New ROADS with various buildings

Overseas

Chieftain
Recently, I noticed a remarkable job done on this file :love: (roads.pcx), and found it might be enhanced with some various buildings... :p the result seems quite fresh and realistic at a glance, as shown in the next post.

Remark : DO NOT directly copy the display, as this is a collection of individual tiles examples.

The real file is linked here ... http://www.paris.web66.com/civ2/zip/roads.pcx ... and is to be pasted into Art/Terrain, as usual.

Attachments

• builtroads.gif
    builtroads.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 11,320
Now, I suppose a preview should satisfy most of you... :)

Here is a picture, composed out of two screen details :crazyeye: , showing how it displays during a real game.

Attachments

• builtpic.jpg
    builtpic.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11,850
I appreciate the work, but..... well..... you see, when a city has all of its squares filled with raods, there are no buildings, when, IMO, there should be a higher density of factories, barns and houses around the city...... or is this the old one you posted?

Thanx for the comment Neomega... I suppose and have estimated buildings will be displayed when roads comes and cross together, symbolizing the traffic rise.
A second advantage of this concept is you have to wait until roads are dense enough to get some buildings around, in accordance with the normal inhabitations development. Agree ? :)

well you see, I tested it out and, when the roads get really dense around a city, they actually lose buildings! And if you completely fill in a city radius with roads, there will be no buildings! Open your editor and try it.

Basically, I think you need to add more buildings in the dense cluster of roads.... unless perhaps your link is still downloading the old road files you had.

You definetely are RIGHT, when you precise "you completely fill in a city radius with roads, there will be no buildings !" :D
The reason is, in a previous version, I designed a certain style of barn to this tile, and the result was a huge proportion of the SAME building all around the cities ! :eek: Completely ridiculous and unrealistic !
That's the reason why I shared between numerous tiles, excepted this one. :scan:
Additional point : "when the roads get really dense around a city, they actually lose buildings". Maybe true aswell, as I distributed the buildings throught various tiles in a kind of "random" way, not to get them that easy to plan when roads come... and let the player have the surprise with different styles when rising ! :D

Last note: this is the last file version

Ahh I see.... Well thank ya then, I plan on using this bad boy..... ill give you credit in my glossy brochure :D .

You're right, but I personaly consider these kind of factories, if rising from ancient ages, are like bronze workshops, forges, sawmills or glassworks... we got some like these in the european Alpes mountains. :viking:

Can't be. Chimneys were a medieval invention (at least in Europe). Once you see one, it's obvious but first someone has to come up with the idea. Like stirrups.

However, all is not lost. They could be iron or bronze smeltery ovens in the Ancient Age. Or pillars for supporting deific images.

Mmm... how about moving the smokestack so that the goat resource icon comes to rest atop it? (The farm house already got this right: there the goat appears to be on the roof creating an idyllic Swiss alpine image.) :)

Originally posted by Pembroke
Can't be. Chimneys were a medieval invention (at least in Europe). Once you see one, it's obvious but first someone has to come up with the idea. Like stirrups.

However, all is not lost. They could be iron or bronze smeltery ovens in the Ancient Age. Or pillars for supporting deific images.

Mmm... how about moving the smokestack so that the goat resource icon comes to rest atop it? (The farm house already got this right: there the goat appears to be on the roof creating an idyllic Swiss alpine image.) :)

good point.... hmmm... maybe they are just tall pipes.

Wow, this is a really good idea. But how about if you put ancient/medieval buildings in roads and modern buildings in railroads that way you don't get the nuclear plant in ancient roads effect.
Also, won't the buildings in the center block stuff like resources and mines?
mod on :goodjob:

Looks pretty but won't these combined with mine graphics would look too much together?

I use this and gives ALOT of flava to my games. But I use Genghis' urban combat railroads and its really hard to make out anything. Is there a railroad mod out there thats similar to this? Not so much buildings.

Originally posted by rbelmont
I use this and gives ALOT of flava to my games. Is there a railroad mod out there thats similar to this? Not so much buildings.

Thanx a lot for your comments & opinions, it helps a lot to me... I am currently testing a "light" version of the actual crowded railroads.pcx file, including most of the low well-designed buildings (but not too many individual houses !), and certainly no skyscrapers. Even if they are extremely pleasant & realistic, sometimes you just wonder to see a little what's on the ground ! :D

As soon as correctly tested, I'll post a version here... :)

Top Bottom