Merging BTS Modcomps

Multiple Production merged. That's probably the last one before 1.7's release.

Also, added a few other things to the first post.

I'm ready to download the latest version as soon as you post it's ready for consumer use:D

Which should be in a few hours. :D

I'm ready to upload them, but I don't have the time right now to go edit everything.

I have a question about one of the tags that has been added.

This is from the Civ4UnitSchema.xml

Code:
		<element type="bTroopTransport" minOccurs="0"/>
		<element type="UnitCombatAttackMods" minOccurs="0"/>
		<element type="UnitCombatDefenseMods" minOccurs="0"/>
What exactly does this enable a unit to do, does it enable the units that have this tag to capture planets or to carry troop units or something else?

I have a question about one of the tags that has been added.

This is from the Civ4UnitSchema.xml

Code:
		<element type="bTroopTransport" minOccurs="0"/>
		<element type="UnitCombatAttackMods" minOccurs="0"/>
		<element type="UnitCombatDefenseMods" minOccurs="0"/>
What exactly does this enable a unit to do, does it enable the units that have this tag to capture planets or to carry troop units or something else?

Oops. Forgot about updating the modder's guide.

bTroopTransport only takes effect with the Troop Transports gameoption on, and yes, it enables the unit to capture a planet. Nothing else-yet, anyway.

Is anyone working on merging in the Air Combat Experience mod? If not, I'll take it on; as soon as I saw it, I craved it, but I didn't want to duplicate work being done by someone else.

Never mind; I got bored and merged it myself. Everything seems to work, though I've only put in ~1 hour of testing so far. Do you guys take patches, and if so how?

Everything seems to work as designed: you get prestige for bombarding enemies and routes. It's not a large effect, though; you only get half xp if the target survived, so in practice your pilots only get xp from killing things, attacking stronger enemies, and blowing up routes. That's good game balance IMO - bombarbment isn't risky, so you shouldn't get a large reward.

There's just one weird case: weak squadrons attacking strong enemies get lots of xp per attack. I used to hate pirate battleships, but in my latest game I came to view them as delightful xp pinatas. This also gave me a weird incentive to leave my squadrons unupgraded; pilots learn faster in crappier equipment.

Definitely enjoying it though, enough to make up for having to build with vc++ 2003. Is anyone working on autofire?

I would love to have Air Combat Experience as part of the B5 mod but I've noticed that the Lead from Behind doesn't appear to be working correctly and would want this working correctly before I added anything else..
As I understand it Lead From Behind should protect the more experienced units when defending by using the least experienced units to defend first. This doesn't appear to be happening as the first unit to defend seems to be the most experienced unit first and it works its way down to the least experienced unit last. One test game I played I had a defence unit with 80+ xp and the 5 other units still had the 5 xp they started with. As I don't know enough about Python/C++ I have no idea where to look to change/fix this.

Lead from behind only chooses a weaker unit when the odds of the stronger unit surviving are poor. In order to protect stronger units from being destroyed in such a case, it selects some weak unit to sacrifice.

From the LfB thread:
Changes in this mod:

-Best Defender code is modified to use the actual combat odds to determine the best defender. It also evaluates the value of a unit and uses that to 'adjust' the odds to come up with a defender ranking (making them more likely to defend if they have an excellent chance of winning - less likely otherwise). The amount of the adjustment depends on the value of the unit.

-Likewise, the Best Attacker code uses combat odds and adjusts based on value.

-Some speed improvements to combat in general, and combat odds in particular. Most notably, use of a cache to store partial combat odds to reduce the computations needed. Even with the use of combat odds, stack combat (1 large stack attacking another large stack) now takes roughly half the time.

Edit: one of the main effects of this in regular BtS is that a unit with a great general attached is given a higher value and is therefore less likely to defend unless their chances of winning are very high. This may become relevant in the future since I'd like to get Great Generals back into the game (probably called Great Admirals).

My concerns with the Air Combat Experience mod are two things:

Units (weak or not) getting buckets of experience for attacking things when there is exactly 0 chance that they will fail. This is purely free experience - you might as well not do this part of the merge and just give all squadrons a bunch of extra free prestige points and it would have a similar effect. At the very least I'd suggest that they should never get more than 1 for any of the added sources, and 0 for a lot of risk-free attacks (or at least some maximum you can get to with those, like once you get to 10 you can't get more unless there is some chance it will be intercepted).

The other general concern is simply the amount of experience vs. the number of promotions available. There are not very many promotions a squadron can take. For fighters the list is 3 weapon upgrades, 2 range increases, 2 interception upgrades, and the Ace promotion for a total of 8, and for bombers it is one more since they can't get the 2 interception upgrades but can take the 3 computer upgrades (and for Q-Squadrons, if the game lasts long enough for you to actually get them, the total is a bit higher since they can take both the interception and computer upgrades). The other 3 part upgrades the squadrons can get are all given for free when they become available. This is not a huge problem since getting 8 promotions takes 65 prestige points, but extra prestige points would tend to eliminate the specialization that now tends to happen: some fighters are designated defenders and get the interception upgrades first, others are attackers and get the weapon upgrades first, and a few get the range upgrades first just to be able to reach more targets and do recon farther out.

To your second point, all I can say is that it hasn't been a problem so far. Even the Brotherhood, with their crazy starting bonus, can't seem to max out a Bomber squadron in a reasonable timeframe. You could probably manage it by farming a Starbase, bombarding it a little and then letting it recover.

Which brings us to your first point. I could definitely see limiting it to 1 xp per kill and 1 xp per interception - on both sides. "1 xp per kill and 1 xp per Destroyer" is more or less how it works now, modulo strange cases like Battleships and Starbases. In particular, it seems really bad to give XP for destroying warp lanes, as happens by default.

Hi all
I've found another ModComp I'd like to see included in the FF+ Mod.

Unique Civics

Hope this one is do-able!

Also, from Peps Unit Orders ModComp I'd like this button added.

New mission button: "Go To and Sentry" (Hotkey: X). Orders the active land or naval unit to move to a destination. The movement ends before reaching the destination if an enemy unit of the same type (land or naval) is within the visibility radius. Note: This order can´t be selected (and the action button remains invisible) if a enemy unit is already in the visibility range.

Top Bottom