[RD] Gender is a social construct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally am very binary - I thought of myself "100% masc" (albeit questioning in significant ways) for quite a while, and then in figuring out I am trans I now am "100% fem", and the guts of my gender coin-flip (replace with whatever binary metaphor you like) happened as quickly as I could manage. But I absolutely recognize a gender spectrum that is at least two-dimensional and possibly 3D. Much as pretty much everyone agrees that there's a lot of folks that are in between 100% homosexual and 100% heterosexual (pan, bi, and all the rest) and with a y-axis of way into the nympho (hyper?) sexual and down into the a- or demi- and so on. Me being binary in my own gender doesn't preclude nonbinary or agender genders any more than me being ace or Catholic precludes heteroflexible people or Protestants, Buddhists, atheists, or agnostics from existing (though the religious example has the significant hole of everyone thinking everyone else is actually wrong, I suppose).
Want to eliminate gender? Go ahead, it's a social construct, right? Eliminate race and ethnicity too please, while you're at it. But I will still be happy when skirt goes spinny, even with people yelling "clothes aren't inherently gendered" to my face. When my great-grandchild grows up in a post-gender world, xey can have a cisgender-style mindset and maybe that'll be okay too.

Want to eliminate gender? Go ahead, it's a social construct, right?.
First step in that is to get people to recognize that it's entirely a social construct.

The basic premise of "tran-sexual" is "mind of one gender and body of the other". Or "Wired" as they like to vaguely say but it amounts to the same thing. This concept and the resulting conversations precludes gender entirely being a social construct.

There may be many "trans-racial" people in practice, but they don't label it as such, they just practice the culture etc that they feel most comfortable with. And yes that can result in rejection and worse. It just hasn't been labelized as a identity. Maybe because people recognize "race" as a social construct more than they do "gender".

So maybe people should like what they like and live how they want and not sweat the details so much.

So like if someone with a vagina wants to do what is normally considered masculine things and is getting mistreated for it, that should absolutely be addressed. If we abolish gender norms, trans problems go with it.

If they are fine with the person with the vagina acting "masculine" or person with a penis acting "feminine" and only cause trouble for you when you beat them over the head about pronouns trying to force your ideology onto them, maybe don't do that?

What ideology is this bro
I've been explaining this in detail throughout this thread. So this questions a bit irritating. I will recap for you.

The ideology of gender being a biological thing, which is encapsulated by the trans-gender concept of having a brain not wired for the body AKA gendered mind of one gender and body of the opposite gender.

The difference in ideology between trans and their haters in ideology despite both generally believing in gender norms is trans people say you can switch and be inbetween.

So there you go, sis.

Last edited:
The ideology of gender being a biological thing
Who . . . says this?

I realise I might seem a bit slow here, but you have comments saying gender is a social construct, and you respond saying your issue is people "beating others over the head with their pronouns" (unlikely, but nevermind) while apparently pushing an ideology of "gender being a biological thing".

But folks asking you to demonstrate some basic level of respect about their chosen pronouns aren't going to be saying gender is biological, so? What gives?

Who . . . says this?

I realise I might seem a bit slow here, but you have comments saying gender is a social construct, and you respond saying your issue is people "beating others over the head with their pronouns" (unlikely, but nevermind) while apparently pushing an ideology of "gender being a biological thing".

But folks asking you to demonstrate some basic level of respect about their chosen pronouns aren't going to be saying gender is biological, so? What gives?
You are skipping some important parts of of what I said despite it being so short.

Let's start with this. Do you think "transgender" is having the mind of one gender and the body of another? Or do people choose to be transgender as a identity? Like how someone might choose to be a hippy or a goth.

You are skipping some important parts of of what I said despite it being so short.

Let's start with this. Do you think "transgender" is having the mind of one gender and the body of another? Or do people choose to be transgender as a identity? Like how someone might choose to be a hippy or a goth.

neither.

Those who repeatedly prove they are ignoring my words will no longer have me replying to them. Like Ninjacow acts like I say words completely different than what I actually said and it's getting worse. I wonder if this is intentional even.
I assure you that if you think I have misrepresented or misinterpreted your opinions that it was entirely by accident and I apologise for doing so. I would appreciate it if you could point out where I misrepresented or misinterpreted you so I can engage with what you actually believe.

As @schlaufuchs said, neither. "Born in the wrong body" is an oversimplification that I initially used to explain myself to boomers who weren't going to listen to any nuance, and I've since learned that it is flawed in multiple ways.

And lord knows I've not chosen to be trans.

Those who repeatedly prove they are ignoring my words will no longer have me replying to them. Like Ninjacow acts like I say words completely different than what I actually said and it's getting worse. I wonder if this is intentional even.
People are upset that a lot of your comments are dunking on Trans people. A good rhetorical tactic here would be to show how your ideology dunks on conservatives so we can at least know that you aren't targeting them specifically.

First step in that is to get people to recognize that it's entirely a social construct.
The first step is to get conservative jerks to shut up so the adults can speak.

I assure you that if you think I have misrepresented or misinterpreted your opinions that it was entirely by accident and I apologise for doing so. I would appreciate it if you could point out where I misrepresented or misinterpreted you so I can engage with what you actually believe.

I can assure OP that I am not utilizing my full brain power to analyze their statements until they demonstrate personal emotional stakes greater than the satisfaction of winning an internet pissing match

And lord knows I've not chosen to be trans.
Suffice to say you believe it to be a part of your inherent nature, thus you believe gender to be a natural inherent part of people.

Which is in direct conflict with the belief that gender doesn't actually exist and is only a social construct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom