damunzy's PitBoss game - Join up!

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
I am going to host my first PitBoss game but I am not sure what settings. How many people want to play and what settings can we agree on?

May I propose the following settings

7-8 players
Standard size map
Archipelago
Snaky continents
Toroidal wrap
Low sea level
No huts
No barbs
Random events ON
Tech trading OFF
Civ pick with unrestricted leaders
Financial leaders banned

This will give an interesting map with lots of possibilities and Financial banned will make leader choices interesting as financial is a bit overpowered in maps with water.

@Indiansmoke: I am cool with the settings but Amask doesn't seem to like islands. How about continents?

Also, I see 4 players are a go so far- want to do it with just 4 or is 7 or 8 just a better number?

Hello, i agreed with those settings but only with we'll play WITHOUT AI, it is possible ?
And other thing, i am playing a few PBEM, but never PitBoss. Can anyone tell me the most important rules about PitBoss game ?
btw. i heard about rule like: "double turns". There will be ON or OFF in this Pitboss game ?

well, rom what I have gathered the double turns is this:
It is possible to take a 'double turn' in the game by being the last to finish for one turn and then the first to finish the one after that. This has a positive effect because it speeds the game up, but the downside is that it can be exploited for military advantage by moving twice before your opponent has a chance to react.

So to keep the upside of double turns while eliminating (or at least minimizing) the downside, the rule is that if you are at war with another player (or are about to go to war with them, eg. sneak attacks) then you mustn't take two turns before they've had a chance to take one, or in other words you cannot go after them in one turn and before them in the next.
So I don't think there is an actual 'double turn' setting.

Yes, i am thinking about same. Tell me then, you are going to ON this option or OFF ? I think when we'll have 12 hours to make a turn the game won't be so slow and "double turns" option isn't required to be switched ON. I hope it will be OFF.

These are the settings that have to be decided:
Map: Archipelago -> Wheel
Size: Duel -> Huge Standard selected
Climate:
Seal Level:
Era:
Speed:
For Archipelago Map:
Landmass Type: Snarky Continents, Archipelago, Tiny Islands
For Custom_Continents Map:
Number of Continents: Random, One Per Team, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
For Fantasy_Realm Map:
Resource Appearance: Logical, Irrational, Crazy
For Highlands Map:
Mountain Pattern: Scattered, Ridgelines, Clustered
Mountain Density: Dense Peaks, Normal Peaks, Thin Peaks
Water Setting: Small Lakes, Large Lakes, Seas
For Hub Map:
Areas Per Player: 1 Per Player, 2 (10 Players Max)
Land Shape: Natural, Pressed, Solid
Neutral Territory: Varied, Pressed, Natural, Islands
Isthmus Width: 1 Plot Wide, 2 Plots Wide, 3 Plots Wide

More to come...

if you want to play islands, go for it, I'll sit this one out
(unless you can't find enough people - unlikely I think)

Well, I see 5 that want to play. I am fine with not doing islands, can we agree on that?

My propositions:
Fractal map (try play continents in single player = useless like other maps, check it)
normal speed
ancient era (advanced start 600 points max, it's good for faster start)
NO AI
and other settings like Indiansmoke wrote on his 5th post in this thread
and what about this stupid rule "double turn" ? will be ON or OFF ?

Do not include me yet. I didn't say that i'm in. I'll say exacly that i'm in or out, when i see all final settings. :)

Before you start a PTBS game, ask yourself: can I keep a computer with net connection up 24 hours a day for about 12 months (maybe less, maybe more), with minimal downtime? If the answer is no, sort out your hardware first before you start it. FYI, keeping up a PTBS server uses about 100-200MB of bandwidth a month IIRC, this was for a large game so I guess it's lower if you have less people.

Also, you may want to look through the rules in my signature. I used them for my games, your preferences may differ.

Oob is correct keeping the pitboss server is no small task - imagine if your civ dies early too.

Since this is your first pitboss, may I suggest Quick speed and a short turn timer (12 to 18h)? And yes, I'm interested in playing.

I'm interested to join also.
Tech trading off is OK for me. Any other map than island too.
I would agree with a quick timer also.

Double turn rule is specific to war time and prevent one player to move his troops twice in a row (at the end of a turn and then the turn after, before the other plays).

I'm interested. Big&small or continents is preferred. No tech trading, rest doesn't really matter to me. However, if the game is on Quick, I'll sit this one out. Looks like you'll have plenty of players anyway, and I really dislike Quick.

There is no setting in options for double-moves. That's a gentleman's rule. And it only matters when you are at war (and only with the people you are at war with). So if I'm at war with Unconquered Sun, him and I will have a turn order to maintain (he plays first each turn or whatever we decide). Everyone else plays whenever they can still (unless they get in their own wars).

The alternative is to allow double-moves, which means logging back into your civ multiple times per turn to see what the other guy did, setting your alarm for 3AM to move first when the turn flips, trying to put civ on your work computer to check during lunch, etc... Not a fun way to play.

@Indiansmoke: I am cool with the settings but Amask doesn't seem to like islands. How about continents?

Also, I see 4 players are a go so far- want to do it with just 4 or is 7 or 8 just a better number?

Archipelago snaky continents is not islands...islands is a different map.

BTW Ooob is right...have you considered what it means to run a pitboss game?

I really dislike Quick.

I agreed. Why ? Think about "slavery button" on quick game speed. When you'll be have to build granary (3 turns for example), of course you wait 1 turn (becouse "slaver" granary with no hammers as you know taking too many people). After 1 turn we have 1/3 hammers, ok we are thinking about "slaver" this granary, and what we gain ? We gain only 1 turn from 2. I think it is useless, becouse when game speed will be normal we will gain (for example) 5 turns from 10 it's a big different. I know that 1 turn in quick game speed is like 3 on normal and 3 on normal is like a 3 on epic and 3 on epic is like on 3 on marathon but using slavery button on quick game speed is still usless :) I very often using "slavery button" when i'm playing and i want to do this still.

If i good understand few of us is not so happy about "double turn" rule. I hope it will be OFF :)

Top Bottom