Monstrous Creatures

Well, a dragon-lance mod where more civs get Dragons near the end may be a good thing. I disagree about poison damage tho as that is too easily resisted, although for extra dragons I guess they don't really need to be *all* that powerful

I agree, as the dragonlance dragons weren't all equally powerful either. A red or gold dragon would have very likely killed a green or copper one.

Thus, poison would be acceptable as a substitute for acid breath, as they're is no mechanism to represent acid in FF as far as I know.

Aye. I think the orcs should get a small, poisonous dragon.

I meant the Clan of Embers. And im not sure exactly who should get the dragons in any kind of Dragonlance mod, but I think it would be cool to have more dragons :)

I like this in theory, but as a consistent Grigori player I have a question: don't the significant powerups of the Dragon base strengths greatly reduce the effectiveness of the Dragon Slaying promotion?

That is one of the main point of the Dragon Slayer as opposed to other champions: they're supposed to be significantly better at fighting those dragons than other units. And while they do start with the promotion, the higher the base strength of the Dragons over the effective strength of the attackers, the less it matters. Sort of like when a warrior with combat 1 and 2 attacks a tier three unit: it rarely does much more than a regular warrior.

If you have to build such a large stack of doom of units anyway, building an extra unit for every four isn't a real effect: you almost certainly have the economy of scale to do it already regardless of who you are.

I guess what I'm saying is: shouldn't the Dragon Slaying promotion be upped in effectiveness, or should some anti-monstrous promotion also be made available?

I often double the strength of the dragons, and so also double the effect of the Dragon Slaying promotion. I also often give Dragon Slaying a Bonus against UNITCOMBAT_BEAST.

Looking back a bit, increasing the strength is all but demanded. Dragon Slayers have a innate +40% against Dragons, but Monstrous they already get a +25% against melee, which matches even the best weapon strength increase.

With Mithril, a dragon slayer has a base strength 10. With a +40% strength against Dragons, it has base strength of 14, or +4. You get it combat 1-5, it has +140%, or 24. A nice, respectable number.

Coatlann the Wyvern, the weakest of the dragons with a base strength of 20 and a +25% against Melee also has a +4, for 24. No other promotions. A fresh-off-the-line Coatlann not only has the same strength as a full combat-line promoted Dragon Slayer, it has built-in first strikes.

Now, that's fair enough for a real dragon: a stack of Dragon Slayers is appropriate, albeit it should be a much smaller stack than any other nation's champions. (Built-in-courage helps.)

But Catlann is one of the weakest Monstrous creatures. Eurabatres, with a base strength of 50, gets 12.5 strength advantage against a Dragon Slayer. That's more strength than an Iron-weilding dragonslayer starts with, and that's all bonus.

Now, for most other Melee line, I could sort of understand this. You're supposed to focus on archers and seige weapons to take these down. Cool, I rarely see the point of going down the archery line very far.

But these are Dragon Slayers. As in, their job title is supposed to be what they do best. They're not 'merely' supposed to be better than other Melee in a one-sided annihalation, they're supposed to be super effective in their trade. Better than archers or catapults even: these are supposed to be swordsmen who can climb into a Dragon's own lair, challenge the dragon, and have a real chance to win.

Dragon Slayer promotion might need a tune up, sure, but there needs to be more than that. Dragon Slayers at the very least definitely need to be retrofitted to be good against Monstrous Creatures.

You've convinced me. :goodjob:

I'll up their bonus in the next version of FFPlus (Should be a week or so away, I think, so long as the FF patch comes out soon).

Can't say whether or not Warkirby will do the same in the original version of Monstrous Creatures, but I don't know if it even works with 051 anymore.

More dragons = good IMHO.

I haven't tested MC recently, I think it will still work 90%, only button art will not work because trhe file structure has changed. I'll look into updating it soon

somehow I find this conversation amusing ... but I won't directly say why :3

I know it's a old thread but I wanted to download it.The download link doesn't work at all.

Yes I tried RiFE out a couple of times but it ALWAYS CtD-s constantly between turn 300-350 +-25 turns and at one point it won't let me play any further.I can tell you that I never gor to turn 380 not to speak of actually winning a game.

Yes I tried RiFE out a couple of times but it ALWAYS CtD-s constantly between turn 300-350 +-25 turns and at one point it won't let me play any further.I can tell you that I never gor to turn 380 not to speak of actually winning a game.

Stability has been much improved for the next version. As well as speed. Just need to find time between papers to finish up the barb system. ;)

Top Bottom