damunzy's PitBoss game - Join up!

imagine if your civ dies early too.
Never thought of that. I would think that I would pass off the PB duties. I don't think anyone would expect me to keep hosting the game for 8 months after getting killed in the 4th month of a 12 month game. :crazyeyes: I guess I could set up a VM and install a copy of civ4 on there.....don't really want to go through the hassle right now though. :)
Since this is your first pitboss, may I suggest Quick speed and a short turn timer (12 to 18h)? And yes, I'm interested in playing.
I am not big on fast games- they can be okay but I am wanting a long game- that is why I am trying PitBoss instead of just jumping into a GameSpy game.

As for the hosting the game- the only issue I can think of is torrents during my night time (0000-0700 Eastern US). I might have to cut down the hours that I am using my Bit Torrent client if players are trying to access the game during these hours. Otherwise, I have a decent connection (decent for the US) - cable @ 2Mbps upload. As far as stability, I usually reboot the system ever few days- it is Windows after all. :)

Test server setup at damunzy.is-a-geek.net. I might have to forward some ports if you are not able to get in.

Edit: okay, port 2056 forwarded.
Added: Easy part accomplished. I can connect to my own PitBoss game. If others could try it would be appreciated. Password: damunzy
Additional: I was able to connect to the game through damunzy.is-a-geek.net <- give that a try please.
Also: Email options setup - try that out too.

Never thought of that. I would think that I would pass off the PB duties. I don't think anyone would expect me to keep hosting the game for 8 months after getting killed in the 4th month of a 12 month game. :crazyeyes:

While I would also try to pass on the game to another player in that event, you're obligated to keep hosting it until such a person can be found.

As for the hosting the game- the only issue I can think of is torrents during my night time (0000-0700 Eastern US). I might have to cut down the hours that I am using my Bit Torrent client if players are trying to access the game during these hours. Otherwise, I have a decent connection (decent for the US) - cable @ 2Mbps upload. As far as stability, I usually reboot the system ever few days- it is Windows after all. :)

I suggest using a program to limit how much bandwidth each application can use, so you can limit bit torrent to ~75% of your bandwidth. Google 'netlimiter', that's the program I use for this. Better yet, just limit the bandwidth in your bit torrent client, most of them will have this option.

IIRC, PTBS is pretty good at taking all the bandwidth it needs anyway, regardless of whatever else is running, but maybe that was just me.

Also, remember to use civstats. I'm sure some people here can tell you about it. One big benefit of using it is that you can easily see if someone has taken a double turn when they shouldn't have.

Test server setup at damunzy.is-a-geek.net. I might have to forward some ports if you are not able to get in.

Edit: okay, port 2056 forwarded.

Just a reminder, you'll need to set up your own civ client to run on a different port from your PTBS server, otherwise you'll get problems when you're connected to the game and other people try to connect. There's an ini file that allows you to change the port, I forget the name. Search your computer (or at least your civ folder) for *.ini with 2056 in the text and you should find it.

BTS 317 PitBoss now running. Try to connect: damunzy.is-a-geek.net No password.

Goody! did you try signing up for emails?

That was just a test setup to see if people could connect. My system is down right now (posting on a different computer). Hopefully I will have it up tonight and of course Civ4 will be the second thing I load on the box after XP. :D

WinXP installed. Civ4 installing. Have to patch and Warlords, patch, then BTS, then patch. Will let you know when it is up.

Top Bottom