Final Fixes Reborn

So pretty weird bug I found in an older SVN version I was using (because the current one crashes when making/loading games to be useable at all.
I have also checked this in the Stable version, and I have used several 'Play Now' games and used the world builder to test several times (spawning in typed Mana and a mage with the right spells), I cannot for the life of me figure out whats causing it
The Main Report is as follows:
Version: Stable 14.11 download.
Civ: DVD version
Some (but not all) spells are just uncastable, the ability button is there, but its 'greyed out' and not clickable. So far, this is true for Dispel Magic, Scorch and Spring, and also the 'add slave to city' spell for D'tesh, which makes them completley unplayable. Civs like Mechanos need dispel magic to be able to use typed mana nodes for anything at all. This also makes clearing Haunted Lands (usually done with dispel magic) very difficult also.
Any idea at all what could be causing it? The attached screenshot is of Gaelan, standing on a mind mana node on a desert tile, and neither Dispel Magic (for the Mana) or Spring (for the Desert) are available to cast.
At first this issue occured on my Laptop while I was away, and I only realised quite a way into the midgame as Mechanos, which was quite frustrating.
This was the first time I had played on Windows 11, so at first I thought maybe that was it. But I tested it on my Windows 10 Desktop and have the same issue. I also loaded up Orbis, and things seem to be working just fine with that mod.
I would try testing this on the latest version, but it just crashes, so I guess thats a problem that needs fixing aswell

Attachments

• AoEScreenshot.png
    AoEScreenshot.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
So pretty weird bug I found in an older SVN version I was using (because the current one crashes when making/loading games to be useable at all.
I have also checked this in the Stable version, and I have used several 'Play Now' games and used the world builder to test several times (spawning in typed Mana and a mage with the right spells), I cannot for the life of me figure out whats causing it
The Main Report is as follows:
Version: Stable 14.11 download.
Civ: DVD version
Some (but not all) spells are just uncastable, the ability button is there, but its 'greyed out' and not clickable. So far, this is true for Dispel Magic, Scorch and Spring, and also the 'add slave to city' spell for D'tesh, which makes them completley unplayable. Civs like Mechanos need dispel magic to be able to use typed mana nodes for anything at all. This also makes clearing Haunted Lands (usually done with dispel magic) very difficult also.
Any idea at all what could be causing it? The attached screenshot is of Gaelan, standing on a mind mana node on a desert tile, and neither Dispel Magic (for the Mana) or Spring (for the Desert) are available to cast.
At first this issue occured on my Laptop while I was away, and I only realised quite a way into the midgame as Mechanos, which was quite frustrating.
This was the first time I had played on Windows 11, so at first I thought maybe that was it. But I tested it on my Windows 10 Desktop and have the same issue. I also loaded up Orbis, and things seem to be working just fine with that mod.
I would try testing this on the latest version, but it just crashes, so I guess thats a problem that needs fixing aswell
I'm aware of the crashes on the latest version. I have someone more skilled than i am in those types of things looking into it. You can try maybe version 343 or 344 on the svn, which should have some crashes but noticeably less so than the most recent one...

As for the other one, it sounds like a python failure of some sort, but not sure without seeing it run.

I tried the 343 revision, and after failing to start one time (got stuck at initializing, didnt crash, but just hung there forever) the second time, it worked and also the spells worked when I tested, thanks for the help, and good luck fixing the instability in the latest version

Maybe I'm not reading things right, but who or what is Badb and how does he enter the game? I see that he's available with the Strength of Will Technology. With all the Ice promotions, does he have something to do with the Frozen? I've disabled the Frozen module, and previously if I didn't disable it I would select the No Liberation option, so if he's part of the Frozen module, that explains why I don't see him in my games, even if he's in the Civilopedia.

Maybe I'm not reading things right, but who or what is Badb and how does he enter the game? I see that he's available with the Strength of Will Technology. With all the Ice promotions, does he have something to do with the Frozen? I've disabled the Frozen module, and previously if I didn't disable it I would select the No Liberation option, so if he's part of the Frozen module, that explains why I don't see him in my games, even if he's in the Civilopedia.
Badb is a lair result at the moment

I ´ve a little question, I play as Hyborem and taking other civs as vasalls in a peace situation (in this case Dao) declares immediatly war to Agares, is that working as intended?
From lore sight it might be logic as infernals want to destroy everything, but it ´s a bit boring if you can ´t have vasalls without losing peace with Agares. If I remember right I conquered in another game another civ with hyborem and took it as vassal, but this mad civ switched religion to kilmorph later and I had instant war again with Agares. For my current playthrough nevermind, I guess I need to destroy more civs and cities then.

I ´ve a little question, I play as Hyborem and taking other civs as vasalls in a peace situation (in this case Dao) declares immediatly war to Agares, is that working as intended?
From lore sight it might be logic as infernals want to destroy everything, but it ´s a bit boring if you can ´t have vasalls without losing peace with Agares. If I remember right I conquered in another game another civ with hyborem and took it as vassal, but this mad civ switched religion to kilmorph later and I had instant war again with Agares. For my current playthrough nevermind, I guess I need to destroy more civs and cities then.
It's definitely working as was intended initially (it's a bts legacy system), but is also one of the things on my todo list to change

Posting here rather than in the bug thread, because I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended.

A Demonic stack of 15 Necromancers showed up in my territory and captured one of my cities -- that's the city to the north in the attached screenshot. They moved south towards my capital but I was able to eventually defeat them and go back and recapture that city to the north, but it was a real surprise.

Is there some event that causes this? I didn't see anything in the Event Log, but I might have missed something. The Armageddon Counter is really low, so I doubt this is AC related. I went into Worldbuilder to get a look and saw that Bradeline's Well is northwest of my territory, but I don't remember Bradeline's Well producing a stack like this.

Just wondering what's going on here, since I don't think I've experienced anything like this before.

SVN Revision 355.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Churel, Crime Balance Test, Dao, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Flight of Drakes, Fortifications, Lizard Art, Magister Ashes, MOM Buildings, More Events, Node Yields, Noggormotha, One Potion, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare.

Screenshot (234).png

Posting here rather than in the bug thread, because I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended.

A Demonic stack of 15 Necromancers showed up in my territory and captured one of my cities -- that's the city to the north in the attached screenshot. They moved south towards my capital but I was able to eventually defeat them and go back and recapture that city to the north, but it was a real surprise.

Is there some event that causes this? I didn't see anything in the Event Log, but I might have missed something. The Armageddon Counter is really low, so I doubt this is AC related. I went into Worldbuilder to get a look and saw that Bradeline's Well is northwest of my territory, but I don't remember Bradeline's Well producing a stack like this.

Just wondering what's going on here, since I don't think I've experienced anything like this before.

SVN Revision 355.

Active modules are the following: Advanced Workers, Black Duke, Churel, Crime Balance Test, Dao, Dural, Dwarves, Emergent Leaders, Everchanging, Flight of Drakes, Fortifications, Lizard Art, Magister Ashes, MOM Buildings, More Events, Node Yields, Noggormotha, One Potion, PPQ Effects, PPQ Flavor, PPQ Navy, Scion Healthcare.

View attachment 646767
errr i'm gonna go with bug on that one.

Hmm, it seems it ´s a bug that appears often. Not the Agares Unit stack of doom (never seen something like that) but when Agares conquers a city it seems to be bugged. Maybe it has something to do with the broken Hyborem code, because if he´s in the world and Agares conquers a city they ask Hyborem to keep it, or destroy it. So when he´s not in the world the cities get bugged when conquered by Agares.

Hello. Just got back onto Rife after some time off, not the least stable version - so this work!

Question: all the evil civs struggle in ever game, while the good ones excel.

In my current game, (Deity, normal speed, Erebus normal size, two extra civs due to less water and mountains) I’m on turn 215, I have over 1250 points and the other Good (Lanun) has 1150. The rest, all evil or evil-changed neutral are on 300-700. Ashen Vail was just founded at turn 214! By a neutral Elohim! All evils are hopelessly out of tech compared to me and the other good or good-changed neutral. Hyborem seems to be faaar off. I’ve helped the doomsday counter to at least reach over ten.

Is this as intended? When does Ashen Veil and Hyborem appear in your games?

Hello. Just got back onto Rife after some time off, not the least stable version - so this work!

Question: all the evil civs struggle in ever game, while the good ones excel.

In my current game, (Deity, normal speed, Erebus normal size, two extra civs due to less water and mountains) I’m on turn 215, I have over 1250 points and the other Good (Lanun) has 1150. The rest, all evil or evil-changed neutral are on 300-700. Ashen Vail was just founded at turn 214! By a neutral Elohim! All evils are hopelessly out of tech compared to me and the other good or good-changed neutral. Hyborem seems to be faaar off. I’ve helped the doomsday counter to at least reach over ten.

Is this as intended? When does Ashen Veil and Hyborem appear in your games?
there's a number of various effects that together cause this :
-on average, Evil Leader Personalities are more aggressive/distrusful, less likely to share tech and stuff than good leaders.
-If Hell spawns, it affects mostly Evil and then Neutral leaders, and is weakening their economy
-the way civs switch religions in civ4 doesn't work great with the fantasy setting. They basically switch to the first religion that shows up in their towns that they're not forbidden to take, and then the only way to make them switch to another is for the new religion to be the one appearing in most their cities, except they don't encourage the growth of non-followed religions in their lands. That means that the later a religion spawns, the less it's able to have an effect.
-Veil is further hampered by being locked behind KotE which is not a tech most civs see as urgent compared to Economy techs or more standard military ones.
-The flipside of this is that civs that do see KotE as a priority tech tend to focus on that tree too much, and it's mostly evil civs ( and Amurites).

It's not happening every game ( the last time i lost a game was a Gone to Hell victory), but it is a very common situation with the current balance and AI yeah.

The problem with Fall from Heaven is it's very buggy mostly because it requires the legacy pre patched version of BTS.

However the pre patched version of BTS (when you switch to BETA in properties) isn't really the same in Steam, so there's some issues if one doesn't have a hard copy. But the problem even with a hard copy gets worse with mod mods because they tend to port assets and code from the patched version which might cause things to go slightly haywire under the hood.

Other mods have been ported to the final patch for BTS so they generally avoid these issues however base FFH2 was finished before the final patch was made and then no one bothered to port the whole thing over likely because it would be too much effort and bug squashing required.

Better to just play base FFH2 and avoid mod mod issues. Regular FFH2 is at least okay on Steam as well.

The problem with Fall from Heaven is it's very buggy mostly because it requires the legacy pre patched version of BTS.

However the pre patched version of BTS (when you switch to BETA in properties) isn't really the same in Steam, so there's some issues if one doesn't have a hard copy. But the problem even with a hard copy gets worse with mod mods because they tend to port assets and code from the patched version which might cause things to go slightly haywire under the hood.

Other mods have been ported to the final patch for BTS so they generally avoid these issues however base FFH2 was finished before the final patch was made and then no one bothered to port the whole thing over likely because it would be too much effort and bug squashing required.

Better to just play base FFH2 and avoid mod mod issues. Regular FFH2 is at least okay on Steam as well.
it's less because it would take too much effort and more because i don't actually know what changed between the patches to keep it compatible, and i haven't found out enough info about it. I have the option of doing it blind, but that indeed is something i'm reluctant to put time into

Playing as the Austrin in my current game. I find them really interesting, but given their varied upgrade paths and unit starting promotions I think they could use some simplifying, to help players avoid having to micro-manage too much.

Here's what I'd like to suggest:

1) Have Austrin mounted units start with the Adventurer promotion. Right now the Traveler, the Austrin UU Scout replacement, starts with the Adventurer promotion. Like the regular Scout the Traveler can upgrade to a Horseman and, when Horsemen become obsolete, Horse Archer or Chariot. I think it would be easier if the Austrin mounted units started with Adventurer.

2) Have Austrin recon units start with Adventurer, Guerilla I, and Woodsman I. Right now the Highlander, the Austrin UU Axeman replacement, starts with Guerilla I and can upgrade to a Tracker, the Austrin UU Ranger replacement, which starts with Adventurer and Woodsman I. The Tracker can then upgrade to an Assasisn and Shadow. Again, I think it would be simpler if Austrin recon units started with all three promotions.

3) Have Austrin archery units start with Adventurer, Guerilla I, and Woodsman II. Currently you can upgrade a Highlander, which starts with Guerilla I, to Tracker, which starts with Adventurer and Woodsman I, to Recurve Archer, which starts with Woodsman II. Instead of having to go through all that, remembering which Highlander or Tracker you're upgrading to what, it's simpler if their archery units start with the promotions in question.

4) Have Austrin melee units start with Guerilla I. Highlanders, which start with Guerilla I, can upgrade to Champion and ultimately the Tier 4 melee units (plus Paladins or Eidolons if alignment allows). Once Highlanders go obsolete, though, Austrin Champions don't start with this promotion. It just seems odd to lose capabilities as you advance, so I think it would be easiest to have all Austrin melee units start with Guerilla I. And again, you avoid having to keep track of which Highlander you're upgrading to what.

If you accept the above, then I think a corollary would be to simplify the upgrade paths as follows:

A) Have Highlanders upgrade only to Champions, since recon and archery units would already start with the Guerilla I promotion.

B) Have Trackers upgrade only to Assassins or Beastmasters and not Recurve Archers, since archery units would already be starting with the Adventurer promotion. Incidentally, I noticed that Trackers can't upgrade to Beastmasters, which doesn't seem right.

C) Have Travelers upgrade only to Explorers and not Horsemen, since otherwise Austrin mounted units would get the Adventurer, Guerilla I, and Woodsman I promotions -- if you accept the suggestion to have Austrin recon units start with all three of those promotions.

I think this simplifies things for the player. And I'm not a programmer, but I suspect this may help the AI also.

Top Bottom