Civ VI Funny/Strange Screenshots

No, this is "normal" behavior from the base game. It is possible to reach -125% spy time if we do the following:
  • Give the Linguist promotion to your Spy (-25%)
  • Slot the Machiavellianism policy card (-25%)
  • Pick the Bodyguard of Lies dedication at the start of a Golden Age (-25%)
  • Become Culturally Dominantover the target civilization (-50%)
    • This one is a "recent" addition, added in the April 2021 update (the one with the Men-At-Arms). It provides new ongoing effects against civilizations you are culturally dominant such as +4 Gold from international Trade Routes to their cities, -50% time on spy missions completion in their cities, and +25% Loyalty pressure from citizen on their cities as well.

Having -125% spy time missions makes a 8 turns mission into a -2 turns mission.
This is exactly the setup I had in the game. Thanks for breaking it down!

I once had to settle a new city in late game for the sole reason of placing a canal so that my navy could cross from one side of a continent to the other, bought the districts with Reyna, Contractor title unlocked (there was no natural way to pass it from north to south):

canal.png

They are still doing some micro-updates to fix the game. Should I hope they address this weird behavior? They could change how the cultural domination reduces the spy time mission, and change how the Siphon Funds works:
  • For the Spy Time Mission, either:
    • Reduces the -50% time to -25%. It would makes Cultural Domination less good, but at least it doesn't gives a negative amount of turns. Still wrong to have a 0 turns duration (-100%), but no longer a weird negative duration
    • Reduce the -50% time to a "half" time:
      • Mission would last 4 turns instead of 8 turns if Culturally dominant (Standard speed).
      • Linguist, Machiavellianism and Bodyguard of Lies would work on the half Time if Culturally dominant, so -1 turn instead of -2 turns.
      • When everything aligns, instead of having -125% Time therefore -2 turns duration, we would have -75% of half Time therefore 1 turn. It should fix the duration for all speed settings.
  • For the Siphon Frauds: a cap of minimum 1 turn worth of Gold produced by the city during the turn should do the trick, as the Spy still take 1 turn to do it. It would be still weird that the mission becomes less effective when the spy is faster, but at least it couldn't be made useless when reaching <1 turn duration.
The issue isn't how much Culturally Dominant effects, it's the fact that many of these modifiers don't utilize failsafes in case the percentage exceeds 100. For one, one could simply just cap it at specific value (such 90%), virtually every single thing that can be reduced by a percentage has this issue. Cost of Corps/Armies, Faith cost of buildings (and gold), Patronage of Great People.

I once had to settle a new city in late game for the sole reason of placing a canal so that my navy could cross from one side of a continent to the other, bought the districts with Reyna, Contractor title unlocked (there was no natural way to pass it from north to south):

View attachment 675844
Did u create some of those luxuries, bonus tiles with Maui?

View attachment 675844
Alternative way to resolve this would be a mild touch of global warming

When you pick Hermetic Order but you play as Dom Satan:

Spoiler Some potent Ley Lines, for once... :

2023-11-05_01h37_37.png

It is not as easy as you think it is to get all the Great People in the game. You have to secure a lot of Great People before the Medieval era starts and making the Classical ones obsolete: 4 × Generals, 4 × Admirals, 3 × Merchants, 4 × Scientists, 5 × Writers (and 1 × Great Prophet too), while preventing the AI to grab one. Except... the AI loves Campus and the Scientists: when the game show the first Medieval Scientist, it is overpriced while the AI is still gathering more and more Great Scientist points. So you have to find a solution on how to secure those Medieval, then Renaissance Scientists.
Meanwhile, Theatre Squares are not as early as the others districts, so securing all Writers isn't a easy task. Moreover: the AI will buy any Great People once it has enough Faith at the first occasion, which add a countdown to find a solution.

Divine Spark, Pingala, the Oracle and the Classical Republic are very potent together, it helped a lot for the Scientists and the Writers. But it is very unlikely we could build the Oracle, then a Campus, a Theatre Square, an Encampment, a Harbor and a Commercial Hub and their buildings in less than 60 turns, while having to expand, improve the lands, and such. Playing on Online speed seems to reduce the Production cost, but not the rewarded Great People points, making those projects twice as powerful.

In this play-through, I couldn't find a solution each time: I missed Emilie du Chatelet, a Renaissance era Scientist. You cannot "Shift + Enter" in order to stockpile enough Great Scientist points so that you could buy the overprice one, then all the others afterward: the game will automatically give it to you at the beginning of your next turn. Which at least give a 1 extra turn delay. Declaring war on the AI doesn't change its behavior: it will buy the Great People at a set turn, no matter the events.

Expansion by combat is the way to go: a Civilization reduced as a single city will not be able to have the Great People points and the Faith needed to compete, while slowing down the Era Progress by being behind, so the game would not shorten the era. Except... when doing it? Most of the resources are already dedicated at making sure the Great People are secured. Scamming the AI in order to levy nearby City-States seems the cheapest way to do the job, but we do not really control what we are getting. We really need an explosive and lucky start to do it all basically.

Basically, all the challenges is from the first 3 eras and deal with all the parameters. It changes a lot on the "standard" play, where we first expand, then build and snowball. Here we need to build, which makes expansion harder.

I had high hope from Alfred Nobel (+50 GP points on Online speed, instead of +100) and mostly from the World's Fair since the reward doesn't scale to +50 but stays at +100 at Online speed.

Spoiler No, there are no such things as ballot box stuffing. You are talking nonsense! :

2023-11-04_23h35_27.png

Alas, this came when I was about to get my last Great People, so it didn't help at all. Plus, the Patronage is completely bugged when you recruiting the unit instead of paying. Let's say we have +100 free point for each Great People. How it should work is that we take the leftovers (for example: if we have 860/840 points, we have 20 leftovers), then add those +100 points, so +120 points. Yet it doesn't work that way:
- If the leftovers is less than 100, then it is set to 100.
- If the leftovers is over that 100, then it is set to the leftovers and the free 100 isn't awarded.

Which is extremely bad for Pedro II, since it has a leftovers of 20% of the cost of the Great People.
- I have 839/840 points, and patronage by paying. The math is done right and we get 20% of 840 + 100 = 268, and we start the next one with 268 points.
- I have 840/840 points, therefore I can chose to pick it. The math is done wrong: as 20% of 840 = 168, and 168 > 100, we start the next one with 168 points.

I was wondering if the Comandante General would count and, like the Great General, add Science to Ley Lines. They do. So I went for a new run with Gran Colombia. To spice it up, I added some gameplay mods that add more Great People (Sumus Magnus and Great Sovereigns from Plati).
Sadly, Great Sovereigns do not give any yields. It didn't prevented me to get them all.

Spoiler What need do you have for Tile Improvements when you can look upon the Ley Lines of the Hermetic Order? :

2023-11-06_05h32_19.png

The Sakdina's Golden Age policy cards from the Dramatic Ages mode is extremely useful: up to +30% Great People points. Even if I have to reload and solve some puzzle on how I can get all the Great People of the era before it ends (so that the game didn't skip the remaining one). It was very satisfying to find the solution, before reloading up to 30 turns before and try something new.

Basically, once the Renaissance era done, you are not threatened by the AI anymore. It ends up on a balance between expansion, build the city, and save a lot of Gold / Faith to buy the remaining one before the era ends. The end game is boring, as I already recruited all Great People, and just waiting for the Future Era to come to get the last Comandante General. So I conquered one Civilization so that the next era would come faster.

I don't know how Line of Sight works, and at this point I am too afraid to ask.

Spoiler I can't see the Hills... Except if there is a forest over it Sir! :

Vision de loin.png

There is probably an explanation. Something as Woods is considered as an elevation instead of an obstacle, therefore visible when it shouldn't be?

Spoiler Let's break the continent! A not-very-useful yet impressive Canal system :

Useful Canal.png

I can cross the continent with Naval units thanks to the Canals. The thing is... All those cities (apart the one in the middle with the Panama Canal), I didn't settle them. The AI (as Spain) did. I just needed to settle the one in the middle to make it work, without razing any thing city.

The line-of-sight issue was explained in another topic by someone whose name I forget (Gloria-something, forgive me): basically a hills tile with forest is just as visible as a mountain tile in Civ 6. Which technically means that a unit passing through forest-hills tile is literally waking across the tops of the trees so as to be seen by other players.
I'm guessing this is an oversight on the devs' part...

I mean they have to, lest they'd see nothing through the Forest and it should reduce their sight to 1 :|

Shaka loves his machine guns apparently.

This is a strange one. He seemingly got this military out of nowhere. And a few turns later it was gone. He went from around 5500 military strength to around 600 military strength. My guess is he ran out of money to support this military. But how did he get it to begin with? This is a Immortal diff. level game.

Shaka loves his machine guns apparently.

This is a strange one. He seemingly got this military out of nowhere. And a few turns later it was gone. He went from around 5500 military strength to around 600 military strength. My guess is he ran out of money to support this military. But how did he get it to begin with? This is a Immortal diff. level game.

I've seen Peter accumulating 25k+ gold and spending it all in a couple of turns to resist my army. Did you check Shaka's gold & faith amount before his army appeared?
Anyone threatened him?

Sadly I failed to capture this live, but it was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

On turn 3, a barbarian camp appears directly next to the nearest tribal village.

On turn 4, meteorites fall from the sky and OBLITERATE the barbarian camp.

(Oh yeah, and Paîtiti was a couple turns walk away.)

Wow, did the meteor destroy the camp or also the unit inside? From my experience, tiles & units are usually unaffected by meteors.
The meteor “destroyed” the camp because the meteor site and barbarian camp are both technically “improvements” on the tile, like a farm or mine.

There’s only one improvement allowed per tile. So when a meteor lands on a barbarian camp, it’ll automatically remove it and replace it with the meteor site. It doesn’t kill the barbarian inside though.

Top Bottom