Coronavirus 12: Don't Abandon Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be the average death rate, or very close to it, for over 65 year olds each year in the US anyway, going by a quick google:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/241572/death-rate-by-age-and-sex-in-the-us/

View attachment 616581

Eg for 75-84 it is 0.5%, and for 85 and over it is 1.4%.
Noting that covid has been around for almost 2 years, this makes the current death rate identical at worst (depends on the specifics for calculation, since the covid stat obviously is a total and not an average) so that's not much of a stat.

Other diseases don't stop while COVID is around, COVID deaths just got added on top.

Other deaths stayed about the same, COVID just sat on top.

And this is COVID vs literally every other cause of death. And population-wide, when the death toll of COVID hits some areas and groups harder. And finally, this is provisional data, without complete December numbers. So 2020 COVID was worse. And more have now died of covid in 2021 than 2020.

People grow old and die, neither party can prevent that; and the old know that very well.

Most of the world has done better than the US despite the US being the richest country in the world and having ample resources to do better. If that is your attitude, why do anything? Why not just die now.

Pre pandemic, the average life expectancy at birth in the US was 78 years. +65 encompasses people who could have decades more of life just to the average life expectancy, and many could have had far more. People could have had a quarter or more of their life yet to go, but died because one very large group is a mad Death Cult.

I don't think "covid deaths" were really "added on top", though. At some cases the average deaths even went down for a year (eg Greece in 2020 - but it won't be that in 2021). Most of those who die in those ages have already other ailments which can kill them. Furthermore, in many countries with poorer health systems it happens that covid fills everything up in hospitals and this makes those with other risks far more exposed.

Most of the world has done better than the US

That may be your belief, but it is not an established fact.

Many countries simply lack the facilities to adequately distinguish Covid deaths from non Covid deaths.
And some countries figures on Covid deaths show suspicious abrupt pauses after very rapid increases.

I suspect the high rates of the USA, and the UK, reflect better infrastructure for diagnosing Covid as an infection.
There are also variances in policies on attributing the cause of death for those with multiple conditions,
and there are significant variations in the proportions of elderly people amongst the population.

People could have had a quarter or more of their life yet to go, but died because one very large group is a mad Death Cult.

As a non USA citizen, I find your persistence and determination to never miss an opportunity to use every thread to insult the Republicans rather tiresome.

As a semi-autonomous region, Bolzano has a historic disinclination to accept orders from the central government. Its tendency towards vaccine hesitancy dates back two centuries, when Tyrolean guerrillas rebelled against a smallpox vaccine mandated by the Bavarian administration.

To be fair, Tyroleans (mostly Germans, but also Italians) were just very much against being taken from the Habsburgs and given to Bavaria by Napoleon, and ultimately rebelled.

Heinrich Heine summed it up quite rightly: they [Tyroleans] always had a king in white pants, and once they were given a king in blue pants, they just couldn't stand it. :p

As a non USA citizen, I find your persistence and determination to never miss an opportunity to use every thread to insult the Republicans rather tiresome.
He's allowed to, Covid responses are inherently political to a large degree which makes finding a line between Covid as a discussion, and politics as a discussion, difficult.

Likewise you can find his posts tiring, but that's hardly a unique qualifier - my question would be: so what?

Is your expression meant to put off Drakle from posting as he does? It certainly doesn't seem like encouragement - quite the opposite.

Last edited:
It's very dark, but I hope out of all this death, politics lurches left as a result. Sadly I doubt it.

With Israel being the first to go all out with giving people a booster vaccin round, we will have real data in a few months on how well a booster protects after more than six months against omicron. In time for countries who started several months later with their booster round to prepare.

From tests: Amsterdam was Monday last week at 2.5% omicron (of all cases of daily tests) and is now 25%.
It goes fast.

Last edited:
That may be your belief, but it is not an established fact.

Many countries simply lack the facilities to adequately distinguish Covid deaths from non Covid deaths.
And some countries figures on Covid deaths show suspicious abrupt pauses after very rapid increases.

I suspect the high rates of the USA, and the UK, reflect better infrastructure for diagnosing Covid as an infection.
There are also variances in policies on attributing the cause of death for those with multiple conditions,
and there are significant variations in the proportions of elderly people amongst the population.

I don't make posts for you, and I really don't care what you think. Massive deaths tolls should be a political issue. 1/100 was not at all inevitable.

And according to excess death rates, the U.K and USA objectively performed badly. You can cope all you want, but Boris didn't do a good job. UK excess deaths are higher than most of the rest of Western Europe, and the U.K is a island, and out of the EU. The U.K. Could have went for a island elimination strategy, but instead flip flopped between every position from let it rip, to lock it down tight. I'm just harsher on Republicans than Tories, because I think the Tories are bad actors, but are still relatively sane.

A workmate sent me via Whatsapp a image calling for an anti covid passport demostration, the image was referring to the passport as Apartheid and Holocaust.

Nutters everywhere. My brother-in-law (luckily my sis is getting divorced) belongs to them too...

I'm re-considering my NYE plans. For Christmas I'll stay with my parents, I hope that works fine. But then I intended to spend NYE at a friend's in the Netherlands, and 3 more days at 2 more friends. I think this might be too much short-term travel in the current situation :think:.

A workmate sent me via Whatsapp a image calling for an anti covid passport demostration, the image was referring to the passport as Apartheid and Holocaust.

Yeah, we have plenty of those here too. Prior to the vote on the covid passport there were a lot of rallies, and signs about "Impf-Apartheid" (vaccine apartheid) and dictatorship were pretty common there. As well as pictures of Anne Frank and people wearing a david star band on their sleeves. :rolleyes:

1% of all Americans aged over 65 have died of COVID. Not 1% of those infected. 1% of all of them.

It's amazing how much the elderly dominate politics, in terms of voting power, yet still got utterly mulched by the pandemic as the Republicans led by Trump who is also old let it rip through them. The elderly practice self-preservation personally, with even most elderly Republicans being vaccinated. But they seem to have no influence on the rest of the party on this, despite being their single largest voting demographic, and more importantly, very reliable voters. They don't act in their collective interest in staying alive, politics remains separate.

My grandparents are in their 80s, and they were trying to get me to fly out to California and stay with them before they got vaccinated. They also went to restaurants before they were officially supposed to reopen. I think they'd rather enjoy the last years of their life, in spite of the Covid risk, rather than spend that time cooped up at home.

Are you really aware you have an ankle ?
I guess not.
But when you have a sprained ankle you will be quite aware of it.

So also with the news the last week
No crazies on the street with protests or in talkshows whatever.
Blown away by the uncanny feeling of omicron rapidly increasingn, and the big newsmedia warming us up in NL that the PM will this evening likely tell us we get a real lockdown again.
Pictures of streets with people queuing in the cold to get faster a booster jab and now also overcrowded streets with last shopping for Christmas.
The Health Minister has stated that every (willing) adult should have a booster ultimo January. The moment that new lockdown will end yet unclear.
The moment that the crazies will become vocal again and getting attention yet also unclear. They usually wait for the hospitality sector to start whining loudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom