut plantation may create a copy of the coconut resource on its tile. If a copy is created, it will connect it to your :c5trade: trade network as a luxury and will have its yields doubled.

It's been a couple days since the last submission, we good to vote? If so, I'm going for Troller's Japan.

Top Bottom