Monstrous Creatures

I've added a changelog to the OP, showing what I've done so far. I intend to update it several times a day as I approach release.

Unfortunately, some bad news. This module WILL break saves. It seems that adding new promotions causes an instant MAF on attempting to load an old save, even if done by module.

I've added a changelog to the OP, showing what I've done so far. I intend to update it several times a day as I approach release.

Unfortunately, some bad news. This module WILL break saves. It seems that adding new promotions causes an instant MAF on attempting to load an old save, even if done by module.

You creative bastard...

Who thinks it would be a good idea to give Hero to dragons?

I've noticed that quite a lot of the larger things are missing it.
Levelling up dragons especially is kind of a drudge, because they hardly get any xp due to having 99.9% odds on every battle. But they do still need to learn drill promos, to make them harder to overwhelm with cannon fodder.

I'm going to give Hero to Meshabber. Should I give it to dragons too? y/n ?

I think that it would be better to give dragons Flying, Blitz, and Immune to Disease than Hero, but I guess they could gain that too.

I'm giving them flying, certainly. And Immune to disease ie essential, since you can't cast cure disease on them. Can't believe I forgot that.
I think I'll modify the Dragon racial promo to add disease immunity to it, though.

Giving them free blitz is too much, I think. They're certainly capable of learning it if they invest 5 levels in the drill path. And considering their vast strength, Combat promotions aren't really needed for a dragon, so they need something to spend the levels on.

The Collateral Damage I'm adding to Monstrous Creature should mostly solve the issue of huge dragons killing one puny soldier per turn. I'm perhaps thinking of having it with no damage limit, so they can essentially kill multiple units per attack.

A promotion can only give a unit immunity to 2 other promotions. In my version I wanted dragons to be immune to Disease, Plague, Withered, and Poisoned, so I gave them Immune to Disease and made Dragon give immunity to the other 2. They would loose Poisoned anyway once back to full strength, but Withered is as hard to remove as Plagued and frankly I find needing more xp to level up a bigger problem than a larger combat penalty, at least for a unit with base strength so high. Dragons may not be effected by the Wither spell, but they are quite vulnerable to getting the promotion from a Wraith's or an Angel of Death's Vile Touch promotion unless they have a promotion that blocks it.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I believe FF changed it so that a promotion can block an arbitrary number of other promotions, so this doesn't really matter. I haven't made an FF version of my modmod in a long time, since there is a lot of content I don't really want but haven't had the time to remove.

Cool idea's1! :goodjob: Reminds me how they treat Monstrous Creature's in Warhammer 40k (tabletop).

Could Monstrous creature's wade into 'coastal' water only and attack at half strength?

Hyborem & Basium get Sentry1. Is this due to their bigger size they can see +1, or something godly? I would be interested in their actual dimension's.

Hyborem has wing's yet can't fly. Are these wing's merely aesthetic?

I agree Monstrous creature's should have no limit on their collateral damage.

Give elemental strength to all dragons:
-Acheron: 25 + 10 Fire
-Abashi: 30 + 5 Unholy +5 Poison
-Eurabatres: 35 + 5 Holy + 5 Fire + 5 Poison
-Cuatlan (sp?): 18 + 5 Poison
-Drifa: 25 + 10 Cold

Give elemental strength to all dragons:
-Acheron: 25 + 10 Fire
-Abashi: 30 + 5 Unholy +5 Poison
-Eurabatres: 35 + 5 Holy + 5 Fire + 5 Poison
-Cuatlan (sp?): 18 + 5 Poison
-Drifa: 25 + 10 Cold

Why?

I ca understand about fire, perhaps. but where does poison come into it? What does the gold dragon have to do with poison.

Elemental damage types tend to make the unit weaker, by allowing the damage to be resisted.

Drifa has a portion of cold strength, and I'll keep that. but the other dragons don't really seem to have any particular elemental affinity.

Id say give Coatlynn at least 25 or closer to 30 strength total. And wouldnt it be better, if Abashi and drifa are 40, to have Eurabatres at 45 instead of 50?

I dont mind the elemental damage, just remove the poison strength altogether and it will prolly balance out :) or change Abashi poison to unholy and Eurabatres poison to holy.

-I dont think holy can be resisted unless magic immune
(I guess its possible to give them the hero promos. I would prefer a weaker version that maxes at 26 or 50 exp though)

A promotion can only give a unit immunity to 2 other promotions. In my version I wanted dragons to be immune to Disease, Plague, Withered, and Poisoned, so I gave them Immune to Disease and made Dragon give immunity to the other 2. They would loose Poisoned anyway once back to full strength, but Withered is as hard to remove as Plagued and frankly I find needing more xp to level up a bigger problem than a larger combat penalty, at least for a unit with base strength so high. Dragons may not be effected by the Wither spell, but they are quite vulnerable to getting the promotion from a Wraith's or an Angel of Death's Vile Touch promotion unless they have a promotion that blocks it.

While looking into the xml, I've discovered that Immunity to Diseased, Plagued, Poisoned, Withered, and Blackblood are already included in the Magic Immune promotion, which dragons naturally get.

perhaps it was a recent change?

Id say give Coatlynn at least 25 or closer to 30 strength total. And wouldnt it be better, if Abashi and drifa are 40, to have Eurabatres at 45 instead of 50?

I'm actually contemplating leaving Coatlann's strength as is. Possibly giving him more movement and/or first strikes, to compensate. Like a smaller, faster dragon.

he is only a lesser dragon, after all. Not really a full one.
Do you think it needs to be higher?

Added my progress on the mythril golem to the OP.

What does everyone think about making some things bigger, visually?
I believe I can tweak the model scale in the artdefine.

Increasing Mother's scale gives a suitably epic feel :)

Why?

I ca understand about fire, perhaps. but where does poison come into it? What does the gold dragon have to do with poison.

Elemental damage types tend to make the unit weaker, by allowing the damage to be resisted.

Drifa has a portion of cold strength, and I'll keep that. but the other dragons don't really seem to have any particular elemental affinity.

Posion seems like a pretty good type to represent acid breath, and Eurabatres's entry specifically mentions him breathing both flames and acid. I believe Abashi breaths toxic fumes.

I'm pretty sure that only the elemental portion of the strength is weakened by resistance, so it shouldn't make them weaker overall.

While looking into the xml, I've discovered that Immunity to Diseased, Plagued, Poisoned, Withered, and Blackblood are already included in the Magic Immune promotion, which dragons naturally get.

perhaps it was a recent change?

I guess. It certainly isn't like that in normal FfH.

She takes up parts of 9 tiles already - how big do you want her? :D

Try a scale of 1.0
it's incredible, seriously.

Might not do it THAT big, but I did find myself wondering now and then "is that mother" when looking at a random giant spider. So I felt she wasn't big enough to be visually distinctive.

Ok, I'm thinking of redoing elephants in general, to be more like the picture I posted previously.

Raise their base strength (in the wild) to something like 16. Still defensive only
Change the prereq for turning them into War Elephants, to Animal Handling + Engineering.

Make War Elephants something like str 20, with Monstrous Creature. Also, War Elephants will be Unitcombat Beast, rather than Mounted.
Might make wild elephants like that too, but I don't want Animal Mastery to be required to capture them.

And of course, I'll drastically increase the model strength appropriately.

Talk about spamming 5 xp rangers at elephants to weaken them but ensure that it doesn't die. But I like strong elephants.

What's the news with animals' strength spontaneously increasing?

Top Bottom