[BTS] News: SGOTM 24 Sign-up Thread - Sitting Bull, Defender of the Trees

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM 24 Sign up Thread - Sitting Bull, Defender of the Trees

Sign up NOW for the next SGOTM, featuring a map created by Xhary, and administered by AlanH.

"They claim this mother of ours, the Earth, for their own use, and fence their neighbors away from her, and deface her with their buildings and their refuse." - Chief Sitting Bull

"When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught, the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money." - Native American saying

Its time for you and your team to inherit the native american spirit and show yourself as a true enviromentalist. To do so you must force the rest of the world to run Enviromentalism for 100 turns! You may use carrot, whip or UN. It's up to you. Since 100 turns is an awfully long time there is an option to reduce that number to a minimum of 1 turn. This is done by sparing as many trees as you can.

The rules
  • After you change to Enviromentalism you are not allowed to change back.
  • At your first turn of enviromentalism, you can reduce the number of turns required by 2 for each forest preserve you have on your starting land as defined by the start screenshot.
  • At your first turn of enviromentalism, you can further reduce the number of turns required by 1 for every five forest preserves you have on other lands within your borders.
  • On the turn when you win the game you must still have at least the same number of forest preserves (not neceesary on the same locations) on both starting land and total. If you fail to achieve this your team will be graded behind teams who succeeded in keeping all their forests. If you expect to lose some preserves during this time you must state this in a pm to the mapmaker.
  • To claim the number of turns you need to force the world to run enviromentalist you must upload your save at the turn when you switch to Environmentalism, and post screenshots in your team thread of the preserves that will be counted.
  • If you are not using the UN to convince the AI to run enviromentalist we might ask you to post proof (screenshots, saves etc) that everyone is forced to do so for all turns and does not change back to another civic.

Your starting area
Click for a full size image

Game Options
Rivals: 6 AIs both friends and foes of the nature.
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No vassal state, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings
Map: Modified fractal
Mapsize: Standard

Sitting Bull is Philosophical and Protective, and you start with Fishing and Agriculture.
The Philosophical trait gives +100% great people birth rate and double production speed of University

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

Unique unit: Dog Soldier (replaces Axeman)
The Dog Soldier benefits from: base strength = 4, requires access to nothing, and 100% combat bonus against melee units. This compares with the Axeman which has: base strength = 5, requires access to copper or iron, and 50% combat bonus against melee units.

Unique Building: Totem Pole (replaces Monument)
Besides the +1 culture/turn of the monument, the totem pole gives +3XP to archery units built in the city.

=================================

Timetable

The Pre-game Discussion Thread for this game is now open for business.

Please sign up in this thread by January 26th at the latest. To help us to assign players to teams, please indicate your preferred team, whether you have played previous SGOTMs or SGs, and the highest level of Civ4 difficulty you can typically win at. Don't be discouraged to sign up by this, we like to have new players as well.

The team discussion threads for this game will open on or before January 28th.

The team starting saves will be available here on February 1st.

In order to give you plenty of time to complete this game, the completion deadline will be May 31st. Plan your game, and please avoid a last minute struggle to meet the deadline.
Please be warned, except in the event of cosmic catastrophes. THERE WILL BE NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.

Notes
  • Versions
    This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the standard BUFFY-3.19.003 HoF mod, Unless stated otherwise in this thread before the game starts..
    If a later BtS patch is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in BtS version 3.19 before updating your copy of BtS, or you should create and update a separate copy. See also the note about Steam updates below.

Macintosh players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows software on their system.
  • Steam
    If you play BtS using Steam, then your BtS will auto-update to a new version which is incompatible with those playing the DVD version. You will therefore need to install the Steam "beta" version to play this game. You can check whether your copy of BtS is compatible by downloading a SGOTM 19 starting save. If it loads OK in your copy of BtS, then you are ready to play.
  • Rules and Procedures
    Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

Note, the usual GOTM restrictions apply: no replaying, no liberating cities to a civ you are at war with (except in peace deal), no subsidizing resource trades with AI, no goto mapping or flying camera, only 1 tech from Oracle/Liberalism.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Please sign up for this game as soon as possible by posting your own details in this thread. I shall update the draft team lists below during the sign-up period.

Please use the separate Pregame Discussion Thread for any non-sign-up questions or comments about this game. AlanH or Zhary will give definitive answers to detailed technical issues you raise.

Current Sign-up Lists
The table below will display your stated team preferences as I add you to the database. The number of players in each team is shown in brackets, as are non-playing advisers.

Last edited:
Sign me up - Unusual Suspects if we get a team together, otherwise unallocated.

Unusual Suspects, lots of SGOTM experience, usually win at Immortal, though it's been years since I played any Civ4 except SGOTM games.

I can't believe I'm signing up for another SGOTM. Last time I played, I got overwhelmed and had to drop out. Hopefully I can avoid that fate this time.

Thanks to kcd_swede for the heads up about this game :crazyeye:

Last edited:
I will start the new team "Dancing Bears" ;)

For those who might consider joining me..i like writing stories & taking plenty pics, and overall adding a bit of roleplay.
Hopefully a relaxing experience, but i can also offer some high level gameplay so it's not like this team could not win something.

Signing up. Lots of SGOTM experience with various teams over the years. Usually can win at Emperor. Was part of Unallocated (the team) last time, I guess put me in unallocated (the category) until we see who will be back and if we put the team together again.

MItchum's team. Or ZPV's team. Or Pollina's team. Or WT's team. Or BigPig's team. Or Gosha's team. Or whatever. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'd hate to see the SG die, so I'll play again. I doubt LC and I can get whole band back together. Should be fun getting to know some other players. Level of skill level doesn't matter to me. Level of fun and friendliness does. And best of all: people who will stick to it til the end.
I think Mitchum said he'd captain the ship again, but when you go to make teams, count him has more of an official lurker. We haven't gotten many turnsets of out him for years.

Hi fractals, welcome. I've added you as Unallocated. Are you prepared to tell us anything about yourself? Any previous experience or preferred team mates?

I do not know if I should join or not. I was not impressed with my contribution during the last one and it looks to me that I'm having less free time the next half a year.

Top Bottom