Firaxis Ripping us all off!

GrandMatt

Warlord
Just like with civ 3 s expansions, Play the world, then Conquests. Firaxis has a habit of withdrawing items that should have been in the orginal and plugging them into multiple expansions. Although Warlords is the only one too be announced, i will bet anyone that a 3rd will be on the way.

Firaxis can you please concentrate on patching and updating the original, rather than making us have to purchase multiple expansions to get what we should already have in the vanilla version.

I dont think its too much to ask for the developer to be as devoted to the first version of Civ4 as they are to every subsequent expansion. FIX CIV4 ORGINAL BEFORE YOU RELEASE ANY BLOODY EXPANSIONS THANKYOU!

The expansion will include, among other things, multiple new scenarios and, in all likelihood, additional units, buildings, etc. Expansion packs are quite common in the computer gaming industry and this seems sufficient to warrant more than a patch.

Ummm......... where did it say that you MUST buy this expansion in order to get the patch? The patch will be available for a total cost of $0.00 if you go ahead and download it from in the game.

For the past decade it has been assumed that there would be at least one expansion for successful PC titles. Why should this game be any different?

GrandMatt said:
Just like with civ 3 s expansions, Play the world, then Conquests. Firaxis has a habit of withdrawing items that should have been in the orginal and plugging them into multiple expansions. Although Warlords is the only one too be announced, i will bet anyone that a 3rd will be on the way.

Firaxis can you please concentrate on patching and updating the original, rather than making us have to purchase multiple expansions to get what we should already have in the vanilla version.

I dont think its too much to ask for the developer to be as devoted to the first version of Civ4 as they are to every subsequent expansion. FIX CIV4 ORGINAL BEFORE YOU RELEASE ANY BLOODY EXPANSIONS THANKYOU!

Yes, they are, but what makes you think that the expansion will work any better than the original version?

Mewtarthio said:
The expansion will include, among other things, multiple new scenarios and, in all likelihood, additional units, buildings, etc. Expansion packs are quite common in the computer gaming industry and this seems sufficient to warrant more than a patch.

Well shouldnt all this extra content been released in the orginal, i understand the commercial need for expansions, but it seems they are puttting all there efforts in the expansion rahter than the next patch

jdurg said:
Ummm......... where did it say that you MUST buy this expansion in order to get the patch? The patch will be available for a total cost of $0.00 if you go ahead and download it from in the game.

I am just pointing out that Firaxis are putting there efforts into another expansion rather than fixing up the first civ4.

How long has it been since last patch!!!!

warpstorm said:
For the past decade it has been assumed that there would be at least one expansion for successful PC titles. Why should this game be any different?

I agree with this point of view. However, it's not just because games are so successful that they release expansions. Expansions come about because the added features, units, civs, etc are too much to put into a simple patch. Also, do you really want to wait while your computer downloads a 150+ MB expansion file? Not me, my connection is too unreliable for that.

GrandMatt said:
I am just pointing out that Firaxis are putting there efforts into another expansion rather than fixing up the first civ4.

How long has it been since last patch!!!!

There is nothing wrong with civ4. Besides, the expansion pack wont come out for months. There will probably be more patches before that.

If someone doesn't want to buy the original game and each expansion as it is released, that person can always wait until a compilation pack comes out. Not only would s/he get the game with all its expansions, but everything would be fully patched.

It would be much cheaper, too. Of course there would be a rather long wait.

Guerra said:
Firaxis needs to make money.

Stop complaining like an unemployed churl.

I agree that. Game development nowadays is very expensive investment.
I guess that they can't get to break-even point with Civ 4 original only. Sale of original can not cover all the non-recurring cost they spent during long CIv 4 development time.
They must sell more EP's to reclaim their investment.
EP cost much less to develope but more profitable even in smaller volumn,
This is how PC game business is run today.

So think it as our tip to Firaxis for making enjoyable game or advance-payment to prompt them to make it better game.

I don't care how much "new feature/contents" EP will have. My only wish with EP is that it should be stable, throughly-tested and well-balanced, and some rough aspect of originals be polished and rounded. That's all I wish for new EP.

The whole point of an expansion is to add extra fluff to a game, not add core elements that are missing. I don't need an expansion to enjoy the game, because it is already solid. I will buy it anyway because I will enjoy the extra professionally made content.

That's just capitialism in action.

As far as I know, you're not ripped off until you've actually paid for it.

Don't buy it and you won't get ripped off.

I'll reserve judgement until after I've purchased Warlords and played it.

Seriously guy, if it worries you that much I suggest you boycott. Don't you think you got your monies worth with vanilla?

gmanne said:
Seriously guy, if it worries you that much I suggest you boycott. Don't you think you got your monies worth with vanilla?

It's the exact opposite, at the risk of being called a fanboy, I am very happy with the game so far. There's no chance of me boycotting, I can't play as much as I would like right now.

I'm just upset that people are saying they have been ripped off, and the product in question hasn't even been released.

I agree with the original poster.

At least get multiplayer working properly as "this game was built with MP from the begginning" yeah right that'll be why so many get cant connect to peer message.

A patch has been submitted to the publisher. Here's the Link to Thamer's recent comment.

I'm hopeful it's a "final" patch and substantially addresses all the outstanding issues. Yeah, I know it's "not broke" as many will kindly point out, but it's buggy as hell to a lot of people.

I don't think it's the case with Firaxis (yet), but there is a precedent of using "game and balance issues" and such to sell future expansions. The MMOs have been doing this for several years now. They take all the community discussion about why the game "in it's current state" is broken and then announce they're addressing that problem in "a future expansion". They come out every 6 months for about $30 (on top of the monthly fee). Economics of course. I do wince when I see all the posts about future expansion wants and someone ties a "fix" to them. The OP's concern is that instead of $50 US it'll be $110 and 15 months before his game finally works ...

Firaxias is at firstmost an investment company. They need to make money. With the mass production of all of those juicy quality games they have to pay their many employees alot, plus they have to fill their own pockets with the money they deserve for all of the work they've done making such a great game. An expansion is just another way for a company (who's goal is to make money) to make money.

warpstorm said:

I agree with this. The way I see it, you pay the company that makes a game so that you can enjoy it without the company getting a bunch of :mad:, everyone going on strike and then disbanding.

If it's successful, they spend more money on more development, so it makes sense for a large update (the expansion) that you should pay for it again so the above tragic scenario doesn't happen.

Top Bottom