ISDG 2012 - Server Announcements, Connection Issues and Questions

Must have been a short internet outage from my ISP. Everything's working now it seems though :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I have briefly taken down the ISDG and the Double Move test game. My Internet connection was on nearly 100% usage for outgoing traffic (and has been for over a day now), and there was no players connected. The IP addresses the server reported sending data to was located in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic. I will be monitoring this after restarting the games now from the savegame I did, so be prepared for more takedowns if this continues.

DaveShack (and other hosts): Have you ever encountered anything like this, where a Pitboss sends off 15 MB of data to a single IP address in less than 5 minutes? When the savegame is currently around 150 KB, it sounds absurd to put it mildly.

If nobody knows what this is and what may be causing it I may have to try to blacklist the IPs that are receiving all that data in my firewall. This may cause connectivity problems for some of you, if the IP addresses in question belongs to you. But in that case we will be able to take a look at what the issue may be.

Edit: Both games are back up and running, but as I said, I will be monitoring this situation as 100% of my internet connection in usage 24/7 obviously means something is wrong.

Yes, I had that happen and it went away once the pitboss was recycled. I may have rebooted as well, just to be sure. I think it happens when a player is disconnected during loading the save file in a way that the pitboss does not realize the connection is actually broken, so it just keeps resending the "missing" packets of save.

I've had the same experience Dave describes, at least in the sense that it seems to be generated by people disconnecting wrong and is fixed by restarting the client. I've never had anything like 100% bandwidth used, but I have 35/mb upload bandwidth so that may help.

In the game I host the etiquette is to make sure when disconnecting to exit to main menu, not the desktop, and not via alt-f4 or similar. That seems to minimize/eliminate the problem.

I have briefly taken down the ISDG and the Double Move test game. My Internet connection was on nearly 100% usage for outgoing traffic (and has been for over a day now), and there was no players connected. The IP addresses the server reported sending data to was located in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic.
Just now I am seeing this and because as far as I know no one else from Bulgaria is playing in any of those two games, I might be responsible for part of the problem. Absolutely unintentionally of course as I always leave the game via "Exit to main menu" :). There might be 2 components of the problem on my side. I was on vacation and I was using a public wifi with a laptop in one bar, so I cant tell how well this impacts the connection. And the other possible reason is that unexpectedly I was in the wrong part of the timer when logging in the Test Game, so the mod just threw me out after connected to the game and after loading the save game has been completed.

Just now I am seeing this and because as far as I know no one else from Bulgaria is playing in any of those two games, I might be responsible for part of the problem. Absolutely unintentionally of course as I always leave the game via "Exit to main menu" :). There might be 2 components of the problem on my side. I was on vacation and I was using a public wifi with a laptop in one bar, so I cant tell how well this impacts the connection. And the other possible reason is that unexpectedly I was in the wrong part of the timer when logging in the Test Game, so the mod just threw me out after connected to the game and after loading the save game has been completed.

I never meant to place any blame, 2metra. I was just worried about what the issue might be. And thanks to Dave and sunrise I now know that this may happen and that a quick save/reload fixes it. :)

Also, for the record, there will be some downtime sometime tonight for all hosted games to install server updates. I estimate it may take 30-60 minutes. I will post here in the thread again a few minutes before taking the servers down, and then again when everything is back up and running.

I had to emergency shutdown everything due to another thunderstorm. The season for them is nearly over now though, so shouldn't be too many more takedowns due to this kind of weather. I managed to save all games before shutting the server down. :)

All games back up. If they disappear during the next 8-10 hours without prior notice, it's because of more bad weather while I'm asleep.

I had to reload the game as someone has forgotten to use Exit to Main Menu again, leaving my internet connection at 100% usage outgoing.

All games are down. I really thought the thunder season was done, but lo and behold, there's a thunderstorm in september. Very uncommon here.

I had to kick you from one of the games, 2metraninja, and I'm really sorry about that. But I don't dare risking the computer, as I can't afford to buy a new one, and it is the only computer I can use for hosting the games at the moment. :)

All games are back up. Enjoy! :)

I did a brief shutdown and reload today, as the PB was sending off endless data to some random IP again. Everything is back up and running :)

While connected to the game, I got a message that my computer had lost the connection to the Pitboss server, and dumped me back to the main menu. Civstats now report me as still logged into the game, and I can't connect back to the game.

Top Bottom