Fall Patch

At what point would you consider it would have been appropriate to retool the entire Firaxis organisation to go after 5% of the installed desktop base?

The point where they decided that cross-platform multilayer is a thing.

Starting games with friends one week and being unable to continue them the next because of an out-of-sync hotfix is, for me, the biggest issue. Content appearing on one platform before another is not an issue if the platforms don't communicate (e.g. Call of Duty DLC is on Xbox before Playstation). But when they are expected to be interoperable, you get stuck in this weird limbo of sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's like these companies choose to merely tolerate the existence of OS X, where it would be better (at least more predictable) to either fully support it or shut it out entirely.

This is not something that can ever be solved for Civ V, but the model to make full support work exists and is used by some publishers, and I'm just hoping others follow along with future titles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Fair comment. How many people take advantage of cross platform multi-player?

I would imagine ~99% of Mac multiplayer users take advantage of cross-platform when it works, either because they're playing with a friend on Windows or because it's all one shared lobby when it's in sync when looking for a public game. The better question is how many Mac users play multiplayer at all, and how many avoid it / gave up because of the sync issues and dead public lobbies when it's out of sync. I can't speculate on any numbers for those.

"Windows users could happily wait ..."?

You think many, many patient Windows users can wait .... but you and a couple of other Mac users can't? And then you tell us the game is rubbish anyway. I'm having trouble following your logic.

I never said the game was rubbish. Dont misquote people.
Civ V is flawed, especially when it comes to multiplayer, due to how it was developed.

And yes Windows users would wait since they wouldn't know any better and wouldn't be affected. Theey could still play multiplayer games wheras mac users cannot. Im in the lobby right now. No games. Im hosting one hour, nobody. Same for US steam cloud.

I exclusively play with windows friends.

Apologies for high-jacking the thread momentarily, but if anyone is interested in joining the Mac BNW SG proposed by Methos, head over to this thread. We'd like to get 1-3 more people involved.

AspyrRyan, any news on the hotfix patch? My friends and I have our monthly CivV session on Saturday but half of them are playing via Steam on their Macs...

Approvals from who Ryan? Firaxis? or someone up the food chain at Aspyr?

Please elaborate so we can direct our dissatisfaction at the parties concerned and attempt to get them to pull the finger out.

If it was being delayed by Apple, I don't think Aspyr would hold back from releasing it on Steam. They often haven't synchronised the two before. Unless an issue found by Apple has flagged up repercussions in the base code in some way.

Whew. Hope that when it comes out, the fall patch doesn't end up out of sync this long. The Mac half of our Civ group has missed 3 sessions!

Top Bottom