[RD] Do 'woke' films go broke? (from LGBTQ news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I've also said it's a trend not an absolute.
That's why we're measuring it across an entire year: to establish whether it is a trend.
I suggest we look at reasonable budgets and up say 90 million and over which is similar to costs for John Wick, Barbie, Mario.
I don't see anything wrong with this proposal.

All right, so you're in. I'll go figure out where on line I can learn about the planned releases.

I'm already putting you down for "woke" for the new Snow White movie, by the way (if it's due to come out in the coming year)!

First up: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Release Date: Aug 2. Budget $135 million. Woke? Or Not-Woke?

(I'll probably start a new thread, once we get this up and running)

That's why we're measuring it across an entire year: to establish whether it is a trend.

I don't see anything wrong with this proposal.

All right, so you're in. I'll go figure out where on line I can learn about the planned releases.

I'm already putting you down for "woke" for the new Snow White movie, by the way (if it's due to come out in the coming year)!

First up: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Release Date: Aug 2. Budget $135 million. Woke? Or Not-Woke?

(I'll probably start a new thread, once we get this up and running)

Idk about Ninja Turtles as this is first I've heard of it. Know sod all about Snow White except they were making it. I assume they've race swapped Snow White?

How are we gonna count flop or not? Are you happy with the traditional production budget X2.5 or if the marketing budget is known production+marketing X2?

Using recent examples TLM underperformed, Dial of Destiny/ bombed, not sure what a flop would be maybe Transformers?

OK went back and had a look at Snow White. Using checklist posted earlier add up "woke points"

2 Points race swapped nsin character
1 point race swapped major character
1 point multiple race swapped minor tutular characters
1 point inserting modern values into legacy product/remake.

So that's a fair few trigger points for people to rahe about. Did they gender swap one of the Dwarves?

Other pros and negatives.
Pros. Existing IP.

Negative.
Said IP hasn't mattered to much for a long time (predates the 90s/Disney Renaissance) cf Dumbo.

Zards crystal ball is it will do worse than Little Mermaid fairly confident on that one. Cheaper than TLM to male so reduces break even point by over 100 million.

185 million plus marketing its not looking good as I think TLM is a stronger IP imho.

Disney is remaking Snow White but ditching the Prince character.

No more 7 dwarves either.

The title wasn’t something I expected. I was bracing myself for something to something similar to “Snow Caucasian and Seven Handy Capable Little People”.

Now here I can absolutely agree. But in order for me to do so I must then accept episodes 7-9 as canon.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, that is impossible because the Star Wars spirit implanted in me at age 11 when the very first movie came out is so strong I can see Disney's adaptation as heresy. Even on the levels of Horus Heresy. If you are a geek like me you'll understand just how heretical that really is and what I mean.
Dang, I envy you seeing Star Wars in 1977. It’s a similar feeling for me when I first saw them in the mid 90s when they rereleased them to the silver screen. Even consuming Expanded Universe materials like The Dark Empire, The Thrawn Trilogy, and the Dark Forces Saga. So in a sense, I see the Disney Trilogy as apocrypha.
How can Slaanesh Chaos be so evil and distasteful but a Sith Lord can indeed be viewed as sexy baby and with a just cause?
For a Sith Lady, rule of sexy and evil is sexy are at play. Plus they’re not a faction that has creatures that would cause Magnus the Red to hide behind Kitten (and I don’t know how well Slaanesh plays Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker).

Rey is definitely overpowered compared to Luke, in universe, but yeah Luke has untrained super powers and conceptually they are the same. What’s super powered in Starwars in 1970s vs 2010s is obviously going to change, but it’s better explained by general power inflation. Compare superheroes of both eras…
Are you saying (outside of Blizzard’s infamous follies on balancing things) that it’s almost akin to how my Void/High Elven Monk in WoW gets stronger at each new expansion when the level cap is raised?

OK went back and had a look at Snow White. Using checklist posted earlier add up "woke points"

2 Points race swapped nsin character
1 point race swapped major character
1 point multiple race swapped minor tutular characters
1 point inserting modern values into legacy product/remake.

So that's a fair few trigger points for people to rahe about. Did they gender swap one of the Dwarves?

Other pros and negatives.
Pros. Existing IP.

Negative.
Said IP hasn't mattered to much for a long time (predates the 90s/Disney Renaissance) cf Dumbo.

Zards crystal ball is it will do worse than Little Mermaid fairly confident on that one. Cheaper than TLM to male so reduces break even point by over 100 million.

185 million plus marketing its not looking good as I think TLM is a stronger IP imho.

Your animus is showing

lmao this is honestly so disgusting

Just unrepentant animus that wouldn't be out of place on an unmoderated hate site

These anti woke people are incapable of not coming across as obsessed

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. The_J

Last edited by a moderator:
I would argue Eternals was to woke and they marketed as such.
So how is Eternal woke?

The same movie whose failure is often attributed to having too big a cast of unknown characters (so most audiences would have no preconceived ideas of them).

Just unrepentant animus that wouldn't be out of place on an unmoderated hate site

These anti woke people are incapable of not coming across as obsessed

Context someone challenged me in that movies performance.

I've noticed the common triggers of "woke" media.

I think Snow White will come in closer to Dumbo than The Little Mermaid. That's roughly where I expect the movie to land.

And that guess could be completely wrong. See what happens when it's released. We can objectively see who's right or wrong.

So how is Eternal woke?

The same movie whose failure is often attributed to having too big a cast of unknown characters (so most audiences would have no preconceived ideas of them).

To many characters ticking diversity boxes at the expense of character development.

They had cast members promoting it on diversity as well in interviews.

So it's low on the woke scale. Wasn't a bad movie I found it slightly dull ymmv.

Context someone challenged me in that movies performance.

I've noticed the common triggers of "woke" media.

I think Snow White will come in closer to Dumbo than The Little Mermaid. That's roughly where I expect the movie to land.

And that guess could be completely wrong. See what happens when it's released. We can objectively see who's right or wrong.

I don't care man, sophie is right, it's gross

You're complaining that there's too many non white, lgbtq characters and cis women, who are you kidding? You're a reactionary
Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. The_J

From a cursory youtube search, it is possible (?) that the Snow White movie originally would have 7 dwarfs, but the studio reacted to a prominent take by Dinklage who found such to be uncouth and damaging.
Regarding the actress to play Snow-white, I got to say I am not seeing the fuss. Should she be incredibly pale? Maybe so pale nice-looking and with some talent (?) young actresses weren't readily available or weren't interested in this movie. I really don't see what the issue is with skin tone there, tbh; actress is "hispanic", which basically is white for the majority of people.
I don't care about the change from dwarfs either - I don't plan to watch this movie, but even if I did, why care. But I am surprised by Dinklage's view, since (much like what happened with him before GoT) 7 roles for "dwarfs" might have helped push another person with this body-type into more work and ultimately stardom if they are also talented.

I don't care man, sophie is right, it's gross

It's called reality don't have to like it. Most if the world doesn't agree with you and they're the ones who buy tickets.

Most if the world doesn't agree with me either but I'm self aware of it.

Mostly it's a know your audience type deal.

From a cursory youtube search, it is possible (?) that the Snow White movie originally would have 7 dwarfs, but the studio reacted to a prominent take by Dinklage who found such to be uncouth and damaging.
Regarding the actress to play Snow-white, I got to say I am not seeing the fuss. Should she be incredibly pale? Maybe so pale nice-looking and with some talent (?) young actresses weren't readily available or weren't interested in this movie. I really don't see what the issue is with skin tone there, tbh; actress is "hispanic", which basically is white for the majority of people.
I don't care about the change from dwarfs either - I don't plan to watch this movie, but even if I did, why care. But I am surprised by Dinklage's view, since (much like what happened with him before GoT) 7 roles for "dwarfs" might have helped push another person with this body-type into more work and ultimately stardom if they are also talented.

Dinklages opinion is fine. Isk what the full title of the movie is I assume Snow White but idk.

I don't agree with him on this, and I am a fan.
He didn't appear out of nowhere, so shouldn't expect others with this body-type to appear out of nowhere either. One might say that he was the one who despite having the clout to say no, agreed to be in a movie (I don't mean GoT, obviously) where he is called a dwarf and is taken as such (movie titled 3 billboards outside *somewhere*).

I hope everyone is enjoying this journey into what the Facebook algorithm does to the brains of the unprepared

It's called reality don't have to like it. Most if the world doesn't agree with you and they're the ones who buy tickets.

Most if the world doesn't agree with me either but I'm self aware of it.

Mostly it's a know your audience type deal.

I don't think most of the world is calculating and assigning "woke points" to characters that don't look like you or differ in some way

I hope everyone is enjoying this journey into what the Facebook algorithm does to the brains of the unprepared

It read like a fourchan post complaining about there being too many minorities and women in media

Looooool

I mean beyond it just being an open forum for zardnaar to spew his deranged old man bigotry Moderator Action: Warned for trolling. The_J , it doesn't even really meaningfully address the main points others have been making...like at all? Like the whole thing is that your argument - that something is bad because it's woke, and you know it's woke because it's bad, is a circular argument, and, when stripped down, virtually indistinguishable from "it wasn't a good movie," "people didn't like it," or "I didn't enjoy it." It's just you taking random products and ascribing a reason to the perceived quality of that product post hoc. There's no meaningful way to define when something in this natural """""experiment""""" is bad because it's "woke" (whatever that means) and is bad just because it's bad and not woke. Zardnaar could get these "correct" with 100% accuracy, and we'd be no closer to knowing what woke actually means.

I don't think most of the world is calculating and assigning "woke points" to characters that don't look like you or differ in some way

Well no one here can really define woke.

I got the idea who uses those keys to predict elections.

I've been paying attention to the box office a lot recently using box office mojo.

Previous poster made it a direct challenge as to predicting a movie so I've done tgst explaining my reasoning.

That photo contains things tgat doesn't really appeal to general audiences en masses for a movie with its budget.

It's also an older movie that hasn't had much presence in pop culture in recent decades.

So if my guess us broadly correct are you gonna continue with the snark? I could be wrong and the movie overpwrforms my expectations by 10% or I coukd be certain wrong and it doubles my expectations and hits $1 billion.

I somehow don't see how the thread has to be an attempt (not just unrealistic, but also clearly anti-civility) to put a poster down. And regardless of contrasting arguments, just how is he an "old" person when (iirc) you are only around half a decade younger?
Maybe the overall quality of talking here, which often devolves to brawling, is to doom the OT to nothingness in a few years - would fit the trajectory fine anyway.

I am not trying to protect him - we aren't children. Just wanted to express how such a method of conversing alienates people and forces discussion to stop, not pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom