R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

In my current game Ive gotten all the projects and now that I understand how the upgrades work I really love the mechanic...

Still have to adjust to have to handle france early game where they seem to have alot of units which are hard to handle with panzer1s and 3s, rushing for the cities and Paris ofcos removes em quite fast but still :p

Also cannot wait for whatever is planned for north Africa :)

I suppose you got that panzer iii upgrade project too, since you edited that part out??
I want to try Nazi.....after I finish the Soviets. French seems really hard....with getting attacked by Nazi pretty quick. I've never had the chance to try upgrades.....I hope I get the chance. and pretty soon.

Sorry for all the 'incoming waves of posting' I think I found the source of problem I used to have....

At the games I had problems with, I always declared on Poland faster than I was supposed to do, and got at least one of their cities before turn 8 when I am supposed to declare on Poland. And I noted that Fall of France&Fall of Poland did not work. That may have messed things up, for when I followed along the plotline, nothing wrong happened. No continuous crash, Fall of.... worked very well, etc.

I suppose you got that panzer iii upgrade project too, since you edited that part out??
I want to try Nazi.....after I finish the Soviets. French seems really hard....with getting attacked by Nazi pretty quick. I've never had the chance to try upgrades.....I hope I get the chance. and pretty soon.

Yeah I got it a few turns after I posted it, only ever had 3 Pz3s (I built purely Pz4s) so took some time for it to pop up. :)

I liked so much this scenario, but i'm palying with germany and i can't play after turn 49. Stay forever loading next turn. I will try another nations.

Also, I minor glitch: Kosice (Kassa) was given to Hungary in the First Vienna Award in 1938. You gave it to Slovakia which is incorrect. It is not a too big problem, but a problem, and i think this mod is too good to have this small but significant historical inaccuracy.

But again, congratulations and thank you for this. :)

Thanks for the information :)

Now, how should I handle the change ?

1/ simply remove Kosice and leave Slovakia with just one city ?
2/ simply switch Kosice to Hungary ?
3/ remove Kosice and switch the tile ownership to Hungary, then add another Slovakia city on the north-east tile (Presov ?)

third has my preference, but at least one more city should be added to Hungary, do you have proposal ? (take in account that I prefer to keep some space between cities on the map)

Some quick answers about questions from previous pages (if I've missed some, don't hesitate to repost):

T-34 and T-34/76 : first version in the mod represent the earlier T-34 with the L-11 gun, the second is the the one equipped with the better F-34 gun until the T-34/85. I know both "T-34" and "T-34/76" use 76mn guns, but I want to keep this upgrade path, so If you have renaming suggestions to clarify that point...

Projects: the date of availability have some randomness, project that are defined by date have a certain percentage of probability to be made available each turn from the earliest date. I'll add a maximum date and a raising probability to prevent projects not being available soon enough from bad luck in a future release... Some projects are not based on date but on experience gained in combat by another unit type. those only need barracks to be researched in a city. I may change this requirement to something else (barrack+ unit factory type or just unit factory type...).

Navy: I'm still planning to continue the AI override here, following what have been made with interceptors and subhunting.

Suicide units: I've not found a way yet to prevent the freeze between turns when using the function to prevent AI suicide (I'm not referring to the random or non-random crash or the "vanilla" freeze, the one from the function can be removed by saving/reloading when the game is frozen), but maybe I'll found another way...

Victory conditions : capital + 3 cities has reposted by Scoles

Kv-2 : were ready to add on a coding point of vue, but I first need to redo the unit balance around them, they'll be heavy assault gun and that unit class is not well defined yet.

1st turn city strength : I'll enforce no declaration of war in first turn to prevent easy 1st turn conquest on CS

Upgrading : As you've seen it's one unit per turn when an upgrade is available. On a side note, the mod try to upgrade the most experimented units firs, but there are other conditions. The unit must have more than half hit points left, must have a supply line and the nation must have enough materiel left for the upgrade after the reinforcement pass (upgrade will cost around 200-300 material, depending of the units building cost difference).

Paratroopers fix ETA : *soon*, but not as soon as *today* or *tomorrow*. but *soon*, yes.

Loading problem: can't reproduce it, so very hard to track. I don't believe it will load at all if not loaded from the mod menu, but PAVLOS_GR300, can you confirm that you're going to "Main Menu -> Mod -> single player -> load game" and not just "Main Menu -> single player -> load game" ?

Thanks Gedemon for those details.

A question for anyone about how captured cites behave:

If a city is captured but still in rebellion, but the message that a trade route has been establishes has been posted (happens the turn right after capture), does the city provide gold via the trade route (and is it the full trade route amount, or just half)? I think other than that (and if that) the city provides no production nor gold until the rebellion is finished.

Then, if the rebellion is finished BUT there is not Administration building OR broadcast tower, does it provide half the production and gold that the city screen suggests it is providing (or is that already divided in half?) or all of what it says it is providing? I think I saw a post that said this is the case (1/2 amount of the city screen indications) but can't find anything in the Civilopedia on the issue.

Finally, if you build an Administration building, BUT NO communication tower, do you get 100% of the production and gold, but can't build units?

And in a non occupied, home country city (say Cologne, playing as Germans), is there any good reason to build a communication/broadcast tower? The i. The AI suggests it all the time in such cities, but the 10/turn increase in recruitment really doesn't seem worth it without the other advantages that you would get if it was an occupied city.

One other little point that might be worth mentioning, is that there is an exploit (which no one has to use, of course, though I can't resist...) where you capture a city which is going to be bombed and taken right back, then quickly sell it to your ally (so the enemy will still recapture it), pocket the money, then take it again. Such as France takes Venice, sells it to Britain, then the Italians take it back...and repeat. If you capture with a tank which has a move left and can leave the city, then there isn't even damage to an occupying unit to deal with if the enemy recaptures.

A variation is to capture a Polish or French city that will next turn become Russian or Vichy and sell it to anyone, since you will lose it (and so will they, unless you sell Brest-Litovsk to the Russians..who have so much money they can buy lots of stuff) the next turn. I wonder if you could do that with even the cities on the German side of Poland (Danzig, for eg) and then see them flip back to Germany after the fall of Warsaw or whether they would stay owned by whoever you sold them to.

A bit of a cheap move, and for me the whole historical Fall of France/Poland idea is well worth creating such glitches, but perhaps some change could be made to selling cities. Though it would be nice for it to still be possible to at least give them away, since some interesting tactics can result from, say, giving the Brits a city that lets them base their Wellingtons closer to the action when you play as some other country.

Turn 54 w/ USSR, game crashes as soon as I end my turn. Gedemon, please see if crash happens for you. If you can get threw Turn 54, can u save and post save game so I can retest it after you get threw Turn 54?

Attachments

• Joseph Stalin - Turn 54 - January 1, 1941.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
One other little point that might be worth mentioning, is that there is an exploit (which no one has to use, of course, though I can't resist...) where you capture a city which is going to be bombed and taken right back, then quickly sell it to your ally (so the enemy will still recapture it), pocket the money, then take it again. Such as France takes Venice, sells it to Britain, then the Italians take it back...and repeat. If you capture with a tank which has a move left and can leave the city, then there isn't even damage to an occupying unit to deal with if the enemy recaptures.

A variation is to capture a Polish or French city that will next turn become Russian or Vichy and sell it to anyone, since you will lose it (and so will they, unless you sell Brest-Litovsk to the Russians..who have so much money they can buy lots of stuff) the next turn. I wonder if you could do that with even the cities on the German side of Poland (Danzig, for eg) and then see them flip back to Germany after the fall of Warsaw or whether they would stay owned by whoever you sold them to.

A bit of a cheap move, and for me the whole historical Fall of France/Poland idea is well worth creating such glitches, but perhaps some change could be made to selling cities. Though it would be nice for it to still be possible to at least give them away, since some interesting tactics can result from, say, giving the Brits a city that lets them base their Wellingtons closer to the action when you play as some other country.

If you play as the Soviets or Nazi, it's even better. capture a polish city, sell it to the UK or French. They will convert back to polish, and since you r still at war with them, you can seize the city again to keep getting money......

Oops..though the capture/sell/recapture thing works in many places, it does not work for the Polish cities (and maybe not the French ones pre-fall of Paris) just before the fall of Poland. It seems selling those cities is blocked though you can sell others (that you wouldn't want to at that point). Perhaps Gedemon thought of that and blocked it. Good planning.

Sorry for misleading anyone on that point.

Interesting...I didn't try selling the Polish cities to Britain or France, playing as Germany. I wonder why it would work selling to them and not to Italy or Russia.

Playing through as Italy on Deity and it's loads of fun.

A couple of things so far that make this really difficult to play however:

When you start out, your natural advance is into southern France. But, I was only able to take Nice and then pick away at the French army before the whole thing flipped over to Vichy due to Germany taking Paris. I had also started advancing into North Africa, which was also flipped over to an allied state as well. So, your first two logical targets are taken from you.

Germany quickly took out France, but their attempt at an assault on England was unbearable to watch. Squandered their entire army on foolish attacks.

So now it's turn 74 and England is recapturing French territory and the Soviets have started crushing Germany from the East and it's looking like it's going to go downhill from here.

Italy is doing pretty well - taken over from Saudi Arabia to Morocco (either by conquest or allies), most of the Mediterranean rim, and now Portugal and about to head into Spain. But their industrial base just isn't big enough to make up for Germany now faltering.

Any recommendations from folks on how to play Italy while relying on the dumb Civ AI to handle Germany? Or, wonder if there's anything that could be done to Italy to make it more self sufficient without skewing the historical accuracy?

Playing through as Italy on Deity and it's loads of fun.

A couple of things so far that make this really difficult to play however:

When you start out, your natural advance is into southern France. But, I was only able to take Nice and then pick away at the French army before the whole thing flipped over to Vichy due to Germany taking Paris. I had also started advancing into North Africa, which was also flipped over to an allied state as well. So, your first two logical targets are taken from you.

Germany quickly took out France, but their attempt at an assault on England was unbearable to watch. Squandered their entire army on foolish attacks.

So now it's turn 74 and England is recapturing French territory and the Soviets have started crushing Germany from the East and it's looking like it's going to go downhill from here.

Italy is doing pretty well - taken over from Saudi Arabia to Morocco (either by conquest or allies), most of the Mediterranean rim, and now Portugal and about to head into Spain. But their industrial base just isn't big enough to make up for Germany now faltering.

Any recommendations from folks on how to play Italy while relying on the dumb Civ AI to handle Germany? Or, wonder if there's anything that could be done to Italy to make it more self sufficient without skewing the historical accuracy?

Italy is the most fun to play.
Use France and French Africa as a training ground for your units.
Build factories at home and banks.
Make one city pump out tanks, another fighter, a third bombers (fast bombers) or normal SM.84 bombers when available. For the rest from Infantry and maybe artillery. Once city should be able to make naval units.
Take the French cities in North Africa and Syria so they have nothing when France falls.

You have to provide units to the eastern front or Germany will have issues, due to losing their army in the channel. I usually send some tanks Med and some infantry. Once you have Yugo use Lovw(sp?) as you bomber base so you can use them to take parts of Russia. You probable have to help Romania as well.
Do not worry to much about Africa as it is not worth allot, unless you get a bunch of banks built there. You can take out the USSR if you work at it. Then you need Spain so you can use air to take out England and then you WIN.

The key is getting the Economy setup in Italy and a few cities dedicated to unit types. Use Air Sweep to eliminate the enemy air force and then use fighters to help bomb cities.

Rome I make the research center, but it is good to put up every building type you can in Rome so that captured towns build them faster, so Bank, factory, Admin buiding, barracks, Barricades (for those small cities that have nothing else to build.

Italy is the most fun to play.
Use France and French Africa as a training ground for your units.
Build factories at home and banks.
Make one city pump out tanks, another fighter, a third bombers (fast bombers) or normal SM.84 bombers when available. For the rest from Infantry and maybe artillery. Once city should be able to make naval units.
Take the French cities in North Africa and Syria so they have nothing when France falls.

You have to provide units to the eastern front or Germany will have issues, due to losing their army in the channel. I usually send some tanks Med and some infantry. Once you have Yugo use Lovw(sp?) as you bomber base so you can use them to take parts of Russia. You probable have to help Romania as well.
Do not worry to much about Africa as it is not worth allot, unless you get a bunch of banks built there. You can take out the USSR if you work at it. Then you need Spain so you can use air to take out England and then you WIN.

The key is getting the Economy setup in Italy and a few cities dedicated to unit types. Use Air Sweep to eliminate the enemy air force and then use fighters to help bomb cities.

Rome I make the research center, but it is good to put up every building type you can in Rome so that captured towns build them faster, so Bank, factory, Admin buiding, barracks, Barricades (for those small cities that have nothing else to build.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll perhaps start over and try some of these.

Do you take over Romania before they Ally and attack Russia before they auto-declare? Also, you attacked Russia before attacking Spain?

Just curious. :)

Yup, if you're going to make Hungary, I can provide anything you want, Gedemon. :)
2nd.i have found everyhing needed to expand playable nations to include greece so if u want to make it let me know to e mail u the info.
Forgot to say I've posted more info about adding other nation to the mod in the development thread (see link in first post)

A question for anyone about how captured cites behave [...]
The trade route works as vanilla civ5.

it's the reinforcement production (materiel and personnel) that are halved in occupied cities without "Administrative Building", not the gold or base production.

broadcast tower are not very useful yet in your own cities, but that will change when morale will be implemented.

about the exploit, selling one of your own small city is even more rewarding... I'll remove city selling in next version, I hope to be able to change "sell" to "give" for city to fix the exploit in a better way (so you can provide a base for your allies bombers)

Turn 54 w/ USSR, game crashes as soon as I end my turn. Gedemon, please see if crash happens for you. If you can get threw Turn 54, can u save and post save game so I can retest it after you get threw Turn 54?
No crash for me, turn 55 saved game attached. Please note that I've done that exceptionally, you can post savegame and ask for test/help (and it greatly help me debugging), but I won't have time to do it for everyone having crash on "fall of..." events (not counting the temporary space taken on my upload limit on CFC), so I hope other players can help to fulfill this kind of request.

Attachments

• Joseph Stalin - Turn 55 - January 10, 1941.7z
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Thanks for the information :)

Now, how should I handle the change ?

1/ simply remove Kosice and leave Slovakia with just one city ?
2/ simply switch Kosice to Hungary ?
3/ remove Kosice and switch the tile ownership to Hungary, then add another Slovakia city on the north-east tile (Presov ?)

third has my preference, but at least one more city should be added to Hungary, do you have proposal ? (take in account that I prefer to keep some space between cities on the map)

I prefer the third too. It is a good idea, and makes the to civs to both have two cities.
And another suggestion: Slovakia (in the mod) is the ally of Hitler. But Hungary is only a friend. (In fact, Hungary were Germany's more appreciated ally, although Horthy (king/regent of Hungary under WWII) wasn't nazi. He was nationalistic, but not nazi.)

Anyway, my suggestion is that Hungary should be Germany's ally too. It is not a problem, it is a just a fly in the ointment. ;)

Forgot to say I've posted more info about adding other nation to the mod in the development thread (see link in first post)

Thanks for that. :)
I tried to do that before you posted such a thing, and I *could* make Hungary, I could also put them into the game, give them new graphics, etc. but I couldn't play with them.

I loved playing Italy. The thing that made the difference for me was sending a couple of infantry units up north and grabbing either Belgium of Amsterdam from under the nose of Germany. Timing was crucial. That let me base aircraft within range of Britain. I ended up owning most of Britain, though Germany got at least one city.

That gave me the base to take Russia, mostly via moving in through Greece/Romania/Bulgaria, after going East from Venice. Budapest and Sarajevo are great industrial bases. My navy was very helpful in the Black Sea.

France was a blast to play too, but I haven't explored what happens if Paris falls.

Such a great mod.

@Gedemon...thanks for the details on the occupied city bit and re:changes on the way for city selling. Playing other countries will be even more fun.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll perhaps start over and try some of these.

Do you take over Romania before they Ally and attack Russia before they auto-declare? Also, you attacked Russia before attacking Spain?

Just curious. :)

Yes, I help Germany in France, by sending my armour through Germany to France and usually one infantry. The rest take south France for experience. I do not, out of historical preference, attack early in the time line. I take Yugo and Greece, but anytime Germany is attacked by the USSR I send some armour and infantry to help defend and/or take Lowv so I have a base for air operation. Otherwise I do the best I can from Belgrade, until I get a city in USSR. I do not take the historical German allies Hungary, Romania, or Bulgaria. I do the war with the USSR first to make it harder on me, well it is not really harder, because the English fleet is easy to wipe out.

I realize I can go totally A historical and take everything in England long before the USSR war but it is not as much fun and I want to test the long term game more. I want to test later war projects and if you get a back and forth flow in the war. Turns out you don't (get a back and forth flow) as the AI does not spend enough on buying units and instead buys buildings.

Keep having fun.

Interesting...I didn't try selling the Polish cities to Britain or France, playing as Germany. I wonder why it would work selling to them and not to Italy or Russia.

I think that is because....

for Italy- they were Germany's allies, so they wouldn't liberate Poland..After all, the Nazis seized Poland, and didn't attack to pillage....

USSR- pretty obvious, since they captured Poland cities.....Why would they liberate a city that is from the same country they captured??

Top Bottom