[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't. Because, as it's being used by anti-woke types, it doesn't have a clearly defined meaning, it's, as you said, just "something I don't like." They can't define it more than that because they use it in a way that makes a defined meaning impossible.
I guess that explains Zard dodging the question. But I’m moving toward the idea of it evolving into a snarl word as a form of thought terminating cliche…(or would it be word?).
Some like, magic force connection thing, I don't know, the ST was kinda dumb and didn't explain it well and JJ Abrams is a hack
I see, I thought it was something that was only found in external media or some special promotion on Fortnite.
Kathleen Kennedy is gonna get fired any minute now (since 2017).
And likely they’ll be singing the same tune in 2027.

Screenshot of what I've been watching lately on YouTube subscription.

View attachment 667500
Beau of the Fifth Column would be considered on the lefty side since he’s looked into in a positive light by other BreadTubers.

I guess that explains Zard dodging the question. But I’m moving toward the idea of it evolving into a snarl word as a form of thought terminating cliche…(or would it be word?).

I see, I thought it was something that was only found in external media or some special promotion on Fortnite.

And likely they’ll be singing the same tune in 2027.

Beau of the Fifth Column would be considered on the lefty side since he’s looked into in a positive light by other BreadTubers.

BreadTubers?

One thing quite hard to explain for me would be why Yoda thought it was a good idea to give a padawan who is so similar to him, Anakin did not even get to choose is padawan, he was just given Ahsoka while being at the battlefield (why not wait to he is back in jedi temple?). The end result seems this ended up hurting both characters, Anakin became way too attached to his padawan and she kinda also did become too attached her master and got serious guilt feelings that she was a major factor to why Anakin feel to the dark side and it probably took a lot of effort on Ahsoka to resist falling to the dark side herself.

Honestly the weak point of episode 7-9 and also 1-3 is honestly the writing and story. Rey's character honestly is nothing new given Star Wars have many characters like her. Anakin and Rey was really just unlucky with being tied into less well received stories than like Luke, Darth Vader and Ahsoka.

Honestly the weak point of episode 7-9 and also 1-3 is honestly the writing and story. Rey's character honestly is nothing new given Star Wars have many characters like her. Anakin and Rey was really just unlucky with being tied into less well received stories than like Luke, Darth Vader and Ahsoka.

That's definitely part of it. Anakin got redeemed a bit in the cartoons and the PT had a mostly satisfying ending and made sense at least even at its worst (AotC).

BreadTubers?
breadtube is a (now archaic) term for leftist youtube usually sustained with detailed vlogs and longform structured arguments; stuff like Shaun, ContraPoints, hbomberguy, Folding Ideas, Innuendo Studios, Lindsay Ellis (not all of them consistently do leftist content, some of it is just media criticism). it's archaic mostly because of the speed of internet aging, i think it was regularly used 5 years ago. some don't like the term whatsoever. the "bread" part is a reference to The Conquest of Bread, and i have no clue as to who coined breadtube itself

Last edited:
That's definitely part of it. Anakin got redeemed a bit in the cartoons and the PT had a mostly satisfying ending and made sense at least even at its worst (AotC).
Yes Anakin is made into a much more likeable character in the cartoons, than in the films for sure.
Mace, Yoda, Obi Wan were very powerful Jedi masters.
Yet much of the dirty work with dealing with the sith and the war is given to characters like Anakin and Ahsoka and of course Obi Wan rather than being done by Yoda and Mace Windu which seems a bit unlogical to me.

Last edited:
How are we gonna count flop or not?
We're not. We're simply going to total the budget vs earnings of films in the "woke" column against films in the "non-woke" column.

That's the value of considering this as a trend for such movies, over a year, as against making case-by-case judgments.

The "non-woke" category serves as a kind of control group.

No scale. Woke or not. That's why it's crucial that you make a decisive judgment before opening.

I'll go back and take on me all the criticism you took for ranking Snow White. But for our project, no point system.

To many characters ticking diversity boxes at the expense of character development.

They had cast members promoting it on diversity as well in interviews.

So it's low on the woke scale. Wasn't a bad movie I found it slightly dull ymmv.
So character development suffered because the movie was ticking diversity boxes and not because it had too big a cast of characters?

Defining is not a problem. It’s pretty clear what it is to many people, to the point even gpt knows what woke is. Some people like to make a stand up and exhale rhetorically: “but what does it mean?!” Come on. We know what it means. I’d like to add, in disagreement to some, perhaps, that financial success is a variable, which can be completely separate from the degree of sensitivity to injustices. The case for that will only strengthen in coming years, as film megacorps will secure the ever increasing number of people in their subscription models and shackle them otherwise in corporate loyalty schemes.

Finally, my respects to Zaard for being impervious to cancellations through his unique brand of evasiveness!

GPT: "Woke" is a term that has come to refer to awareness and sensitivity to social and political injustices, particularly related to race, gender, and class.
Are you suggesting that movies that show "awareness and sensitivity to social and political injustices, particularly related to race, gender, and class" tend to do worse financially?

So character development suffered because the movie was ticking diversity boxes and not because it had too big a cast of characters?

Are you suggesting that movies that show "awareness and sensitivity to social and political injustices, particularly related to race, gender, and class" tend to do worse financially?

Eternals had multiple problems with it. Contributing factor.

Well Snow White is the one that got brought up when does that release?

Snow White releases in 8 months!

Cheers. I don't see it doing well but who knows. Who's your target audiene/who asked for this and tendency of Disney live action renakes to suck or underperformed and audience fatigue with them. Alladin seems to the one people like. Lion King did great at box office but no one seems to care that much now.

Anything else a bit closer Marvels?

We have already seen people say even if Zard is right it doesn't matter.

I'm basically drawing my conclusions from the box office sub reddit who follows things like internet buzz (positive or begative) and links to things like Deasline, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, tracking predictions.

Youtube not do much. A bit but treat as opinions.

Last edited:
Yup, Marvels is less than 4 months.

That ones interesting. Personally I think super heroes fatigue is real for a variety of reasons.

Without the Avengers tie in idk. I don't see it doing gangbusters. Overall box office is down (2019 is bad year to compare with as well).

GotG3 got less than 2 but didn't embarass itself. Probably watch it this week.

Star Wars The Clone Wars series manage to have a large amount of different characters (probably more so than any other star wars show) and is well recieved.

Star Wars The Clone Wars series manage to have a large amount of different characters (probably more so than any other star wars show) and is well recieved.

Different format.

Movie you have your two hours or so.

TV show you can do story arcs and a season is around 10 hours.

Moderator Action: Thread closed until further notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom