Is Out-Of-Control Street Crime Now Prevalent In Brazil?

São paulo em Rio are the most violent regions in Brazil (also the richest) but that is changing we got some of the world's best elite police, those units are cleaning the crime from Rio, from the expirience in Haiti we created the " peacekeeping police units", permanent strongholds inside the slums and as the police started riding IFVs (with water canons...) and black hawks, crime droped drasticaly. The newly elected president promissed spreading the Rio expirience to all country.

At the time, I thought giving Brazil the 2016 games was quite premature. Hopefully I'll be wrong. I mean, if South Africa could do the World Cup... how was crime for that anyway?
Some people mugged, nothing serious. But South Africa's organized crime scene plays in a different league than Brazil's.
Brazil hosted the World Cup in 1950, and it was fine.
The vibrant organized criminality of today doesn't date back to the 50's.

Based on a single visit, I can't say I felt terribly safe in Sao Paulo. But probably no worse than wandering around Glasgow or Moscow by myself after midnight.

Rio police and military staged a raid on "city's biggest drug gang" in an attempt to help clean up the city prior to the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics:

Brazil Military Says It Cornered Rio Drug Gangs

RIO DE JANEIRO — Police and Brazilian Army soldiers, struggling to take control of a second huge slum complex here, were fired on by drug gangs on Friday, but by nightfall they had managed to trap the traffickers inside, a military spokesman said.

Friday’s activity, at the Alemão complex of shantytowns, which is home to about 400,000 residents and considered by many to be the most violent of the city’s slums, is a response to the latest eruption of gang violence, which began Sunday, as well as an effort by the Brazilian authorities to show that they can secure the city well in advance of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games.

Rio’s secretary of public security, José Mariano Beltrame, told Brazilian news media that the latest violence was “retaliation” by gang members against an ambitious government program to control violence and “pacify” 13 of the more violent slums by invading, rooting out drug traffickers and installing a special community police force.

President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva of Brazil sent 800 army soldiers to the Alemão complex early Friday after police outposts in the city had come under fire from drug gang members. The death toll from the violence climbed to 41 on Friday, the police said, with nearly 100 cars and buses burned on major roadways, their passengers robbed and sometimes shot.

The deployment of soldiers indicated the government’s concern about the latest violence, analysts said, as well as its determination that Rio’s notorious gangs would not be allowed to prevail.

“It is not humanly possible that 99 percent continue to suffer in the hands of criminals,” Mr. da Silva said Friday at a news conference during a visit to Guiana. “Rio can be sure that the government will give all the help necessary.”

On Thursday, armored vehicles carrying police officers with assault rifles rolled over burning tires during an operation at Vila Cruzeiro, another gang-infested slum in the northern part of Rio. On Friday, the police declared they had “dominated” Vila Cruzeiro, although there were widespread reports that more than 100 gang members had escaped from the slum, prompting the deployment of the army troops.

Vila Cruzeiro residents were left in the dark after electrical wires were destroyed during Thursday’s police activity, and many, fearing future violence, refused to go home. Bullet holes scarred walls and homes, and Special Police Operations Battalion officers searched cars and pedestrians at entrances and exits.

“I have never seen an operation like this one before and I am scared and am going to leave this community with my mom and sister,” said Henrique Gonçalves, 18. “I can’t continue living like this.” A hospital near Vila Cruzeiro resembled a war zone clinic mobilized to treat victims wounded during the police operation. Among the victims was a 2-year-old girl shot in the arm by a stray bullet.

But panic has also affected residents throughout the city, and 132 schools have shut down, according to the city’s secretary of education. At the Alemão complex, residents said they feared “bloodshed” from an expected invasion by the police and soldiers in the coming days, but remained hopeful that living conditions would improve as a result.

“This is the largest operation I have seen in Complexo do Alemão,” said Rosineide Rodrigues de Lima, 39, a telephone operator. “I fear for my life and my daughter, who is in there right now, but this is the price we have to pay to have a better life in the long term.”

Rio’s governor, Sérgio Cabral, said during a news conference on Friday that the police and soldiers were in position to invade but were waiting for a “strategic moment to act.”

http://www.smh.com.au/world/military-ousts-drug-gangs-in-battle-for-rio-ghetto-20101129-18e1a.html

IN A decisive military sweep, security forces have seized control of Rio de Janeiro's most notorious slum, claiming victory in a week-long battle against drug gangs that claimed dozens of lives.

By early Sunday afternoon military police had raised the flags of Brazil and Rio atop a building on the highest hill in the Alemao shantytown complex, providing a rare moment of celebration in a decades-long battle to rid the city's violent slums of drug gangs.

An air of calm and relief swept through the neighbourhood, and dozens of children ran from their houses in shorts and bikinis to plunge into a swimming pool that had belonged to a gang leader, even as the police searched for drugs one floor below.

Residents congregated around televisions in bars and restaurants, cheering on the police even as occasional gunfire peppered the sunny skies.

''Now the community is ours,'' Jovelino Ferreira, a 60-year-old pastor, said, his eyes filling with tears. ''We have to have faith.''

Drug gangs have contributed heavily to giving Rio one of the highest murder rates in the world. For the past two years the government has carried out an ambitious campaign to pacify the most violent slums and regain control of the city ahead of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games. Police have since wrested more than three dozen communities from criminal gangs, installing special community police forces there.

As those areas were cleared, some gang members fled to Alemao, a violent, sprawling slum complex with some 100,000 residents that the city's police chief, Jose Mariano Beltrame, called ''the heart of evil''.

In the past week 42 people have been killed in fighting between gangs and security forces, though police refuse to say if any of their officers have died.

On Sunday authorities unleashed 2600 police and soldiers, aided by tanks and personnel carriers. More than 15 armoured vehicles blocked 80 entrances to the neighbourhood.

''Today we are assured of the state's victory,'' said Commander Mario Sergio Duarte of the military police, who led the operation.

Of course. Once fascism came to Brazil, it was only a matter of time until it received its Kristallnacht.

The only time I saw that kind of heavily armed police/military response in the US was when I was playing Grand Theft Auto.

Ah, but I was age 2 at the time. ;)

Hardly the type to pick up the newspaper and start reading.

''Today we are assured of the state's victory,'' said Commander Mario Sergio Duarte of the military police, who led the operation.

It's not as if it was ever in doubt.

They certainly haven't had much luck doing so until recently.

States always win against petty internal troublemakers, and these criminals, despite their megalomania, are never anything more that than. Their resources are pathetic compared to what any state can mobilize, and their capacity to attract support is limited by their predatory nature. To have even a faint chance of challenging a state they'd have to at least develop some kind of ideology and move beyond simple crime.

The colombians could crush their drug lords (and partly did so), so could the mexicans, and so can the brazilians, etc. What happens is that states are often unwilling to do it, for various local reasons. But when some of these groups makes the mistake of "declaring war" on the state, it does get crushed. Btw, I expect a similar outcome in Mexico, once the government there decides that things have gone too far and gets its act together.

The final missions in San Andreas were based off the '92 Riots.
And they were awesome...so long as you'd already finished the gang wars first.

Based on a single visit, I can't say I felt terribly safe in Sao Paulo. But probably no worse than wandering around Glasgow or Moscow by myself after midnight.
Erm, no. However much as Glasgow can be a violent place, the people there don't have loaded assault rifles to defend their fortresses.
The only time I saw that kind of heavily armed police/military response in the US was when I was playing Grand Theft Auto.
Pwnt, I'd say. But the LA riots were not 'organised crime' as such, not like this.
States always win against petty internal troublemakers, and these criminals, despite their megalomania, are never anything more that than. Their resources are pathetic compared to what any state can mobilize, and their capacity to attract support is limited by their predatory nature. To have even a faint chance of challenging a state they'd have to at least develop some kind of ideology and move beyond simple crime.

The colombians could crush their drug lords (and partly did so), so could the mexicans, and so can the brazilians, etc. What happens is that states are often unwilling to do it, for various local reasons. But when some of these groups makes the mistake of "declaring war" on the state, it does get crushed. Btw, I expect a similar outcome in Mexico, once the government there decides that things have gone too far and gets its act together.
Oh really? Then what about FARC? ELN? Did the US-backed dictatorship in Argentina really defeat Montoneros and the rest of Peronism?

Top Bottom