Destination Africa: Tanzania

We headed back into the plains to see if any of the leopard haunts were active. One was hiding here:

looking for a leopard.JPEG

After some time, the cat came out of hiding before disappearing once again in the tall grasses.

The rest of the day was anticlimactic but did include more of the herds. These antelope made an appearance.

IMG_2121.JPEG

At dinner that night I noticed a change in my place setting: the spoon was dressed!

IMG_2128.JPEG

The next morning I was off to the local airport for a flight back to Zanzibar and then flights back to Paris, NY and Albuquerque.

Penuel felt that perhaps we should make one last attempt to find some more lions so we left early to drive through lion country.

These were the kinds of place where he hoped we might spot some.

Lion country.JPEG

Lion country 2.JPEG

He noticed three lions sleeping on these rocks.

They did do much beyond what is shown, but it was a fitting end to the safari!

The Kogatende Lamal airstrip is a short dirt strip at the northern end of the Serengeti
My plane arriving (could be loud)

Baggage control

There was little to no security and everything was very casual. Much like I experienced back in the 1960s. Penuel handled all the paperwork. There were no tickets or boarding passes, just a list of names.

While flying to Zanzibar, I hoped to see Mt. Kilimanjaro and took this picture. But the mountain's profile doesn't fit so I don't think it is. (the bigger of the two)

Flying into Zanzibar.

Zanzibar.JPEG

Last edited:
Here is the old Zanzibar terminal.

Old terminal.JPEG

They have a brand new massive terminal for the major carriers and their big planes. It was built in the past two years by the Chinese. I was flying Air France and after a loose security check (my bag only) I walked out in the open to this new terminal. It was football field size and divided into two roughly equal parts. Ticket counters were along one wall and the rest was completely open with only one row of hard chairs (20 maybe) along the back wall. It took me 20 minutes to find a charging station.

Charging station.JPEG

It was the only one I could find in this half of the building. It has two plugs. At least I had both of them to myself. There were no chairs near the outlet.

That is it folks. Thirty some hours later I was back home.

I am happy to answer any questions and entertain comments. Thanks for getting this far. As you might expect there were lots of animals!

Top Bottom