Is Out-Of-Control Street Crime Now Prevalent In Brazil?

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
Police driver's skills saved Jenson Button from Brazilian gang

The reigning Formula One world champion was returning from the Interlagos track on the outskirts of Sao Paulo, where he had just qualified for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

But it was the driving skills of Daniel Toni, a policeman on secondment to the McLaren team, that saved Button as he smashed his way through heavy traffic in a scene that resembled an action movie.

Security was stepped up around the circuit before the start of the grand prix, but the attack on such a high-profile personality is intensely damaging to the Brazilian government which is preparing to host the 2014 football World Cup and the Olympic Games two years later.

In separate incidents at about the same time, a group of team mechanics and a motor racing executive were robbed at gunpoint.

Button, who finished fifth in Sunday's Grand Prix, was travelling with John, his father, Richard Goddard, his manager, and Mike Collier, his trainer, on Saturday night when their armoured Mercedes B-Class pulled up at traffic lights on the three-lane highway that runs alongside the notorious favelas - shanty towns that are home to millions of the poorest people in Brazil.

Six men emerged from a shadowy doorway and headed for Button's car.

"We were three rows back," Button said. "Our driver always stops early and doesn't pull up right behind the car in front. We saw a few guys gathering on the side of the road. They looked a bit suspect but we didn't think anything of it. Then I noticed one guy was playing around with something in his trousers and it was a gun."

As the gunmen ran to the car, Button screamed at his driver: "F*** me, he has got a gun. Go, go, go." Mr Toni, an officer with elite protection training, who has chauffeured celebrities such as Madonna, put his foot down and smashed into the two cars ahead of him.

Within seconds, the Mercedes was tearing between traffic, scraping its bodywork and leaving behind a line of damaged cars.
"He just rammed every single car to get past," Button said.

"We got through in the end but, as we were crashing along, we looked back and there were two guys with handguns and one with what looked like a machinegun. Initially you think it is random. Afterwards, all sorts of things go through your mind. I am hoping we were just unlucky."

Seven mechanics from the BMW Sauber team were stopped in their minibus and robbed of their valuables at gunpoint. An unnamed team executive was also robbed outside his hotel.
Is Brazil actually a country where international sports stars have to fear for their own lives? Where they must travel around in bullet-proof Mercedes with trained escape drivers in order to survive?

Brazil is going to be destoyeeeedd!!111!

Just make more guns avaliable to the public so they can defend themselves.

Poverty, crime, its always been as such since time immorial (sp?)
Just do the usual things, more law enforcement, better trainning, more checks for corruption etc.

It's nothing like New York City at any point of its existence, much less 30-50 years ago. While the odds of getting mugged were a bit higher back then, millions of people "hung around" every single day in no real fear of their lives, including me.

There were 3 serious incidents involving F1 team members in a matter of days, including an apparent kidnapping attempt involving automatic weapons. Nothing like this has certainly ever happened at an F1 race weekend before. The only race venue that even comes close are all the security problems associated with the Paris-Dakar rally which eventually caused it to be moved from Africa to South America.

At the time, I thought giving Brazil the 2016 games was quite premature. Hopefully I'll be wrong. I mean, if South Africa could do the World Cup... how was crime for that anyway?

At the time, I thought giving Brazil the 2016 games was quite premature. Hopefully I'll be wrong. I mean, if South Africa could do the World Cup... how was crime for that anyway?

Well, they have had the winter Olympics in Sarajevo before so why not? I dont think it could get any more weird than Berlin in the 30s right?

At least it's safer than it used to be. There's going to be a lot less crime in the future, as Lula's Party has stayed in power, and Lula has lifted millions out of poverty. These aren't exactly a common occurrence, anyway - Brazil hosted the World Cup in 1950, and it was fine.

Brazil wasn't fascist in the 1950s.

If only Jenson had a roll of tape handy.

It's nothing like New York City at any point of its existence, much less 30-50 years ago. While the odds of getting mugged were a bit higher back then, millions of people "hung around" every single day in no real fear of their lives, including me.

There were 3 serious incidents involving F1 team members in a matter of days, including an apparent kidnapping attempt involving automatic weapons. Nothing like this has certainly ever happened at an F1 race weekend before. The only race venue that even comes close are all the security problems associated with the Paris-Dakar rally which eventually caused it to be moved from Africa to South America.

Isn't Brazil the country where the football goalee was killed for accidentally kicking the ball in against his own team? (maybe I misremember the exact country).

Top Bottom