Help with installing BUFFY

@Duckweed I think I had this issue too some years ago. Not sure now how I solved this, windowed mod, changing game screen resolution, something like that.

@Duckweed I think I had this issue too some years ago. Not sure now how I solved this, windowed mod, changing game screen resolution, something like that.

The solution is "Don't run the game compatible with Windows XP". I was just too used to and followed the old settings without thinking. Fortunately I knew the game ran normally before I installed BUFFY, took me half an hour to figure out.

Interesting, for me under Windows 8.1 it did not run until I've changed to windows XP mod and then there were errors till I changed to Windows 7 compatipability. It really seem to be dependent on moon phase...

Window 7 compatibility works for me as well, but windows XP compatibility caused the problem.

I also get this error message when I'm trying to load the BUFFY mod:

I'm running Windows 8.0 (64bit) with a Steam installation of BTS. I tried various things mentioned before (all the suggestions for Vista/Windows 7 users from http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista). I also enabled the built-in Administrator account of Windows 8 that runs always in elevated mode after Windows login. No success.

What does the message actually mean: "The HOF Mod will be unable to save settings." Which files and folders are meant where BUFFY thinks it could not save into? Under the BUFFY Mod folder is a subfolder "UserSettings", in my installationn here:

...\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUFFY-3.19.003\UserSettings

If I click on OK in the message above the program starts and I can also start a new game (of course it has the warning that the game can't be submitted to the HoF). If I open the options dialog then with CTRL+ALT+O and change something (for example I unchecked the Autolog option) and close the dialog with Exit I can see that the "Autolog.ini" file in the "UserSettings" folder changed its time stamp to the current date and time and if I open the file in the [Autolog] section "Enabled = True" changed indeed to "Enabled = False". So, where is the problem? Are other settings meant that are stored somewhere else than in the "UserSettings" folder? Maybe a subfolder in the standard Windows "Users\My Documents\..." folder? However, saving a game there works as well even after loading BUFFY. I cannot see any problems that are related to unsufficient user privileges.

Look in the thread with the same name in the HoF forums. There were multiple users who had problems with Steam installations, and the solution to it was to "downgrade" CIV iirc. . There should be an option to download "CIV Beta" or something like that in Steam.

Thanks Seraiel and leif! Downloading the Steam "Beta" version worked. I had 2 follow-up problems - "You have selected an unusable voice capture device" and "Invalid mod directory". Both I could solve by changing the "CivilizationIV.ini": "EnableVoice = 0" for the first problem and setting "Mod = Mods\BUFFY-3.19.003" for the second one. I cannot load BUFFY from the in-game menu (Advanced/Load a Mod, then I get the second error above), only by setting the Mod in the ini file, but that's no big deal.

Specifying the Windows 7 compatibility mode isn't necessary for me, it works in normal Win 8 mode, but starting the game as Administrator is, otherwise I'm back at my old error.

Windows XP Home Edition running under VMWare Fusion 8.5.3 on a Macbook Air gives me this error.
Screenshot 2017-01-29 22.02.18.png

When I continue, I get this error, and am returned to the menu.
Screenshot 2017-01-29 22.04.43.png

Suggestions welcome.

Looks like the administrator problem. How did you set admin privileges? Change the file settings or everytime you start the game?
I never managed to change the file in a correct way myself and always start with right click -> run as admin.

I hope AlanH stops by soon because I do not know Macs very well.

The first one is generally about Administrator privileges.

The second is about the assets in your game install being different from the ones in the game. Please see this page in the HoF forum.

If you open Properties on the .exe file (not the shortcut) and open the Compatibility tab, is there an option to "Run this program as an administrator"?

Note that, other than the fact that it's a virtual machine running on a Mac, this is entirely a Windows issue. Steam, BtS, and BUFFY are completely blind to the Mac, and only see that they are running on Windows XP Home Edition.

Sure. I run it on a Mac as well, though I have Win10 Pro in Parallels. I create the start files using that setup. Obviously, I don't know how the Home edition of Windows behaves.. And I don't run the Steam version. Two suggestions:

- Have you looked at the Steam instructions on the HoF web site?

- Have you run the Assets Checker on the HoF web site? Post the results if you need help to interpret it.

[EDIT] Just looked at your screenshot. It looks as if you are running in Win98 compatibility mode? I run BtS in Win7 compatibility mode. Try disabling the compatibility setting if you are on WinXP?

Any advice for installing Buffy on Windows 10. I am using CDs.Ran all the auto runs with admin rights. Same for the patches but I am getting the HOF warning message mentioning admin rights. I have not tested settings on the folders. Any thoughts?

Any advice for installing Buffy on Windows 10. I am using CDs.Ran all the auto runs with admin rights. Same for the patches but I am getting the HOF warning message mentioning admin rights. I have not tested settings on the folders. Any thoughts?

Do these these things and let us know:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Also, it may help to change the compatibility to Win 7 on the BTS executable, although I really don't think that should affect the HOF mod.

Lastly, try running the Asset Checker here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=assetschecker

..and let us know if there and diffs show up. It may be some dupe assets or a bad install.

Top Bottom