Random Rants noventa y tres: The Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@IglooDame 10 years ago there would only have been 3 choices if the question was even asked. Back then the question would have been: What is your gender? without anything more.

Yeah, you mean Sophie/@schlaufuchs I'm almost as familiar with the situation 10 or 20 or 30 years ago as you are.

That aside... Personally I'm no more fond of that question's available responses as Sophie is. I don't want to be split out as cis or trans unless it's personally medically relevant (like affecting my likelihood of ovarian cancer or something). I read in it an implication that the relationship of "sexual health" to one being transgender or not as going to things like promiscuity.

That form doesn't have an option for people who are XXY, XYY or other genetic anomalies which result in mixed-gender bodies (regardless of how they identify socially) other than a catch-all ‘other’.

My gender is not “trans”, any more than a tall woman’s gender is tall.

Specifying that I am a “transgender female” serves no purpose but to undermine my identity; to imply by specificity that my gender is somehow artificial and inauthentic, in contrast to “real” females who get to bear their label proudly, sans caveats.

Its also a health survey; with the best will in the world you aren't affected by menstruation or ovarian cancer.

Its also a health survey; with the best will in the world you aren't affected by menstruation or ovarian cancer.

Nor is a woman who has had a hysterectomy and yet strangely enough they did not have a checkbox for someone whose gender is “had a hysterectomy.”

Also, we do get periods, you know. Just minus the flow.

But thanks for your patronism. Truly I had no idea that I did not have ovaries. Where would we be without men to explain these complicated facets of gender and identity to us simple-minded women.

Last edited:
While having to teach people about these sorts of things can be tiresome, I suggest you answer honestly - you identify as female. That _is_ what they asked. They didn't ask if you were cis or trans, though maybe they meant to. You could point out to them that their answer choices are dumb and offensive if you like - lately I've been rather enjoying pointing out the stupid things on health paperwork to my healthcare providers - but it isn't your job to correct their mistakes.

A question there ("When was the war of 1812") reminded me of a stupid history test question in middleschool: "Where did the naval battle at Actium take place", in which (yes, @Arakhor , I know I have posted this before :D ) the terrible teacher gave full points to someone who answered "At Actium".
Yeah, I mentioned a few paragraphs from the book. Don't recall if I also got full points :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, you mean Sophie/@schlaufuchs I'm almost as familiar with the situation 10 or 20 or 30 years ago as you are.

That aside... Personally I'm no more fond of that question's available responses as Sophie is. I don't want to be split out as cis or trans unless it's personally medically relevant (like affecting my likelihood of ovarian cancer or something). I read in it an implication that the relationship of "sexual health" to one being transgender or not as going to things like promiscuity.
It was funny going to get my butt checked for an anal fissure and the doctor looking at me funny when I told her I've never had anal sex. Like that just couldn't be true :lol:

They still make Dragonlance books or these are old ones?

I made a thread years ago on Michael Jackson’s similarity to a Dragonlance character.
I remember. Plotinus was part of the argumentdiscussion as well, if memory serves.

I still don't see how Michael Jackson could possibly have any similarity whatsoever to Raistlin.

Mmmmkay. I could do that if, say, people contributed to my recapturing this thread in the near future…
Remember that you can't win back-to-back threads.

Seriously, as a professional interpreter, I can tell you that Google Translate is a misleading tool at best.
I had to give up reading a particular Harry Potter fanfic due to the author's butchering of the French dialogue she used in scenes with Fleur and Bill Weasley. I finally wrote to the author and politely explained the errors she was making, provided the corrections, and asked her to use the correct grammar in future chapters.

She didn't. After more chapters of mixing up "n'est pas" with "n'est-ce pas" (honestly, they do NOT mean the same thing and are NOT interchangeable), mixing up the formal and informal "vous" vs. "tu", and several other things that are so easy that young children couldn't get them wrong, I finally sent a PM to say that due to her writing Fleur as an idiot who couldn't speak her own language - and annoying the hell out of readers who actually do know how to read French - I was dropping the story. I shudder to think how badly she may have butchered the Russian and Croatian dialogue (can't verify if she did or not, as I don't read more than about 3 words of Russian and don't know any Croatian at all).

In short, fanfic writers who want to include foreign language dialogue in their stories should either be fluent in the language themselves, or use a beta reader who is fluent. Relying on Google Translate only results in a mess.

My gallbladder attacks are getting much, much worse, if such a thing were possible. Last night was the worst one yet and it took three hours of exhausted pacing and downing anti-inflammatories like they're going out of style before it abated.

Speaking of which, my surgery referral was accepted ten months ago and I still haven't heard a peep. At this point I am genuinely suspecting I will not get it yanked out until I have to beg an ER to do it. I've given myself a limit of four hours for an attack before needing to seriously consider going. This is the closest I've come to that limit.
Only 3 hours... Before my surgery, my worst ones lasted 12 hours. There were times when I was so out of it with pain that I went outside and wandered around the back yard... without a coat, in -20C. It actually felt good, as the cold helped numb the pain a bit. But my grandmother was afraid I'd get hypothermia, so she made me come back inside. I remember doing a lot of pacing.

Honestly, next time this happens, go to ER. Ten months is too long a wait, and the length of the attacks will just get worse.

You rushed to the end to get it and the title sucks

I had three teeth extracted on Tuesday. They still ache today and now I have a flu jab as well.

Rant: After about 6 months, my t is much higher and my e is much lower than target
Rave: my dosages are getting doubled
Rant: there was a miscommunication between doctor and pharmacy (AGAIN) that means I’m not gonna get my refill in time (AGAIN) and I’m going to have to stretch my remaining supply (AGAIN).

Last edited:
Remember that you can't win back-to-back threads.
I am already working at bribing moderators.
Valka D'Ur said:
I had to give up reading a particular Harry Potter fanfic due to the author's butchering of the French dialogue she used in scenes with Fleur and Bill Weasley. I finally wrote to the author and politely explained the errors she was making, provided the corrections, and asked her to use the correct grammar in future chapters.

She didn't. After more chapters of mixing up "n'est pas" with "n'est-ce pas" (honestly, they do NOT mean the same thing and are NOT interchangeable), mixing up the formal and informal "vous" vs. "tu", and several other things that are so easy that young children couldn't get them wrong, I finally sent a PM to say that due to her writing Fleur as an idiot who couldn't speak her own language - and annoying the hell out of readers who actually do know how to read French - I was dropping the story. I shudder to think how badly she may have butchered the Russian and Croatian dialogue (can't verify if she did or not, as I don't read more than about 3 words of Russian and don't know any Croatian at all).

In short, fanfic writers who want to include foreign language dialogue in their stories should either be fluent in the language themselves, or use a beta reader who is fluent. Relying on Google Translate only results in a mess.
If she butchered French then she almost surely butchered Russian and Croatian which have the same T-V distinction.

One big problem with subtitling and dubbing these days is that it's [original language] → [English] and then, if needed [English] → next language and so a lot of distinctions that are blurred or, if expressed, expressed differently, i.e. with other structures and word categories, get mashed up by a bad, hurried translation into English and a second bad, hurried translation from English into the next target language.
Hence my previous rants thread title: ‘I protest against subtitles’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom