Orbis 1.0 Bug Thread

This may not exactly be the right place for this but I can't download the mod from filefront. Or rather, once the file is downloaded I can't use it. Filetype is listed as unknown file for some reason. Someone please help me, I've played this mod so now regular FFH2 just doesn't cut it!

This may not exactly be the right place for this but I can't download the mod from filefront. Or rather, once the file is downloaded I can't use it. Filetype is listed as unknown file for some reason. Someone please help me, I've played this mod so now regular FFH2 just doesn't cut it!

Rename the file from "OrbisSetup1.0[1]" to "OrbisSetup1.0[1].exe". This happened to me when I recently downloaded Orbis- for some reason the .exe has been cut from the file name.

(You'll need to do the same for the Media Pack, should you download it as well).

First id like to thank you guys for giving us an opportunity to play this fantastic mod. This somewhat... refreshed... Erebus(if you can call adding undead [finally!] into world refreshing).

I wanted to ask about two things, put it into bug section since i didnt found solution for the first one anyway.
screenie first
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1797/55255610.png

1. The fire spells like blaze and fireball are blanked out. Why?
2. Errors concerning the music. Where does the game take music from? Music from original civs is still played, any tips how to quickfix that?

[edit] ignore the second one, i simply forgot to download additional soundtrack...

1. The fire spells like blaze and fireball are blanked out. Why?
2. Errors concerning the music. Where does the game take music from? Music from original civs is still played, any tips how to quickfix that?

Blaze sets fire on forested tile, so it requires spellcaster to be on forested tile.
Fireball deals damage to enemy unit, so it requires enemy unit next to spellcaster :)

Dzieki Kalina :D

Fireball was 'summonnable' in FfH, you mean that its an attack spell in Orbis?

Dzieki Kalina :D

Fireball was 'summonnable' in FfH, you mean that its an attack spell in Orbis?

Yup, thats right.
And the music is in the separate "music pack" - sorry but I do not remember where you can get it

Yup, thats right.
And the music is in the separate "music pack" - sorry but I do not remember where you can get it

Thanks for the reply, tested out the fireball (this one from FfH was funnier thro :blush:). Also, i found the pack somewhere on civfanatics forum (by googling the error message). Still makes errors about Arcana songs, but heck :p

[edit]

Screenie of an Scion adept unit.
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8403/33788403.png
flubberflubber.

I've had two consecutive games now where Orbis has CTDed every time I try to load a game that's nearing the 300 turn mark. The latest one was a clean install of the Mod, patch, and quickfix. The crash text simply says something like "Microsoft Windows: Civ IV Beyond the Sword has stopped working". A save game is attached--any help would be very much appreciated. I'm loving your Mod otherwise!

View attachment Rob_the_Red Turn_0285.CivBeyondSwordSave

Having problems with...downloading Orbis Setup. What program should I use to open OrbisSetup1.exe?

Save file that crashes when trying to load. :(
Anyway to tell if it's a bug or just a memory issue?

Attachments

• OrbisTlac005.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 246
Does the current version of Orbis have any problems playing a succession game? I saw an earlier thread that claimed that it did. I can't imagine how, as this is just running in single player mode and sending the save to the next guy in line. Anyway, I'm trying to get a succession game going, so I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Having problems with...downloading Orbis Setup. What program should I use to open OrbisSetup1.exe?
just double click to run - you might have to rename it though. It was actually named OrbisSetup1.0.exe and my computer at least got confused by that and read it as OrbisSetup1.0 and didn't know how to deal with the ".0" extention. Renaming to OrbisSetup1.exe and double clicking worked though.

Hello Guys

Sorry for my long absence - and for informing of it being long beforehand. I believe the last message you got from me was that I am working on a patch.
That indeed was truth - but then I got much more work than I expected. Being field biologist has certain drawbacks during summer, and when work you like knocks on your door, it is hard to tell it to go away ;)
I am finally finishing filling all the paperwork with the results, so I am slowly starting to mod again. I really had to force myself not to do it earlier - and for that, I tried to avoid CivFanatics as well.

So, in short words, SORRY GUYS.

And now an opportunity to say that I am sorry again.
The reason is, my modding will probably not include further updating of Orbis. As I have mentioned, I planned to move to Civ5. I have it now, and want to try to make Orbis 2.

There is a small chance for Orbis 1 to be worked on again, though.
I am already quite frustrated by the fact, that Civ5 modding is designed with just small mods in mind. Ufortunatelly, that means that making a total conversion mod I am thinking of is much harder in Civ5 than it was in Civ4.
So, if I get frustrated enough, I might drop Civ5 and stick to Orbis 1.
But I want a new mod, which I designed from the start, plus Civ5, with all its bad designed elements, is a nice game. So, I give Orbis 1 just 5% chances, not more.

When I reach a conclusion, I will let you know. I hope it will be in form of a link to Orbis 2, or at least an information that it is quite advanced. Of course, it will take months or even years till it reaches the complexity of Orbis 1.

For now, I will try to drop here quite often to help as much as I can.
If anyone wants to prepare a patch in my absence, please do so. I will help how I can with my limited time, plus if I decide to come back, I will use what was done already.
Of course, the credit will be granted ;)

Why do you feel that it is designed for small mods?

The necessity of deleting assets for total conversions? If so... Use SQL. You can drop entire tables with a single line, no need for hundreds of 'delete' commands in XML. Can likely even just drop the entire database, but that would cause problems if you only want to change units/techs/buildings/civs (as in, game options, terrains, etc all stay the same; Typical setup).

Well, the built-in modular system seems like it would be more useful for small mods than for larger ones, even if that utility is equally valid for either standard mods or modmods of total conversions. But I suppose the bigger issue is that (as far as I'm aware) you have to load mods via the mod manager. Which means you can't mod the main menu screen (or disable that stupid stupid mod warning screen) without badgering the core game files, which is entirely undesirable. And you can't even work around that limitation by having separate installs for different mods due to Steam. (Which is just about the only valid anti-Steam argument that I can think of, and yet the paranoid anti-Steam scaremongering threads that existed before release never seemed to touch on it.)

Why do you feel that it is designed for small mods?
Well, it is very easy to do small changes. But for bigger mods, it is necessary to remove most of the database content, as it is forced on all mods and can't be simply overwritten.
Clearing the database, while in theory easy, proves some problems when I try to do it.

But I suppose the bigger issue is that (as far as I'm aware) you have to load mods via the mod manager.
Yes, that is a really big problem. To start a mod, you have first to load the standard game, then activate a mod and load it too (while the game is running, which can cause a lot of problems). Plus you can't mod the game looks, so no more fancy unique mod screens.

In short, I think Civ4 modding was better for big mods - though Civ5 certainly makes small changes a lot easier.

But, I think that is enough regarding my modding problems and Civ5 here. Orbis 1 is Civ4 mod after all.
But as I have started another thread in Civ5 modding section, we can continue the discussion there:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393381

Well, the built-in modular system seems like it would be more useful for small mods than for larger ones, even if that utility is equally valid for either standard mods or modmods of total conversions. But I suppose the bigger issue is that (as far as I'm aware) you have to load mods via the mod manager. Which means you can't mod the main menu screen (or disable that stupid stupid mod warning screen) without badgering the core game files, which is entirely undesirable. And you can't even work around that limitation by having separate installs for different mods due to Steam. (Which is just about the only valid anti-Steam argument that I can think of, and yet the paranoid anti-Steam scaremongering threads that existed before release never seemed to touch on it.)

Mods can add their own menu screens, within the mod menu. As of yet, only Dale has used it, for his WW2 scenarios (which I think were pulled out of the database due to a bug?), but it is quite possible to design your own menu.

You're right in that you can't mess with the default menu. And I hate that damn warning screen. Need to be allowed to disable it after seeing it once.

Well, it is very easy to do small changes. But for bigger mods, it is necessary to remove most of the database content, as it is forced on all mods and can't be simply overwritten.
Clearing the database, while in theory easy, proves some problems when I try to do it.

Yes, that is a really big problem. To start a mod, you have first to load the standard game, then activate a mod and load it too (while the game is running, which can cause a lot of problems). Plus you can't mod the game looks, so no more fancy unique mod screens.

In short, I think Civ4 modding was better for big mods - though Civ5 certainly makes small changes a lot easier.

But, I think that is enough regarding my modding problems and Civ5 here. Orbis 1 is Civ4 mod after all.
But as I have started another thread in Civ5 modding section, we can continue the discussion there:

The SQL command to drop a table is simply "DROP TABLE tablename;". I don't know that that is really difficult. There is also Delete, to remove individual entries, and truncate, to kill data without removing the object. How does it cause problems?

How does it cause problems to start the mod while the game is running?

And I'll stop discussing it here, mainly wanted to point out the custom menu. :lol:

He's ALIVE!

When you start making Orbis II I'll try to work on Cross-Platform Compatibility

Top Bottom