• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

SGOTM6 - Team CDZ

Sorry if I was not clear. No, there is no problem.

My post was just in response to a question put by Meli on CDZ forum. I just wanted to clarify that the team captain is responsible for skipping people who are late, and not me. The 24/72 hr rule is intended to allow captains to skip people without being criticised for being too harsh.

I have asked Alan to include a timestamp on saves so that it is clear how long a save has been on the server. Unfortunately he is busy fixing my latest screw up right now, and he is also working on improving the SGOTM security system, so it may have to wait a while.

Preturn (1750BC): tut tut, there are 2 cities that should be one 4 turn growth and instead have been allowed to be at 4 and 3 fpt. :(

col, it takes only 2 minutes each turn at this stage to mm the cities so they get enough food. Not mm'ing shields is one thing, but not mm'ing food on our 5 food-per-turn cities is really bad for our overall growth and power, especially so very early in the game...

Turn lux down from 10% to 0%. I can't help but feel we've missed a turn or two on writing as well (Sci was at 80% when lux was at 10%, so 10% wasted).

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it really doesn't take long and it could mean missing Philosophy and a free tech.

On checking diplo Japan, Mongols and Carthage all have Writing, and China is lacking it and has cash and techs to spare. With 3 turns left on Writing we should have checked diplo for it to buy every turn...

Buy Writing from Carthage for 13 gold and 4 gpt.
Sell Writing to China for Iron Working and 30 gold. I think it's best to get Iron Working now and avoid roading any Iron we see. If we wait too long before getting IW we may find we've founded a city on an Iron tile and be stuck without warriors.

Excellent - we have 1 Iron source on our border, and on a mountain so not in the way.

At 100% Science (and after some mm), Philosophy is now in 10 turns. We will see if I can speed it up a little...

Turn 1 (1725BC): Colopolis build warrior -> curragh.

Turn 2 (1700BC): Paramaribo builds settler -> settler.

Found my first city, Bastard. I moved the settler 1 tile from where col left it because I can get another river city in like this (and also free up a BG for one of our 5 fpt cities).

I've managed to get Phil down to 7 turns now. We're -5 gpt and have 34 in the bank.

Turn 3 (1675BC): Eindhoven bilds worker -> worker. Colville builds warrior -> barracks.

Turn 4 (1650BC): Philosophy is now down to 4 turns, I've set 3 scientists in cities where it will gain at least 2 beakers per turn, and we are now getting 43 beakers per turn!

AI: Vikings complete the Colossus.

Turn 5 (1625BC): It's problaby worth mentioning I've been roading river tiles for the rush to Philosophy.

Turn 6 (1600BC): Colopolis builds curragh -> warrior.

Found my second city, Arse.

AI: We get booted from Chinas territory, but we got 2 warriors on mountains and good visibility now over their lands.

Turn 7 (1575BC): Paramaribo builds settler -> settler. Colopolis builds curragh -> warrior. Philosophy next turn.

Turn 8 (1550BC): Go to the "big picture" screen before choosing the next tech and check diplo.

Sell Philosophy to Japan for 498 gold. I could buy techs first, but I can get full value for Philosophy here (we leave Japan with 30 gold).
Give Philosophy and 88 gold to Carthage for Mysticism and Warrior Code.
Sell Mysticism (+1 gold) to China for Masonry.
Buy the Wheel for 223 gold from the Mongols (don't want to sell them Phil yet in case they have HBR).
They do have HBR but I can't get much of our cash back if I buy it, so I give the Mongols Phil for 226 gold.

The only tech we are down now is Horseback Riding, and they all have it so there is no urgent need to buy it.

I set our tech to Map Making but we have missed the Philosophy gambit. I can't but help think this is our own fault and we could have avoided it. :cry:

I check the map and we are missing horses. The nearest one I can see is in Chinese territory, not exactly the bit nearest us either.

Set science to Maths@max (10 turns).

Turn 9 (1525BC): Carthage has Maths now.

AI: China declares war on us! They attack Bastard with an Archer and lose.

Turn 10 (1500BC): I don't move anything apart from 1 warrior, because we are at war now and need to consider our next move carefully.

Suggestions for this war:

Build barracks then warriors in Colleville and Colopolis.
Orenburg just finished barracks and can go straight to warrior production.
Bartard and Arse can both just build warriors with no barracks (not enough shields per turn).
Para and Eindhoven can build workers (Para the odd settler, but mostly workers).
All new cities to build just warriors.

Set science to 0% and save cash for upgrades to Gallic Swords.

I'm not sure saves are patched. Did you get the save from the server? Or from col?

Please in the future note that you MUST download save from the server. It is not possible to play the save which has not been downloaded/uploaded from the server!!!!!

The link has been broken, it was done intentionally by AlanH in order to patch the saves and correct the naval movement.

@Anarres: It might be your inability to upload the save is due to two possibilities: first one, your name has been mistyped by m-b. Second, the checksum of the file failed since you were supposed to have the edited save submitted wheres it might be you played unedited one. Please check the maintenance thread or pm AlanH at to ask about it and wait for his reply.

@Carlos: Please do not play the game until we are told this can be done.

Edited: The save has been uploaded by impersonating myself as annares (instead of anarres). We now have to wait for AlanH to fix it and then we can continue with the game.

@Carlos: You are UP. The save has been patched by AlanH. To get it, please download from the SGOTM page but by no means use the save which has been posted by Anarres.

Good luck!

NOTE: I have a horrible reload count on this. Reasons: playing at work - if I Alt-Tab out of Civ it often crashes. I had 5 crashes playing these turns. Also, I couldn’t play in one sitting. (

preturn: some MMing, follow anarres suggestiuons but decide to skim the worker from Colville.
need 10% lux.
do not feel lucky and do not attack chinese archer, rather move (across river, onto mountain) our warrior into chiense lands.

(1) Klei mi am Mors founded
Writing gets us 29+HBR from iros.
move warrior deeper into chinese lands (trying to keep their forces there)
mining gets Eind off 3/3 worker cycle. We can do intermittent warriors there, too.

(2) nothing much. MMing, settler goes to Orenburg, our warrior keeps wandering.

(3) same same.

(4) warrior redlines but fights back archer. Orenburg is on 5spt, Para will (one mine needed) be a 2/2 worker factory. Massive MMing makes it 4/4 settler again any time. I want another settler for the Dyes. I decide that bastard gets barracks (cutting forest, then mining plains - it has enough growth to get the respectable size/prod fast).

(5) Para Mme to growth for settler.

seems I lost my turn count here somehow

(7) Colville has ‘racks and goes warriors in 2, Arse switched to ‘racks, too. I see no Chinese coming so we have time.

(8) Japan wants 58 Gold. We can war happiness.
We meet India. Writing+Myst gets us Maths+worker; they are at war (I see a 2HP archer); I guess with Japan. MM para to 2/2 for the settler

(9) marching into China again.

(10) Spice up your life! founded.

I leave most things unmoved.

We can begin thinking about roading the iron!

1250BC:

Eindhoven switches to granary...that was supposed to be there a lot earlier.
Colopolis, Colville and Bastard also switch to granary.
Arse to temple fopr cultural expansion towards china.
2 warriors in Orenburg are idle. 2 move to future setlespots for barbcampprevention. 1 to arse to reinforce the frontline. 1 is mp.
Micromanage the new granary producing cities to get more shields to finish the grany before growth. The setler goes to the dies as I read somewhere that we wanted that.

IT: 4 chinese units (spear, 3 war) approach arse...

1225BC: Orenburg builds war, start another one. easternmost curragh spots purple border!

IT: Our regular fortified warrior on a hill defeats archer and warrior of china without even a scratch. he is promoted to veteran! 1 more spear gets towards arse. 3 warriors line up next to it, the chinese spear goes to a mountain.

1200BC: I now have 4 warriors in arse, 3 are fortified. I make no peace as we need one more turn of warhapiness. The purple border belongs to the Iroquois.
Setler goes to dyes, connected in one turn. MM all cities so it is all nice.[:D]

IT:
-Our vet warrior Loses from reg warrior in arse. -1 hp
-Our reg war defeats reg archer near Canton, promo to vet, -2h.
-Our vet war defeats reg war in arse, -2hp

1175BC: I make peace with Mao, and we gain the city of Tientsin in the process. Nice, since he will not do it for tientsin AND ONE gold. LOL. I take it since we are building setlers and temples so our mili will not be stronger to his next turn. [:D]

Mongols have Poly, Carthage has MM. I refuse to trade as prices are too high. Curraghs need to meet some one soon

As we lose warhapiness with China, the perfectly timed city of Cameltopolis is founded on the dyes, keeping tax at 100%.

IT: Chinese units leave our lands.

1150BC: paramaribo builds setler, more ordered.

I whipp in a temple in Klei Mi Am mors[whipped]

IT: ---

1125BC: Klei builds temple, to rax.

finaly some trades.

Give HBR and math to China for MM and 1 gold.
Mongols want 500 gold, Math and MM for Poly...combined other civs have 130 gold so I see no deal yet.

IT: Mongols and China move units towards Mountainious area, there will be barbs there. We shoudl investigate and see if we can snatch teh 25g.

1100BC: I Found the city Up Yours, 3 tiles NE of Paramaribo, the cow is now finaly used. I set to temple to flip Kago. or so.

Mongolds learned Math and MM. somehow. Japs wanna talk peace, for 2 gold. no thanx, togu, I'll keep the WH.

As can be seen most granaries are nearly finished. Also, I will whipp a temple in Spice as it has no grass to use now, and because we can in 3 turns.

IT: Rien...

1075 bc: Orenburg warrior, it is now size 5 and I decide a temple is okay now.

IT: a Jap galley comes out of Kagoshima, no units landed on our side, my guess is it will head to Spice, unless it has a setler.

1050 BC:
-Paramaribo setler, again.
-Colville Granary, setler
-Bastard Granary, setler

-Paris, France, builds the Pyramids.[:(]
-Orleans, France, builds the Oracle.[:o]
-Beijing, China, builds the MoM...................[aargh]

I move units arround. Decide no peace with Japs yet.

IT: Japanese galley lands no units.

1025BC:
-Colopolis Granary, harbour. we need one for trading some day, and colville is using the game anyways now.

I move units, mainly warriors to tactical positions if the Japs land. Workers are done near Colville and Colopolis and head to road towards the Spices. If we connect them before we make peace with Japan we should be able to maintain 100% tax.

IT: Damn, Japanese Swordsman lands near our Dyescity...gotta make peace this turn.

1000BC: Make peace with japan for 20 gold. better then lose a city on our only dyes...I feel I defended well since usually the AI lands a warrior, not a swordsman. I could have taken a warrior.[blush2]

I whipp in a temple at spice and found a city called Giant Hooters.

Lux to 10%.

All cities are timed very nicely for their builds! I suggest to take a very close look at the MM as this dense build has many, many possibilities. On important cities some info:

Paramaribo: setler fac. needs 16 shields for setler in 2. get 7 spt. will use forrest on growth for total of 16.
Eindhoven: Granary in one! after that setler/worker
Colopolis: Harbor in 6, has no growth now. since it is on a river and has a granary it will grow large fast. let it finish harbor and then grow.
Colville: Made it a 4-turn-setler fac! setler in 2 including shields from growth.[cool]
Orenburg: Temple in 2. I suggest we finish that. after that warriors.
Bastard. Let it finish the setler and after that it is a 2-turn worker fac at size 6![cool]
Arse: baracks and units.

Rest: whipp in temple, baracks when possible/desirable.

Workers, road towards the Spices! Then improve as needed.

Scouting: The curraghs are trying.

Sneaking thought: Build a galley and open the hut on the island in the south as soon as we can only get currence/construction as techs! we may get very lucky.[evil]

I will upload the save at CFC.

PS: for posts including great pics, go to CDZ! ;)

Ok, seems that Anarres goes missing and Meli cannot make C3C work, so i got it and will try my best to play tomorrow. We are behind most of the teams in schedule, alas.

Preflight check - Minor MM adjustments.

Turn 01 975BC - Eind Granary -> worker. SpiceUpYourLife Temple -> warrior. We are MM up on the Iroquois and MM, Philo and HBR up on the Indians. Nobody has the money to make trades worthwhile. Everyone else (except China) is Poly up on us. Would cost 560 gold. I dont think so. China cant afford (or wont make) GPT deals so not worth buying a tech they dont have yet.

Turn 02 950BC - Para Settler -> settler. Orenburg Temple -> warrior. Colville settler -> worker. Para settler sent to A, Colville settler to F.

Turn 03 925BC - Eind worker -> worker. Wander a curragh up a blind alley and meet the vikings! [:D] They are Lit, Poly and Construction up on us! Hmm 700 gold for Literature, 1418gold (all of it) and +45gpt for Construction... [:o] Up Yours! Whip the temple in Up Yours!

IT - Japs move that swordsman next to Giant Hooters. I'm hoping they are there for the view, but will wander an extra warrior there anyways.

Turn 04 900BC - Orenburg warrior -> warrior. Perfect timing. Colville worker -> worker. Bastard settler -> settler. Arse barracks -> warrior. Up Yours! Temple -> warrior. Eastern curragh spots Yellow borders [:D] NW curragh meets the Americans [:D] They are only Poly up on us. Price of Poly now drops to 487gold.

IT - Mongols move a settler and conscript warrior. Hmm maybe worth a war here? They only have 4 cities apart from their Capital? I have a 40% chance of winning, it would be in sodding mountains wouldn't it. Oh well I think I'll have a go. What they gonna do huh?

Turn 05 875BC - Eind worker -> worker. Spice cultural borders expand. Christ that was close, we lose the first 2 hps and then kill the conscript. Oh and btw I declared war before attacking, and yes we had no deals outstanding first. 2 New slaves for us! 1 less settler for the Mongols! [fdevil] Doh stupid me, Yellow borders in the East are of course the far west end of the Mongol empire. Well the war with the mongols will allow some nice close Military Pics to be taken without annoying them (OK so thats pointless, declaring war annoyed them enough I think [:p]) Found Broadmoor on Site A start on warrior. Northern Curragh spots Orange borders! Buy a worker from China for 108gold. I decide to spend a little cash here and see what the chinese are up to in their capital city. Also if this map is a contiguous landmass according to MB then maybe there's a landbridge NW of Beijing. And it only costs 34 gold. They have no resources, only the visible (near their cap) furs connected and 4 spears in here! Also using the ever so sneaky Right Click on the visible horses shows they've not been roaded yet. Also surrounded by mountains Canton is not yet connected to the Cap.

Turn 06 850BC - Para settler -> settler. Orenburg warrior -> warrior. Colopolis Harbour -> SoZ. Its got the best spt we have. Colville worker -> worker. Arse warrior -> warrior. Zmrde founded (anyone speak Czech?) starts on Barracks (can be changed). Finally meet the England. Ah finally some tech choices, they have Poly but are down Writing, Maths and HBR. Give them HBR and Writing for Poly. Sell Poly to the Chinese for 111gold (all they had). Change Colopolis to ToA. It can switch back to SoZ if we lose out in this race. ToA in 56 turns. Orenburg has now hit size 6 and can happily switch to zero growth and do 10spt net. 1 warrior a turn and it has a barracks!

Turn 07 825BC - Orenburg warrior -> warrior (this will get tedious). Unix founded at C. Warrior ordered. Wander a warrior into Mongol lands, he has 1hp. Finishes next to 2 reg warriors and a reg archer and spots a further 2 reg wars and a reg archer plus a vet warrior!! Will consider roading iron soon. We currently have 1572 gold and a total of 27 warriors. 27x60 = 1620gold. We do +50gpt. Next turn we have 1622 gold and 28 warriors [:p] Oh and the mongols have iron connected. Tiensin size 3. Still going for food. 6 gross shields still nets 1 shield [:(] Switch from temple to barracks. Will grow in 7 turns (and riot) can rush barracks in 6 [:D]. Road on iron completes in 3 turns.

IT - Mongols kill 1hp warrior for no loss. Forbidden Palace Pop-up appears! Chinese building ToA.

Turn 08 800BC. Eind worker -> worker. Orenburg warrior -> warrior. Arse warrior -> warrior. Cameltopolis temple -> warrior. Up Yours! Cultural influence expands. Another warrior moves in on supposed Mongol Capital looking to pillage. Buy worker from China for 108gold. China has CoL. Too expensive and not worth the effort.

Turn 09 775BC - Orenburg warrior -> warrior. Colville worker -> worker. Klei Barracks -> warrior. Spice warrior -> warrior. Up Yours! warrior -> barracks. Spices connected. Lux to 0%.

IT - Iron road completes. Reg Mongol warrior defeats our vet warrior for no loss [rolleyes]

Turn 10 750BC - Para settler -> settler. Eind worker -> worker. Orenburg warrior -> GS. 4 turns to complete. Bastard settler -> barracks. Arse warrior -> GS. Upgrade 12 warriors for 720 gold. Clam Chowder founded, starts warrior.

Wow.

i leave the end of turn trading to anarres.

There is a lot about and we have 835gold and +59gpt to trade.

Some civs have Construction (Carthage and Viking), Americans have Monarchy, China have Col. Viking have Lit. All other civs have the same as us except Iro, India and England who are behind various techs. England has a worker for sale.

There is too much for my feeble brain to take in and i gladly leave it to anarres.

We now have 17 cities, 13 GS's and 19 warriors.

Have fun [:D]

Melifluous

PS. You;re up anarres!!!

Got it! :)

blah blah blah

Sorry, I played and somone else is up (don't know who!!!!)

Top Bottom