H G Well's The War of the Worlds

well that's nasty :eek::eek::eek:, i guess all we can do,it's to make them catch the worst flu that i call Monkey Flu lol

well that's nasty :eek::eek::eek:, i guess all we can do,it's to make them catch the worst flu that i call Monkey Flu lol

According to Wells all it took was the common cold! :lol:

:nuke: Cheers, Thor :nuke:

Thanks for the links! Downloading now, an hour left, sigh.

You are quite welcome. I just wished I had known the links were down earlier. :(

got it yesterday , tried the Martian save . ı have a 392 MB RAM machine and it was OK until ı decided to raze Edinburgh as per spirit . Think ı would have been still waiting for the calculations to end . Do ı give playing this ( which ı don't want to ) or do ı make a War of Worlds -Lite by myself ? Tried deleting many of the Civs and the editor crashed . Carried an empty world map to start from ground up and other civs don't even bother to settle ; never been any good with the editor . Is there any short way of deleting cities apart from finding and removing them one by one on the map ? Are there any particular cities that need to be kept becaus certain wonders are to be built only there ? ı know too much questions , but ı would like to maintain the challenge by , say by 20 percent cities for humans and 20 percent initial forces for the Martians . A long glimpse at the thread and ı have the idea that there is a post that mentions a box in the editor to enable or ban city razing ; ı have never seen a thing so far and would like to learn its place too .

why bothering people with all these ? Because they know the mod is superb and ı simply want to play it too . Thanks in advance .

Have you tried importing the map, but not the cities using the import function?

I think you're forced to manually clear up terrain modifications by hand if you want a clean purge of it though, but keep the map.

ı have removed lots of cities and units to ease the workload on the computer , managed to see up to Turn 5 or 6 but the game simply stops when ı erase cities and ı have to ctrl+alt+del to get out . Most probably coincidence but my computer has also started to show signs of unstability so ı give up for the moment .

will return ; on the day ı get a suitable machine .First turn battle is spectacular , would like to see the endgame .

Hi,

Im running this on both Windows 7 and a Mac, I always get the same error (attached is a screen dump), how do I fix this? What am I missing? Everyone else seems to run this without a hitch...

Attachments

• Civ 3 error.jpg
    Civ 3 error.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 269
when ı see something like this , ı always check the file structure . Using Winrar ı usually get a double folder , say if the scenario is named A , ı will get an A folder inside another A folder . Carry the inner folder to scenarios and remove the first and it tends to work without a hitch

Hi r16, u r a legend :) , i deleted all my other files for HG Well's, then re-downloaded the file, un-packed it, then carefully moved the files from Conquests to the Senarios Folder - just as you u suggested - and it worked like a peach !!

If u ever hit Sydney I owe u a beer !!

Thanks a lot...

ahh . it is only because the double folder thing happens to me all the time . A teetotaller here but thank you .

ı have removed lots of cities and units to ease the workload on the computer , managed to see up to Turn 5 or 6 but the game simply stops when ı erase cities and ı have to ctrl+alt+del to get out . Most probably coincidence but my computer has also started to show signs of unstability so ı give up for the moment.

will return ; on the day ı get a suitable machine .First turn battle is spectacular , would like to see the endgame .

No, it does not stop you just have to have patience. I have a comp that is 7 years old now, in point of fact, the one I created this mod on. I have gotten to the point where the Martians have wiped out Europe up to the Don in Russia.

The problem is that civ 3 recalculates EVERY trade link that a city has, and if it has a port, it has a connection with every other city on the the map that has a port. So the comp is replotting those severed trade links.

So, as the Martians, the more cities you wipe out, the faster the game gets. ;)

The double folder problem is due to the fact, IIRC, you folks are using the civ complete version. And the mod was created using the original Civ three and expansions.

Hi r16, u r a legend :) , i deleted all my other files for HG Well's, then re-downloaded the file, un-packed it, then carefully moved the files from Conquests to the Senarios Folder - just as you u suggested - and it worked like a peach !!

If u ever hit Sydney I owe u a beer !!

Thanks a lot...

Uh, could you explain exactly what you did? Because many of us have the same issue and there's no description of what was done to make this work.

1. To leave England you have to research the Martian Cylinder, which is a helo class unit that can lift units into Europe. Also researching the Martian Transport will give you a naval class transport. I also STRONGLY suggest you spend the time building LOTS of fighting machines and black smoke, the humans are NUMEROUS!:crazyeye:

2. The Digging Machine mines and makes fortifications.

3. To irrigate you need Handling machines. They make cities and all the other things workers do.

4. Human workers are to be sacrificed for culture. No Martian building but the Palace gives culture.

5. Ireland will be that way till you research the Martian equivelant of the airport and build it. Ireland is a backwater anyway. You can build everything in England.:D

Any other questions do not hesitate to ask.:)

Cheers, Thorgrimm

You should post this in post 1. Important info about the game. Started a new game yesterday and couldn't remember how to play this.

That has to do with the aquaduct attribute, that keeps you from building it next to a river. So avoid planting cities next to a river square.

More..

and how nice it would be to have a smaller version . ı have this new shiny laptop and the repeat attempt just resulted in the same , there is no end to the first turn ...

Top Bottom