New Civ look Poland

Straight from Wikipedia:

"Her crowning either reflected the Polish lords' opposition to her intended future husband, William, adopting the royal title without a further Act or only emphasized that she was a queen regnant."

But no, one might wel argue that being crowned queen is better (assuming the titles are equal), for that means the country at least allows women to serve in this role. I mean, you cannot argue that it is an achievement for a woman to be crowned king.

Ok yes fair point. I had thought she had achieved what Hapshepsut and Wu Zetian had achieved re being crowed in masculine.

One thing I like about Civ VI vs. Civ V is that each civilization is more unique because they have more abilities. So I don't think there's a problem with Poland getting too much stuff, maybe, if it is OP, just in tweaking what they get rather than the amount of what they get. I wish every civ got even a few more things to make them all few really unique.

Agreed - I would love to see each civs abilities be strengthed/ made more unique even more. My only quibble with Poland is that the abilities are a tad going off in different directions (lack a unifying theme)

But no, one might wel argue that being crowned queen is better (assuming the titles are equal), for that means the country at least allows women to serve in this role. I mean, you cannot argue that it is an achievement for a woman to be crowned king.
It's sort of like arguing that Joan & the Blackhearts deserve a place in rock-n'-roll history because Jett experienced success in a male-dominated industry. Set aside whether any fantastic songs were released or if we're talking about a great singer or guitarist.

As a sharp contrast, you have a band like Heart, which was experimental and ambitious in its heyday and had some of the best vocal and instrumental performances in rock, and just happened to be fronted by women.

Firaxis, OTOH, thinks every Banana Rama or TLC should be a Hall-of-Famer.

Last edited:
One thing I like about Civ VI vs. Civ V is that each civilization is more unique because they have more abilities. So I don't think there's a problem with Poland getting too much stuff, maybe, if it is OP, just in tweaking what they get rather than the amount of what they get. I wish every civ got even a few more things to make them all few really unique.
Well, it's overkill relative to other civ's perhaps. All civ's are not equal, to be sure.

Then again, I think the value of the culture-bombing is perhaps being overblown here. You have to be settled next to someone *and* build an encampment or fort, and it doesn't steal districts.

I do feel like the bonus to relics is pretty much gratuitous, but again it's not like you can just bang out relics on demand. One wonder aside, it's not that easy to load up on them.

Last edited:
Oh my, Jadwiga is very cute and seems quite sassy :>

Actually, it's not that hard to have 2 Temples as Poland, given that they have good bonuses to religion. Give Apostles the Martyr ability, either via normal (or Yerevan-boosted) promotions, or Mont St. Michel to fully enjoy the Relic bonus. It's another contender for the Relic Cultural Victory, almost just as Kongo (except you now get to found your religion with Reliquaries in exchange for those Relic Slots).
Another thing that makes Divine Right important (imo) is that the Monarchy gov't comes from that civic. I don't usually even get more than one temple, but Monarchy is my go-to gov't for that age.

Agreed - I would love to see each civs abilities be strengthed/ made more unique even more. My only quibble with Poland is that the abilities are a tad going off in different directions (lack a unifying theme)
I've posted the same question but for Egypt. Funny enough, even though both lack a unifying theme, Egypt's bonuses seem far lackluster compared to Poland's.

Jadwiga looks almost nothing like the historical Jadwiga, though her robe is clearly inspired by this painting:

Spoiler :

Poland seems powerful, though their bonuses are so numerous that it's hard to keep track of them all. Boosts to production/gold/faith are rather dull, though, and I would have preferred more strange/unique bonuses (though arguably their culture bomb is one).

Jadwiga looks almost nothing like the historical Jadwiga, though her robe is clearly inspired by this painting:
[...]

She was based on this (and I guess it's more similar to her in-game looking - the crown, the staff, the face and the belt at least):

Some very nice ideas! I particularly enjoy your categorization of Stonehenge as being a Chinese unique since it almost always does belong to them :D

Thank you :) Yes Stonehenge is not guaranteed for China, someone could certainly chop it first, but China has the most reason to leverage their bonus. Last time I did the math, China gets about 5 hammers back for every hammer they put into builders when it comes to rushing wonders. Quite the ROI!

Actually, it's not that hard to have 2 Temples as Poland, given that they have good bonuses to religion. Give Apostles the Martyr ability, either via normal (or Yerevan-boosted) promotions, or Mont St. Michel to fully enjoy the Relic bonus. It's another contender for the Relic Cultural Victory, almost just as Kongo (except you now get to found your religion with Reliquaries in exchange for those Relic Slots).

It's not that it's hard to have 2 Temples (and it's fully in your own control), it's that building a 2nd Holy Site means another district you aren't building - a Campus, Commercial Hub, Encampment or Industrial Zone, etc. Add on top of that a 2nd shrine and 2nd temple which in most cases are unnecessary and somewhat dangerous if your opponent uses that same production on another archer, swordsman, and encampment etc. I might build the 2nd Holy Site to make it faster (since more faith to pursue a religious victory or later on buy units is of course not anti-synergetic), or I might just suffer through hard-teching it, especially if I'm leaning towards a military victory. Certainly getting the Monarchy government will be nice. My main point is that the timing for Winged Hussars is going to be rather slow; it's not like beelining Mamluks or Cossacks relative to their competitors (crossbowman/field cannons).

You don't need to run all your trade routes from new cities, just 2-3 per new city should be enough. Use the remaining ones to boost Winged Hussar production in your core cities and get the gold to maintain them (and buy more).

Good point, there is room for balance - not every trade route absolutely needs the bonus +4 gold right from the start. If you are building a Commercial Hub and however you spell that city first thing in every new city the amount of time where you are forgoing leveraging your bonus may not be terribly long.

Then again, I think the value of the culture-bombing is perhaps being overblown here. You have to be settled next to someone *and* build an encampment or fort, and it doesn't steal districts.

I do feel like the bonus to relics is pretty much gratuitous, but again it's not like you can just bang out relics on demand. One wonder aside, it's not that easy to load up on them.

It's less-so the stealing of tiles that make it so important as the automatic religious conversion, in my opinion. Stealing tiles with something like Defender of Faith definitely makes it easy to win a war of attrition (firing upon their city from your own territory with a +10 bonus, ouch) but it's not like stealing some hills just for their yield is going to change much. Or even if you aren't trying to take their city but are using the +25%/+50% religious spread belief (Scripture), it will super-charge your spread. And the thing is, you can control this - unless their military crushes you, you will always be able to forward-settle them and build an encampment or fort.

I don't count the relic bonus for much because getting them is such a random and uncontrollable event 95% of the time, especially in multiplayer where I've never witnessed Theological Combat.

I'm sure I've probably missed this somewhere, but what is the name of the Polish song used as the basis for their theme?

And probably 99,99% of Poles have never heard about it. Still themes are very good IMHO.

I will just leave this here, as tradition dictates:

Overall, Poland seems really strong, so I'll definitively enjoy playing as them.
Though, knowing how I play, I'll probably be too afraid to anger other leaders to make good use of Poland's land grabbing UA.

It saddens me to see that Poland's theme is not available as an MP3... :( I wish they had updated the OST with the new music files.

Last edited:
They are immune to culture bomb. Same for finished districts.

So, basically, you get tiles that you can switch between cities, right?.

I'm picturing this works as post-war land-grabbing (getting your frontier cities to use the tiles of enemy frontier cities before returning them, which results in you gaining that territory, even when returning the cities as part of the peace settlement). But, of course, you don't need to start a war. Poland looks to be a pain (or a lot of fun, depending on your side), when forward settling.... :)

Not so, if you remember what you payed for this beta turd to start with. The DLC crowd would pay $20, believe me.

I didn't pay 59.99 if that's what you thought.

I guess people got used to unreasonably priced DLC. I bought all my Civ V DLC whe it was 75% off on Steam and I'll probably do the same with VI.

Good for you. My brother even waited for the Gold Edition. Such a patient man. ;)

Overall, Poland seems really strong, so I'll definitively enjoy playing as them.
Though, knowing how I play, I'll probably be too afraid to anger other leaders to make good use of Poland's land grabbing UA.

It saddens me to see that Poland's theme is not available as an MP3... :( I wish they had updated the OST with the new music files.

Aha. I was hoping you would do the gif again. Thanks.

Thanks for this :3 could you also do a gif for Jadwiga at the end of the video?

Yeah let's put the whole team on releasing a DLC before christmas to milk another 5$/€ and let the obvious bugs persist...

In other news the scenario has the Turks with Janissaries! Shame they didn't just knock up a leaderhead and give us a full Ottoman civ! They're surely on their way, but it's a bit of a tease to have them in the scenario and nowhere else!

The Janissaires have their own model and symbol, for those that haven't seen them. While it was a given the Ottomans were coming, I think it is clear they are coming very soon with their UU already 100% done.

Top Bottom