Pyre Zombies!!!

@avalonnn: destroy undead affects the whole stack, and pyre zombies are not immune but are resistant to fire.

In order of availability, I use cavalry/bronze warriors, catapults, and finally magic vs pyre zombies.

The trick is to use a deep defense approach, instead of static defense: don't try to eliminate the stack of pyre zombies right away. Weaken them with flanking cavalry/cats first, hold them off with Warriors as your cavalry heals or cats retreat, then finish them off.

This type of defense only works if you have a good stretch of cultural border, so sometimes I go as far as give up an undefendable city. It's better to just give it up and conserve units. Then you recapture the city on counterattack.

If you don't have cavalry, I think cats are essential. But next best thing would be bronze warriors in large quantities, since they defend cities better than Axemen. Unless you're Svart, Hunters by themselves aren't great vs PZ.

Yes. My wife had a city with Walls and four Gargoyles (str8). The AI declares war and moves three pyre zombies, three catapults, one hunter and one assassin in. Before they reach the city, she builds one more Gargoyle.

Five Str8 units within city walls becomes obliterated. Its scary powerful.

You cannot stand and defend as a stack against Pyre Zombies.

For Sidar now, Divided Souls should work as well and be the option of choice given the time they come into play. (Need some promotions to win the battles reliably first naturally. :) But it should be doable because xp-giving civics should be a focus anyways... :))

attack, sever, relocate, heal, back to step 1 (those can also relocate and heal at the same time and terrain doesn't matter for relocating out of reach. Granting them some kind of march right from the start. Speeded up if those combats grant a level-up / promotion or if you save some of those for the occasion.)

Also, they can finish some of them on defense (2-3 should be doable i guess) when you found a very interesting defensive spot (like a forested hill across a river.) and the stack is allready small enough to have it matter... (Works on stacks of cats as well naturally save for the defensive part.)

I think for those reasons they should be even better than mounted units by quite a margin.

Oh and last but not least you might get a few shades in the process to later reward you for your efforts. :p
Especially nice because you can build more Souls faster in anticipation for the next wave. Giving more Shades again. :D Bring on those Zombies. :D

They are not invisible (the original unit that is, it works just like a hunter does) like Ghosts can be.

They just can "summon" a unit (sever their souls from their bodies) for that turn which is invisible + flying with 2 moves in all and the ability to call the original "hunter" to its tile which deletes the severed soul. (If led by a summoner leader i guess those severed souls might stay as long as 3 Turns. Thus allowing for 6 free movement and scouting in various directions. Perhaps worthy to test with unrestricted leaders even though i don't use this option at all usually.)

So in effect it boils down to 2 free tiles of movement a turn (independently of terrain. Can't get the original unit called if its in a tile not able to be entered by it like peaks or a body of water. But can cross those with their 2 movement... :))

So those Divided Souls de-facto start with 4 movement. 2 of which ignore terrain and don't interrupt healing (which means a de-facto march-ability). Don't know if they even keep their fortification bonus when only moving via severing their souls. (might be tied to not leaving the tile though...) So they cap out at 6 movement with Mobility 2 (which is as high as the fastest mounted units in the game, but unlike them, they get defensive bonuses and 2 of their movement ignores terrain + they can heal while still moving part of their movement...).

Still better vs. Zombies than Ghosts because they defend better usually + move faster and have no poison-strength (which should be useless vs. undead) and because they are quite considerably cheaper naturally. Also unlike the hide-ability of ghosts they can sever their souls even after combat. :)

Ah, I was confused and thought you meant to defend with the severed soul. Thanks for the info :)

It sounds like a viable strat, however I don't think it's better than a cavalry strat. The point of cavalry isn't just the mobility but the high withdrawal as well, which reduces casualties.

Though Sidar is defender. With flanking 1 divided souls can get up to 30% withdrawal, which is decent. I'd still expect higher casualties using divided souls alone than horsemen alone.

Oh, than that's a typo of course. Sorry.

Well, they do wear down that stack faster because they heal faster + you'll be able to use them to wear the stack down even more on defense. (The losses shouldn't be that bad really. You can take shock. They don't have an anti-recon promotion...)

+ Thanks to Sidar starting with Spirit-mana its rather easy to get courage which further speeds up healing. A lot! (more than 2-3 turns shouldn't be nessecary for an individual soul.)

+ you'll usually start with 2-8 XP thanks to the overall strategy. That evens it out a bit (thats not to say its easy to mop up a stack of Pyres or that horses are useless.)

+ you don't need horses. (which saves quite some time.)

Given that choice id clearly contend with divided souls because most of the time you'll have to wear that stack down rather fastly before you start to lose cities on a large scale...

And those souls should go for the kill, not withdrawl if you can afford it. If you can kill one on offense and 3 on defense it will wear that stack down really fast (one on offense and 2 on defense should be rather easy on a forested hill across a river. Since you can decide when you defend and attack thanks to superior movement/choice of terrain.).
Even if it means some losses.

Also bringing a stack of those and maneuvering it when near the stack of Pyres should be much easier, no need to micromanage your movement and healing all so much. 4 Movement (2 of which ignores terrain really goes a long way...)

Well, they do wear down that stack faster because they heal faster + you'll be able to use them to wear the stack down even more on defense. (The losses shouldn't be that bad really. You can take shock. They don't have an anti-recon promotion...)

The higher casualties result from actually fighting the PZ. In order to have a chance to heal, units have to survive the battle. Divided souls have exactly the same chance of victory as Horsemen, except Horsemen have a higher chance of survival as well. The formation promotion is rarely seen, so it's rarely an issue.

The fact that Divided souls are better on defence isn't a factor, because that's exactly what we're trying to avoid: defending vs PZ

+ Thanks to Sidar starting with Spirit-mana its rather easy to get courage which further speeds up healing. A lot! (more than 2-3 turns shouldn't be nessecary for an individual soul.)

If you have the luxury to research KotE, then you could've gone for Construction first. Catapults are hands down better than Adepts vs PZ. As for healing, Herbalists in border cities help out alot.

And those souls should go for the kill, not withdrawl if you can afford it. If you can kill one on offense and 3 on defense it will wear that stack down really fast (one on offense and 2 on defense should be rather easy on a forested hill across a river. Since you can decide when you defend and attack thanks to superior movement/choice of terrain.).
Even if it means some losses.

Horsemen can go for the kill AND withdrawal. High lvl Horsemen can kill, low lvl Horsemen can withdraw. On the other hand, only high lvl Divided souls are useful because they can kill. Low lvl divided souls have a high chance of dying, providing xp to PZ.

Also bringing a stack of those and maneuvering it when near the stack of Pyres should be much easier, no need to micromanage your movement and healing all so much. 4 Movement (2 of which ignores terrain really goes a long way...)

The +2:move: from severed soul can't use roads, so the difference in movement inside your territory between Divided souls and cavalry is not significant. The end result is still movement of 6 tiles.

In the end I think Divided souls still need cats for them to be efficient vs PZ. Whereas horsemen can do it without cats.

i wouldn't want cats as Sidar at all for quite some time (or ever for that matter) for various reasons (i usually trade for construction much later.). Adepts fit into my basic strategy (because all 3 Spells count for Sidar (Blur is the most situational one of course but still useful on occasion) and Warfare/Military Strategy is a priority.).

Thats why i whouldn't go for cats + horses (both! beeing a be-line from my usual be-line to Bronze Working/Warfare/Military Strategy, Adepts and the early recon line.
Horses (or rather Chariots most of the time and later War-Chariots as earliest Tier 4 for the Ride) might come later, on the way to trade and / or if i fetched some Elephants, Cats are a no-go for me. Big waste of time and hammers. At that point in the game i can usually build a ghost/ ranger a turn / each 2 turns in my main city or get interesting wonders in a fast manner.)

And why would i want to avoid trading 1 Soul vs. 3/4 Zombies (its capped at about 4 because of the exploding Zombies. One from attacking. The other 2/3 from defending when a defense is! favorable.)?
Sure I don't want to defend with them via a Stack! (that would really be a non-wise move for obvious reasons) but nothing wrong with a single soul doing so. (Move a stack of souls near the battleground then attack + scatter with their sever soul ability + heal as needed and defend with a single one each (the rest out of range of the explosion of course) one at a time when Terrain is favorable and i have a rather unwounded one left to do the defending. All those conditions should usually be present rather often.)
And sure you will have greater losses. So? That doesn't make it take longer than the alternative. Which might be the more critical part as you yourselves have pointed out.

I don't know how you improve your land with roads, but i for one (if Zechnophobe is right and those appear rather early now on a regular basis on higher difficulties) have more important things to do with my workers until early midgame and my empire in early midgame at the latest isn't even so huge usually (and doesn't need to be as sidar. 3 cities - 5 cities is a rather normal setup depending on how the start of the game played out / if an early conquest was viable. Shades deliver most of the yields anyways.
The borders on the other hand are rather huge thanks to great bards from shades if on the enemy's side of my empire. On Erebus-mapscript you usually have one or 2 sides of your empire facing opposing powers so one or 2 shades for bards are usually enough and also pay for part of the maintenance and give access to the fat-cross right after settling so i would want them anyways.) so roads don't pay off all so hugely except perhaps to hook up resources or connect cities as needed.
If they come so late that roads play a big role to mobility in my empire i surely would likely at least have Rangers / Ghosts anyways + access to the Nether-Blade from Rathus for 1-2 Battles each turn (likely turned shade by then) further tipping the odds in my favor (even though it might not help so much vs. Pyres because they are undead and i belive the blade adds death-damage. So I'm not definately sure about that part.).

Rangers are clearly superior to Pyre Zombies if they start with 2-3 Promotions (Which should be the absolute norm for Sidar rather than the exception at that point if you haven't blundered terribly.).
I'm sure one could take down as many as 5 at best (one on attack, 4 on defense if conditions are nice, which would be admittedly be harder than with souls but should still be possible if done right.)

So the movement advantage does matter in a real game (especially if facing the stack down on the fringes of my terrain which surely isn't roaded at least until late-game or never if raiders are near...) or the situation isn't a real problem anymore anyways.
Or of course i would have fared so badly that i surely would have lost anyways (to the Tier 3 units which are around at that time in deity-difficulty usually.) but then the whole discussion is moot anyways.

Also for Sidar there shouldn't be "low-level" Units from late early-game up to the end (4 XP should be the utter minimum if such a Stack appears. 6 be the norm, 8 be possible. That's usually enough for Shock.
With Horsemen i would pick Flanking 1+2 for most obvious reasons so they actually have better chances for a kill for each unit built because Horsemen have other strengths.
Namely better chances of survival while taking longer to wear the SoD down and needing greater numbers to do it + cats if you really want / have the hammers + time for such an overkill. Which might mean a bigger investment in hammers even counting the losses in souls + the additional upkeep.
Taking shock with horseman sounds like a bad idea in comparison if i can field an acceptable number of horsemen to really have a chance on wearing them down.).

If you don't use the strength of an option and directly compare it. Its like comparing an Archers on city attack to Axemen on City attack. Its not hard to figure out who is better for attacking cities.
The same is true for comparing Horsemen to Divided souls in terms of either killing/defending or

Divided Souls need an utterly different approach. With divided souls for example you do want to defend. That's the whole point. If you don't they obviously lose to horsemen (which can't sensibly defend. That is their disadvantage in such a situation. And given the ability to pick the point you want to defend it can be a huge one. Depending on the lay of the land. On Erebus maps which i usually play, rivers and forests + hills are a common sight and unforested flatlands are a rarity.)

Also Cats can't be shaded which is another reason not to build them / have them when such a superstack appears. Unless you artificially waste resources just to prepare for the possible incursion of such a stack... Which imo whould be a very bad idea at deity level for any civ (unless you can be rather sure the stack will come knocking soon.). Hence pyre-zombies being such an annoying threat.

Overall i agree that cats + horses are the better option for facing a superstack of pyre-zombies in direct comparison if! tech-costs (you can read my comments in just this thread on those to get the picture what i think about that form of counter.), usual tech-path, and cost in hammers + upkeep don't matter and anything else that matters in the game is neglected.

But you have to count in that Divided Souls are far easier (on prefered tech-path anyways) + earlier (one step from exploration which you might need anyways unlike construction which needs masonry which you probably do not want and HR which needs animal husbandry which you might! not want depending on circumstances of a given game.) + more reliable (no horses needed which you won't see until Animal Husbandry. Having no horses near happens rather often to me and is a real killer to such a counter...)
(which overall usually also means they have a good chance to field more XP than a stack of cats + Horses the time that said superstack appears.) to get in greater numbers than those for Sidar. Hence me saying i would pick them instead in nearly any situation as Sidar (encountered in a real game rather than an hypotetical case-study that is.).

On Adepts: I usually get those before i can build divided Souls let alone cats (i often get Ghosts / Rangers before i can build cats. Sometimes even sanitation + will get construction for chariots / Rathas much more likely (if at all until late-midgame).).
And i would even if it were for Enchanted Blade alone (not least because i tend to get copper and / or Axemen early basically before adepts most of the time.), but it isn't just that. As already mentioned all 3 spells make sense for sidar. (courage being nearly as valuable as enchanted blade. It really helps speed up getting those units to 26Xp for shading much faster...)

So the verdict in case of KotE is rather: If you have the luxury of researching Construction and building Herbalists you could have just build some units (warriors / scouts) for shades earlier and more numerous (the cost of an herbalist should rather reliably net one Shade, possibly more.) and have a much bigger stack of more experienced Divided Souls which can later be turned into Shades + also have a sizable stack of Axemen with enchanted blades (+ possibly copper weapons in which case they can waste anything Tier 2 perhaps save a stack of Pyres / Cats+Support especially if attacking cities) to kick some AIs Ass in retaliation (likely those Sheaim which have been daring enough to try to vanquish you with their stack of pyres. Usually leaving them a bit with their pants down if you can get that stack moped up. Making sure that second superstack of pyres won't come for a loooong time ;)) + have one or some Adepts which get some XP on their own without fighting + getting a good amount of XP from battles with barbs in comparison, turning into shade-material rather very fast.
Sidar are all about shades (especially until you can get your first 3-5). Anything that isn't a shade or doesn't help you getting shades faster (like form of the Titan or a command Post) or doesn't help you with your victory of choice (Like the Lyre in case of cultural victory) has a hard time to compare. Cats are a glaring example of that.

I'm trying to focus on strategies that could be usable by most civs. Divided souls are specific to only the Sidar.

On Erebus maps which i usually play, rivers and forests + hills are a common sight and unforested flatlands are a rarity.)

I almost never play the Erebus map. The premade chokepoints on Erebus make defending your territory way too easy for my taste. It makes your strategy specific to the Erebus map, where you have the luxury to sit on a chokepoint. I've gotten used to playing on maps where I have 3+ neighbours on all sides, as a result my defensive strats are rarely chokepoint based.

I don't know how you improve your land with roads, but i for one (if Zechnophobe is right and those appear rather early now on a regular basis on higher difficulties) have more important things to do with my workers until early midgame

All it takes is an extra worker. I build roads near the border of non-raider neighbours regularly. For trade and defense purposes. And you don't need roads in every single tile. I suppose on the Erebus map fewer roads are necessary since your land is closed off anyway.

Rangers are clearly superior to Pyre Zombies if they start with 2-3 Promotions

Rangers cost 150:hammers: and belong to a higher tier than PZ. I'm restricting my strat to technology and costs roughly equal to PZ.

Taking shock with horseman sounds like a bad idea

Shock with Horsemen is a great idea...they still have a base 25% withdrawal on top of the increased chance of victory.

Overall i agree that cats + horses are the better option for facing a superstack of pyre-zombies in direct comparison if! tech-costs (you can read my comments in just this thread on those to get the picture what i think about that form of counter.), usual tech-path, and cost in hammers + upkeep don't matter and anything else that matters in the game is neglected.

You mention Divided souls and Adepts, which means Hunting and KotE. Horsemen and Cats need Horseback Riding and Construction. Sounds pretty equivalent to me especially since Horseback riding leads to Trade, which I consider an essential tech.

Cats + horses are is a little redundant. If you have Horsemen, then you can delay cats. Cats are needed earlier if you don't have horses.

As Sidar why wouldn't you want Masonry? You get Walls cheaper.

I'm also trying to figure out how you can capture cities efficiently using Divided souls and no cats. Especially cities defended by PZ.

Divided souls sounds like a viable defense strat specific to Sidar. Especially on specific maps, but generally speaking I don't see how it's better than a Horsemen/cats.

Well i did contribute to that discussion with in a more general fashion as well, earlier on.
But did want to add the souls to the mix since they did spring to my mind as a solid option / counter after testing them in game and thus noteworthy here. (and because souls are exclusive to Sidar i don't need to take into account other civs to that special discussion.)

Also noteworthy might be that a one-landmass game like pangea with everyone attacking you is about the easiest you can get for Sidar (huge ammounts of XP---> Huge ammounts of Shades---> easy game due to insane outputs). As seen in the way the survival challenges play as Sidar.
So lower difficulty because of erebus-mapscript is hardly an argument for such maps (one could argue the sidar do worse on an erebus map, if not extemely! exploiting it, than in an open one-landmass one.).

It should still work on many maps (most! mapscripts actually feature heavy terrain. Even though some quite popular ones like inland-sea and pangea don't. Multiplayer is another matter...). It just should works exceptional on erebus and since i don't play much other maps i can't judge very well on the viablity on other much different maps (like pangea).
It should! still be decent on enough mapscripts nontheless so saying its limited to a rare few mapscripts might not be fair. On Survival you might Field Tier 3-Tier4s when lots of Pyres start to appear (though this might have changed with 0.34 admittedly the way Zechnophobe describes it...)

I don't use chokepoint-exploits to a large extent (and the AI has the annoying habit of blocking of the barbs lately when i need them most / have got the base-setup complete so its not actually all that much of a pure advantage to my gameplay. I also overcrowd the map lately so it has its drawbacks...).
And since its a clear AI-failure which I'm sure will! be fixed (shouldn't be soo hard), i don't take this one to the limit. And wouldn't advertise it. So this is not part of my considerations outlined above. (doesn't change that the attacks come from a certain direction not from a random side. Which as i mentioned i rather like... No need to agree here.)

When given the choice of 35% withdrawl (regular + homeland) with a good chance to win but still quite a chance of dying or a whopping 75% chance of Withdrawl / win at the worst (regular + homeland + Flanking 1 & 2.) I'd chose Withdrawl and medium chance of winning (one can disagree on that, its very much down to the real situation in question and different experiences i guess). If i don't have a good number of horsemen i won't stand all that good of a chance anyways in such a situation. I won't have soo much time to go back to a city and heal that early usually unless i see their stack coming and DoW on them. At least the way i play.

On Rangers: An additional worker at an early point (unless conquered) might mean 1 or 2 shades less which is possibly a huge disadvantage. And if playing sidar i don't count in raw hammers but in turns to build.
No need to build a cheaper unit when it takes 1-1,5 turns to build such a unit. Faster than a unit a turn is not possible anyways (and those fast-builds do add up with Heroic Epic, Command Posts and the likes....) that's why that equation is a bit different for sidar.
Also those situations would happen with the timeline outlined by you (even with 2 workers getting roads in large parts of the empire would either mean delaying improvements or taking some time indeed.) If you give target-turns i might comment if rangers-ghosts are a real option in my experience (or even tougher units).

Also what i even did forget is that at the time i field rangers / ghosts the units from my main city usually get an additional free promotion from Shrine of the champion. Further tipping the odds quite visibly.
On defense of mounted units though i have to say that my usual beline for Tier 4-units is War-Chariots so mounted line isn't strictly bad in any way. Just not the early focus.

Why would I ever want to get Walls as Sidar? (except perhaps during a survival-challenge.)
Defending means less XP than attacking which means less Shades (unless the unit doesn't make it of course. But better lose the odd one and get your first shades fast than taking your leisure and losing the game because of it.). I want to kill them in the field.
Be it barbs or enemy superstack.
Also building the wall itself means less units, which translates into less shades (for quite some time non % yields (libraries and the likes are still very much worth it) from exconomic buildings which are rather expensive, so except perhaps! markets and councils, just don't cut it in comparison to more fast-built units. Much less so for things like Walls. Its just Military, Military, Military with a few wonders and military-enablers or +% buildings and other utter essentials sewn in.).

Only instance i can think of where i would want masonry early would be if marble is near (cheap early Great Library (+ some other cheap wonders on the way) really is hefty for Sidar which have a little wonder-focus anyways. No doubt about that. If bronze + horses are near as well it may really pay off due to early powerful Chariots/Rathas... but that happens so seldom in my experience that its negligable for at-least for such a strategy-tip.
Someone trying to win deity-level / coping with such a situation should know that by himself / herself anyways.)

Trade can wait for Sidar (because they can generate enough beakers to get their techs the hard way unless the game went bad.) until the most essential techs are done (all it does is helping to fill out some of the more problematic gaps. At the time you get it usually you can get a tech lead in certain branches by belining which still includes trade but much later in comparison to the essentials.). And again: What i said only counts for Sidar (obviously ;)).
Also some AIs tend to get Trade early enough at deity. Trading with those is always an option. Might even get you trade without getting it the hard way (unless you do play with no tech-trading or to a lesser extent no tech-brokering. Which i don't currently...).
That tech path of belining Military Strategy and KotE is something i got down to do regularly, after experimenting alot with the Sidar and trying most paths (including a focus on mounted-line). Couldn't find a better path yet (Naturally variations are possible because of different circumstances in a given game).
Also thanks to OO beeing interesting to sidar for various reasons sailing is another possibly interesting way to go for trade for them.

Sure there are some variations (like if lots of livestock is around) and horses might! be viable (Because you realize a horse-resource is near as well as soon as you get AH.).

Believe me Cats just suck for Sidar (no shading, no benefit unlike any single other military line. Not counting arcane and divine which still have some benefits ) more than for almost any other faction (and they are truly important only to relatively few civs even though i still advocate them as far from useless. You can see this just in this thread.).
which the Sidar boost to a certain extent each thanks to homeland withdrawl for mounted and recon, glaringly obvious recon-focus, early enchanted Blade for Melee, relatively early flaming Arrows for Archers (Archery-Line still sucks.). The Sidar might not look like a militarily-focused civ on first look, but thanks to their mana and favored theme they are.)
And even taking enemies down to low HP for mopping up sucks because it means better odds which translates into less XP from battles which translates into less shades. (Highly promoted units shortly pre level 6 usually have high enough odds on their own.)

The point about tech costs is not directly comparing raw costs but to compare the value of those techs in situations which happen in most games.
And be-lining construction with Sidar is about as useful as be-lining a Sphere-Tech or even Sorcery with the Khazad (i mean it!) in comparison to the alternatives.
Horses as outlined above might be another matter but for a general strategy they are unreliable at best for reasons allready mentioned (i won't even want to go AH early unless essential Livestock is near or i want some animals caught.).
KotE is a rather early tech (sometimes even pre bronze-working if no copper is near, enchanted blade + courage really is that valuable in my experience and adepts make outstanding shade-material.) and Hunting should be as well now thanks to divided Souls (even though i still have to teach myself to prioritize it somewhat thanks to divided souls. But that won't last long i reckon. With the power the souls have.).

On cities :lol: thats the best part:
Those are really toast with CR 3 Axemen with enchanted blades (in the time I'm ready for a bit of conquest they are city Raider 3 after fighting one barb. And thats easy to come by usually.).
If copper is near (best would be right on the tile of your first city which i had a few times) even warriors suffice.

And a stack of City-Raider 3 copper-Axemen with enchanted blade + courage can even toast a city defended by Tier 3s (thanks to being fast-healing and power 13! when attacking cities. :eek: Need i say more?) without much fuss or losses (save those defended by Tier 3 Archery like longbows but those usually come much later at a time i allready field War-chariots. And those really like units of the archery-branch... Mix in a few Axemen with different promotions or a few souls and the stack defends just fine as well.).
I have killed Acheron with Sidar pre turn 100 with such a setup not encountering much resistance (sacrificing a scout for taking down stoneskin first of course.).
That's a real goody if you can pull it off that early. No more great bards needed to pop those new cities + some neat income and resources and an easier less micro-heavy upgrade to enchanted blade for your melee units. Simmilar for Orthus spawning near you.

You should still better catch an AI with their pants down like right after vanquishing a Superstack or backstab when they are clueless if you are on attack. immortal/deity-AI often is rather unforgiving.
So if the AI can build up a massive defense (like multiple pyre-zombies for each city) you already made something wrong / the events turned out not so well...

Remember, i get Warfare-tech rather early most games for Form of Titan + Conquest and because its required for Military Strategy.
Those actually are usually there before many Divided Souls appear (even though i might change this after extensive testing for games where early copper is unavailable.).

On the final verdict I'd fully agree. Signed (for most civs that might be the most viable counter to go horses + Cats / Cats + Horses / Cats + Warriors. Especially for dwarves of course. Both factions. For different reasons.).

Nothing wrong with pointing it out still. (since there is no option to extend it to other civs / a more general situation anyways, it should be rather obvious.)

Sure i did (shortly after Sidar were fleshed out when Shadow-phase started), more than once (its the most obvious one to most as it has been to me. ;)). It works fine. But what i outlined above is more efficient + reliable plain and simple.
Doing that altar thing reliably in immortal is / can be a hard thing. At deity its virtually impossible to set up in a reliable manner. (and even if you do the other options do so much faster.)
On Emperor or even below its surely an option (but then an experienced sidar-player shouldn't contend with monarch or below. Unless you like founding most if not all religions and easily crushing AI Tier 2 units with your Tier 4s. Its not very entertaining usually.)

But that said some of the things have a common use.

I always go Apprenticeship (that civic i derive from during golden Ages at times...) +

with Conquest +

Theocracy (later on, even far more important if you want to go down the Altar-Route. There researching Religious law is essential)

Form of the Titan (if i can grab it, which works out more often than not. Especially if i get copper early) +

Command Post(s) (some of the early wonders including the From grant greath commander points, i usually get to grab Military strategy first even at deity, makes a decent tech for trading as well)

But Ride of the Nine kings (+10XP from mounted units and other effects, needs horses though. That tech also offers Hippodromes which give all mounted units built in the city +2 XP) offers more bang (War Chariots are very early for Tier 4 and quite powerful) for much less buck. (22 XP mounted units. The best you can get from altars at sidar unless you disable Altar-Victory is 24 XP and that is with all 6 altars built and the empyrean Shrine built... Lunatics are a good reliable source of the last 4 XP needed to turn those horse archers / war chariots into shades...)

But that's a bit of topic here. There is a thread just for that here in the strategy-subforums. So better put your question about shades there next time if possible. ;)

Top Bottom