Civ4 in Singapore

Well I give up.... so most probably I'll wait until long after 7 Nov to get the game. Anyway, it is indeed quite cool to have so many Singaporean players here, maybe we can all meet up on a LAN system or the internet and have an 18-civ game.... but then the server would probably crash.

There also have been a mix of good and bad reviews. Some people say that they have absolutely no problems with the game while other say they can't even start up the game. Now i'm not sure what to do, maybe wait till a patch comes out?

ThERat said:
It's a very nice brand of English, trust me. It's a mix of English with some Hokkien (Chinese dialect), Malay etc. It can come across as very charming. Unfortunately, some here do speak horrible English and get all the grammar wrong. I wouldn't call that Singlish, but lousy English. The 'real' Singlish rocks.

I dun quite grasp the distinction,

so in your opinion, which of the following would be horrible English and which Singlish?

let's say 他 一定要吃饭,不然会饿死

1)He one decide want eat rice ,no natural will hungry death
2)He must makan,boh will starve to death
3)He must eat if not die of hunger
4)He must eat, or else die of starving

Back on Topic,
I'm still counting on 5 Nov,
perhaps Cyberactive's "Shipping problem" is a thier own problem, do the distributor sent the copies direct to each and every cyberactice branch ?
or just to the main shop and then cyberactive distribute the game themselves to their branches?
Cyberactive's branches are really all over singapore and the volume they stock is quite small in each shop ..,
maybe their van sent for maintance or what over the weekend., hence the delay :D

count me in if playing over the net,
LAN ..hmmm.. timing no so flexible for me.I 'm working , no school holidays for me..
private LAN party I not so keen ..still using a CRT monitor ...

If we try to get a Singapore game going some time, my suggestion would be a kind of "distributed LAN". From the previous posts I gather that there are at least 3 NUS students, so some could probably meet at NUS and go online from there. Others play at home, or meet at other places, whatever.
It would be fun, I'm sure!

btw, for the NUS people, what faculties are you in? I'm from SoC, (non-)exchange student though.

Thrar said:
If we try to get a Singapore game going some time, my suggestion would be a kind of "distributed LAN". From the previous posts I gather that there are at least 3 NUS students, so some could probably meet at NUS and go online from there. Others play at home, or meet at other places, whatever.
It would be fun, I'm sure!

btw, for the NUS people, what faculties are you in? I'm from SoC, (non-)exchange student though.

haha i m in FoE, comp eng. they will have to fix the black terrain b4 i can play.

It's frustrating that we need to wait so long... haiz... why can't it be like the movies? We have most of them the same day as the States!

BTW, PK Computer says that it's coming late next week... meaning not 7th Nov.

IntegerX said:
It's frustrating that we need to wait so long... haiz... why can't it be like the movies? We have most of them the same day as the States!

I just want to cry.......

Wow, a Singapore Civ Clan would be waaaaay cool. However we all need to have the actual game in our hands first.

singlish in my opinion, would be using some slang like sianz, boliao, siao and so on. Actually reading it in full can be very humourous. nowadays everyone start using exact"s" behind.

IntegerX said:

I heard its mid next week. Haiz.

hands said:
Wow, a Singapore Civ Clan would be waaaaay cool. However we all need to have the actual game in our hands first.

singlish in my opinion, would be using some slang like sianz, boliao, siao and so on. Actually reading it in full can be very humourous. nowadays everyone start using exact"s" behind.

Yeah, we do need to have the game in our hands first.

You know what I think? I think that the distributors or retailers already have the game somewhere in their warehouses, and they are just holding back its release so that they can torture us to the max. :crazyeye: EEEVVIILLL people.........

ongwin said:
Yeah, we do need to have the game in our hands first.

You know what I think? I think that the distributors or retailers already have the game somewhere in their warehouses, and they are just holding back its release so that they can torture us to the max. :crazyeye: EEEVVIILLL people.........
We should storm the warehouse. I'm still waiting (like the rest of the SG Civvers) for the game release, but what I hear from my friend who has the other version, it is pretty darn addictive, he can't stop playing it. Am working on him to buy the original once it releases in SG.

just checked gameshop's webpage. Until yesterday they stated that the game will be in stock on 5th. Now it says 7th, so it seems confirmed that we will have another weekend without Civ4. Thanks take2!

Yeah I just saw the change of dates, and can only suffer in silence with the rest of you. Least there's still Civ3, playing it to death now since it'll be shelved once Civ4 gets installed. Moving into DG and it aint a walk in the park. Maybe the SG-Civvers can start a succession game or 2. :)

Gungalley said:
Wah so long. I nvr played Civ before. But Civ 4 looks interesting. Didnt play Civ3 coz Civ 4 coming out soon anyway.

Btw, u guys said theres Singapore skyline on the cover box. Where is it?

I've more here. It's on the website too.

I'm in Philosophy.

I think "Singlish" means both the slang and the poor sentence construction typically used in these parts, and the extreme abbreviation (such as barking "Can!" instead of saying "Yes, you can do that."). Personally I find the whole thing rather aggravating (even though I know they're not really being as rude as they sound), but it's no worse than London slang, which always sounded like a foreign language to me. I have more problems here with the accent, which I sometimes find simply impenetrable. I don't understand why no-one pronounces the end of words!

And don't get me started on undergraduates' written English! Anything from excellent to literally incomprehensible.

However, I think it's splendid that Singapore's is the skyline on the box of Civ IV. The message is clear: Singapore is the city of the future!

However, I think it's splendid that Singapore's is the skyline on the box of Civ IV. The message is clear: Singapore is the city of the future!
the future that is...that's why we don't have Civ4 yet....
...but honestly, I hope the current state of Singapore is not the model of the future...

And don't get me started on undergraduates' written English! Anything from excellent to literally incomprehensible.
well, agreed totally

however I love those expressions like :'caaaan lah' or 'got meh?'

Just to throw something else in the mix, it's not really the Singlish the bothers me. Anyone, after living in singapore for a while, can figure out what you mean.

E.g. "Can hor?", "can what...", "can lor...", "can lah!", "can or not?", all entails specific nuances that carry with it a completely different significance depending on context.

What does bother me, apart from not already being able to play civ4, is when people try to "act smart" or “kae, kae”. This appears in many ways, like with the use of abbreviations. Somehow, more than any other english subtype, Singlish is puntuated (bad analogy) with abbrev., not out of endearment or for convenience, but more often than not out of sheer laziness or to make things sound "chim".

The PIE and turn onto the ECP, until you reach SLE, then turn out onto the BKE. When you reach bkt timah rd. Look for Ave. 5, where all the HDB are. If you come from CBD, cannot avoid ERP.

There are other examples of misuse of the language that go almost wholly undetected. Here are a number of examples -

HDB in their upgrading campaign goes --
"Another upgrading project". Do they not know correct use of the word "another"? It seems like they are saying,
"So sorry, got to put you through another upgrading project!"
"Oh no, ANOTHER one?"

I have had several correspondences, where the other party signs off with "Please revert." But revert to what? To revert means that you start of in an original state, and after change in that state, and can revert to the original. Even worse, people say "Please revert back". Revert already implies back! Please reply, or acknowledge, or answer, or respond. Not revert!

One final example -- on one of the buses near Buona Vista i saw bus that reads, "To infinity and beyond." What the heck was this guy thinking? I am all for ordinals and transfinite numbers but the statement is just logically ridiculous. Even star-trek would not make this mistake.

Ok, enough *****ing.

al

Plotinus said:

I, for one, would rather singapore have the roman forums or the colosseum. Singapore needs more past, not future.

"To infinity and beyond."
Singapore is full of this kind of rubbish...sometimes the phrases are so mindless, it's unbelievable...it starts with 'world class' and 'hubs'... you really don't listen to that after a while..but I also have a few highlights

one institution nutures 'thinking hands' whatever that means :crazyeye:
the other : 'nuturing sharp minds' so you can only join if you have a sharp mind??? do they actually know what they are talking about...

but, besides this nonsense on a higher level, on the ground level people can be really nice...one just needs to shut off all that propaganda

damn sia you're "england damn strong"...

Same thing happend with max payne 2, can't wait for original siah @_@;

Top Bottom