Final Fixes Reborn

Well, we have one major issue that causes random crashes on startup, with wildly different rates of crashes for different people. If you do manage to start a game, it tends to be quite stable.
What about loading saves? I had very big problems with that.

most of it is likely the same issue. (it crashes at the same point as the startup).

There is another save-related issue that causes save files to bloat, but it's relatively rare and can be contained easily ( It's linked to a specific event).

Indeed. Interesting you don´t have this stability problems on your own, are you using Win10?

Dunno if it helps, but when game crashes while loading the sound is gone a sec. before, maybe it´s just too much traffic for the game cache when loading. AOE got much more content in the years, more sounds, music, events, units etc. what is very nice but maybe the game can ´t handle this much content?

Indeed. Interesting you don´t have this stability problems on your own, are you using Win10?

Dunno if it helps, but when game crashes while loading the sound is gone a sec. before, maybe it´s just too much traffic for the game cache when loading. AOE got much more content in the years, more sounds, music, events, units etc. what is very nice but maybe the game can ´t handle this much content?
yep to Win10. As for the cache thing, it's a possibility, but unlikely, as a mod like Rise of Mankind is much more bloated with content, but doesn't have those issues ( as far as i know)

yep to Win10. As for the cache thing, it's a possibility, but unlikely, as a mod like Rise of Mankind is much more bloated with content, but doesn't have those issues ( as far as i know)

Hmm, that´s odd, do you think or know if the crashes at the end of a turn when other fractions make their moves are the same based reason?

Hmm, that´s odd, do you think or know if the crashes at the end of a turn when other fractions make their moves are the same based reason?
I can't be fully certain, but it's very unlikely. Crashes at the end of a turn usually come from a missing edge case or a code error in a specific mechanic, and they're not random. Each time the situation happens, it crashes. These are a different beast

Newer the less it's worth a shot. Especially since my art modules aren't packaged into .pak files. So I would appreciate it if anyone with lots of crashes would make a quick test with all my art modules disabled.

Newer the less it's worth a shot. Especially since my art modules aren't packaged into .pak files. So I would appreciate it if anyone with lots of crashes would make a quick test with all my art modules disabled.

I tried, but disabling your modules seems to have no effect for me starting a game it crashes like it mostly does, seeing no effect..
I just could imagine it might have maybe an impact at the end of a turn when Units fight each other maybe. As Black imperator said, the crashes at the end of the turn might always happen when something is happening, Unit X fights Unit Z etc., so reloading don´t help as this fight for example happening again over and over.

I tried, but disabling your modules seems to have no effect for me starting a game it crashes like it mostly does, seeing no effect..
I just could imagine it might have maybe an impact at the end of a turn when Units fight each other maybe. As Black imperator said, the crashes at the end of the turn might always happen when something is happening, Unit X fights Unit Z etc., so reloading don´t help as this fight for example happening again over and over.
Thanks. I can't really test it my self because my version of the module is full of half finished units that you people don't have and which can actually cause crashes.

most of it is likely the same issue. (it crashes at the same point as the startup).

There is another save-related issue that causes save files to bloat, but it's relatively rare and can be contained easily ( It's linked to a specific event).
I'm glad this is a known issue, because I just found a 16.8gb autosave and I wasn't sure what to make of it

I have a question about automatic terraforming when a civilization that has automatic terraforming adopts a religion that also has automatic terraforming.

Specifically, in my current game I'm playing as the Illians and adopted White Hand. The Illians form Frost Climate, according to the 'pedia, while White Hand forms Glacial Climate. So I'm having tiles switch back and forth between Glacier and either Taiga or Tundra. The problem is that when the terrain changes I'll temporarily lose a resource (eg, Mushrooms, Cow) until the terrain changes back and the resource comes back.

It's more an inconvenience than anything else, but I'm wondering if this is how it's supposed to work. What happens, for example, if the Cualli or Mazatl, or the Malakim, for that matter, adopt White Hand or Fellowship of Leaves, however unlikely that might be? Or if the Illians adopt FoL? (I think those are all the civs and religions with automatic terraforming.) Does the terrain fluctuate back and forth? And is that how it's supposed to be?

I have a question about automatic terraforming when a civilization that has automatic terraforming adopts a religion that also has automatic terraforming.

Specifically, in my current game I'm playing as the Illians and adopted White Hand. The Illians form Frost Climate, according to the 'pedia, while White Hand forms Glacial Climate. So I'm having tiles switch back and forth between Glacier and either Taiga or Tundra. The problem is that when the terrain changes I'll temporarily lose a resource (eg, Mushrooms, Cow) until the terrain changes back and the resource comes back.

It's more an inconvenience than anything else, but I'm wondering if this is how it's supposed to work. What happens, for example, if the Cualli or Mazatl, or the Malakim, for that matter, adopt White Hand or Fellowship of Leaves, however unlikely that might be? Or if the Illians adopt FoL? (I think those are all the civs and religions with automatic terraforming.) Does the terrain fluctuate back and forth? And is that how it's supposed to be?

I actually have no idea ^^. White Hand is the only one with actual terraforming though, FoL only increases the rate of forest growth.
I'll look into it. We'll probably have to choose an order of priority to decide which is active and which isn't

I actually have no idea ^^. White Hand is the only one with actual terraforming though, FoL only increases the rate of forest growth.
I'll look into it. We'll probably have to choose an order of priority to decide which is active and which isn't

Maybe next time I play a civ like the Malakim or Mazatl -- or Sidar, for that matter, since they generate Mist if I'm remembering right -- it might be interesting as an experiment to adopt either White Hand or FoL and see how things play out. (I know FoL only affects forests, but might be interesting to see how that interacts with the Mazatl's Jungle terraforming.)

I think I've mentioned this before, but Priests of Winter can upgrade only to High Priests of Winter and not Eidolons, Paladins (unlikely, I know), or Ice Druids (I guess the Mulyalfar Elf was renamed). It was like that in unmodded FfH2, where White Hand was an Illians-only religion, so maybe it made sense back then, to make it really distinctive. But I'm not sure that limitation sill makes sense. Just seems like a holdover from when the game was quite different.

I think I've mentioned this before, but Priests of Winter can upgrade only to High Priests of Winter and not Eidolons, Paladins (unlikely, I know), or Ice Druids (I guess the Mulyalfar Elf was renamed). It was like that in unmodded FfH2, where White Hand was an Illians-only religion, so maybe it made sense back then, to make it really distinctive. But I'm not sure that limitation sill makes sense. Just seems like a holdover from when the game was quite different.
I just found out lately that every civ can found white hand now, was really suprised as hamstalfar attached to that religion as I thought hamster don´t like winter :-D. Would be ok if it would be Illian and frozen civ only. I also feel some of these agnostic civs deserve their own "religion" or better said cult as they always struggle with economy when they cant have a religion so they are bound to have only few cities and less units in commom.
I was thinking of an improvement for mechanos called "maschinengeist" for example, spirits bound to mechanic things to make it work better to give some kind of production bonus and special mechanic-spirit golem units for example.

I just found out lately that every civ can found white hand now, was really suprised as hamstalfar attached to that religion as I thought hamster don´t like winter :-D. Would be ok if it would be Illian and frozen civ only. I also feel some of these agnostic civs deserve their own "religion" or better said cult as they always struggle with economy when they cant have a religion so they are bound to have only few cities and less units in commom.
I was thinking of an improvement for mechanos called "maschinengeist" for example, spirits bound to mechanic things to make it work better to give some kind of production bonus and special mechanic-spirit golem units for example.
I do have plans to make a pass on religions and give National cults a more structured existence in game. It's not gonna be soon though ^^

I do have plans to make a pass on religions and give National cults a more structured existence in game. It's not gonna be soon though ^^

I see a few issues for civs that can't research any of the religious techs:

1) Having some culture-generating UBs to make up for not being able to build temples. I think the Grigori and Scions are pretty good about this, the Cualli not so much.

2) Having some of their UBs reduce crime, again to make up for not being able to build temples, since several of the temples reduce crime.

3) Having a Tier 1 Disciple Unit that can do a culture burst to pacify a newly-conquered city. I know you gave the Cualli a Disciple of Agruonn unit with this ability. I know you've also said that you might want to get rid of this mechanism altogether, so if you do that this issue goes away.

Just a few suggestions.

At minima, each national cult would get a full disciple line ( Disciple, Priest, High Priest) with a couple of unique spells, plus one temple and an additional building. more than that that will depend on the cult.

Hey Black, how are you doing? Have you already been able to adress the stability issues, if yes do you´ve a clue when you release the new revision update? :)

Top Bottom