Civ VI Funny/Strange Screenshots

Lovely starting position... I'd better learn to swim, fast!

1695041336664.png

Lovely starting position... I'd better learn to swim, fast!

View attachment 673038
That reminds of a Somalia (mod) game where I was hemmed to the sea by some mountains with only one land tile connecting me to the rest of the island, which was controlled by an ugly-looking Shaka. Instead of restarting I decided to continue and see how far I could go. Upon researching Shipbuilding, I trained several settlers to capture 1-3 tile islands. Production was super slow, but I managed to build up a large fleet of galleys eventually. Then I declared war on Mali who were similarly occupying some 1-3 tile islands to the north of Zulu Island, and completely conquered them using only galleys. To the west of the Mali Islands was an entirely unclaimed continent, so I trained more settlers to colonise, only to run up against a more technologically advanced Inca, whose crossbowmen sunk most of my fleet, forcing me to make peace.

I ended up chucking the game later on, don't remember why, but it was one of my memorable playthroughs.

@MrRadar... Sorry, I immediately hit restart and moved on, so no saves.

@AntSou... I'm playing deity. By the time I've got shipbuilding the AI is already into the renaissance. I'd never have a chance to catch up after such a slow start. Particularly with a total of six tiles for food, production, and districts!

@MrRadar... Sorry, I immediately hit restart and moved on, so no saves.

@AntSou... I'm playing deity. By the time I've got shipbuilding the AI is already into the renaissance. I'd never have a chance to catch up after such a slow start. Particularly with a total of six tiles for food, production, and districts!

You have some nice campus spots, so you could maybe make it work. You also can "escape" with land units if you can get an encampment down on the other side of the mountain range, although that doesn't let you get settlers out, just units.

And at least you don't have to worry about the deity AI invading you...

Possible Outcomes: 75% Chance of Time Travel Paradox

With -2 turns, in theory you should already know the result before deciding whether to proceed :)

You could even steal Gold before it was even created!

2023-10-11_00h43_12.png

Is a mod interfering? Never had this issue with the base game.

No, this is "normal" behavior from the base game. It is possible to reach -125% spy time if we do the following:
  • Give the Linguist promotion to your Spy (-25%)
  • Slot the Machiavellianism policy card (-25%)
  • Pick the Bodyguard of Lies dedication at the start of a Golden Age (-25%)
  • Become Culturally Dominantover the target civilization (-50%)
    • This one is a "recent" addition, added in the April 2021 update (the one with the Men-At-Arms). It provides new ongoing effects against civilizations you are culturally dominant such as +4 Gold from international Trade Routes to their cities, -50% time on spy missions completion in their cities, and +25% Loyalty pressure from citizen on their cities as well.

Having -125% spy time missions makes a 8 turns mission into a -2 turns mission. It messes with the Siphon Funds mission, as it steals the GPT of the city, and GPT of -2 turns is... well negative Gold. Hopefully on completion, it counts as 0 turns so we are stealing 0 Gold (instead of losing Gold or making the targeted Civilization gain Gold). Which is still bad and useless, but not detrimental.

What a sad way to conclude the updates of the game.
Thanks for the explanation.

They are still doing some micro-updates to fix the game. Should I hope they address this weird behavior? They could change how the cultural domination reduces the spy time mission, and change how the Siphon Funds works:
  • For the Spy Time Mission, either:
    • Reduces the -50% time to -25%. It would makes Cultural Domination less good, but at least it doesn't gives a negative amount of turns. Still wrong to have a 0 turns duration (-100%), but no longer a weird negative duration
    • Reduce the -50% time to a "half" time:
      • Mission would last 4 turns instead of 8 turns if Culturally dominant (Standard speed).
      • Linguist, Machiavellianism and Bodyguard of Lies would work on the half Time if Culturally dominant, so -1 turn instead of -2 turns.
      • When everything aligns, instead of having -125% Time therefore -2 turns duration, we would have -75% of half Time therefore 1 turn. It should fix the duration for all speed settings.
  • For the Siphon Frauds: a cap of minimum 1 turn worth of Gold produced by the city during the turn should do the trick, as the Spy still take 1 turn to do it. It would be still weird that the mission becomes less effective when the spy is faster, but at least it couldn't be made useless when reaching <1 turn duration.

Top Bottom