Sid Vicious and The Magnificent 7+1

1250BC is where I entered the picture. My first round began. I spent the whole time building infrastructure, mostly granaries and temples. On the last turn, I grabbed a risque settling spot to the east: Sirian's Gap.

Here's the map at the end of my first round:

Several AIs are now at war with the Mongols.

Don't blink. You may miss the action.

Woops, too late. :eek: Hey, I told you not to blink. :lol:

By 250BC, we're looking at the new normal. No trace of Mongolia remains.

My second round began in 250AD. Our team had built up a mighty army (well, for us, it was mighty -- 20 horsemen, 10 cats or so, a couple of swords), and the warmaking responsibilities fell to me.

I did all that I could. This amounted to taking one town from the Babylonians and destroying another, plus securing the land there for us to plant a settler to replace it.

France also declared war, and I got to watch thousands of swishy horsie tails flicking and flying as they galloped past us. Cavalry, that is.

Joanie cut me off at the pass, leaving me no further targets.

Um... don't blink because...

Too late. The Babs are dead already. :lol:

I told you not to blink! :crazyeye:

This is the point at which we had to trek far to the north in search of ancient texts, dusty and moldy, stored in the old Great Library of the Vikings. Good thing some fool kept on updating the records in there, even though the library wasn't used any more, because we found all kinds of cool stuff in there like Steam Engines, Factory blueprints, you name it. :crazyeye: :lol:

Here is the turn on which we made our discoveries and vaulted from the caves into an industrialized society. :cooool:

Where are the Vikings, you ask? Tsk, tsk. You must have blinked again. :lol:

From 650AD to 1150AD was an era of general stability. The Ottomans took the library city from us exactly one turn after we scored our tech coup, but that was fine. France and Ottomans were the only powers left, now, and their settlers filled in all the gaps.

My third round came in the heart of the Long Peace. Factories were already built when I started, but I built many coal plants and other bits, plus started us on infantry. I stole two techs and left us in decent shape. Most of our railroading was done by then. The AIs were really putting the pressure on, though. So by 1150AD, we were trying to pit them against each other.

"Somebody be startin' somethin' 'round here." :mischief:

By 1300AD, the Ottomans were completely out of gas and were collapsing. France was a full-on Runaway AI(TM) and was a hop, skip and a jump short of achieving domination. Once the Ottos were finito, it would be our turn.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We had to fight. :help:

Of course, we had no oil of our own. :eek: So obtaining some was priority one.

A driving offensive straight up the gut got us to the nearest source of oil, and so we were in the fight.

Our progress slowed, though. Our tank forces were being depleted from endless intense fighting. We were holding our ground, but only barely, and on Sid Difficulty that just isn't going to cut it.

Brother Bede had a catastrophe at the end of his round, in which three fourths of our artillery were captured and carted off in one crushing blow. Our western flank was overrun and France was perched on the doorstep of our capital.

This is where I come in for the last time. "It's Ugly Out There." Grand. Just the way I like it. :lol:

The situation at the start of my fourth round:

Somebody wish me luck. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :cooool:

I knew the key to having any hope for survival was to shut off the French oil supply. There turned out to be three sources, located at the big green dots in the shot below.

I saw the one in the northwest, and the one at Tabriz not too far from our eastern front. The circled one in the northeast was not known. None of us had spotted it, and so my battle plans did not account for it. :(

My first course of action was to retake the lost ground on our western flank. The yellow arrows represent this action. Using our tank armies, I charged in there and recaptured Madras. That's the first yellow arrow, in the southwest. I had to mop up units sitting on airport, and retake our second town (second yellow arrow). I then used cavalry to ride over and pillage the rail and road at the yellow circle, thus preventing the enemy from reaching Madras on one turn with any two-move units.

The orange dot in our core is a stack of French units. I used our recaptured artillery to redline and then wipe out these offenders. I signed Right of Passage with Ottomans and the green arrow shows a pair of mechs sent on the mission to the north to disconnect one of the oils.

This all occurred on the inherited turn. I pressed next turn and the blue arrows show the lines of French attack. They took two cities, including the one sitting on our oil :eek: just north of our core. WE START THIS TURN WITH NO OIL.

French attacks at our northernmost and easternmost cities were repelled. A French destroyer in the east is bombarding that city, Indus. That's the blue arrow in the water.

Indus in the far east is our weakest point. The red line hops indicate four cities in a row that would fall like dominoes if Indus falls. The last in that chain is our only rubber source. And with a ship pestering it, ONE elite mech is not enough to deter attacks. If the mech takes a bombardment hit, the Gates of Hell are opened.

To start the next turn, I disconnect one of Joanie's oils, in the north at the green X.

I recaptured our oil city and the one to the east of it. These are the yellow arrows.

I used two cavalry to pillage the rail and road at the yellow circle, thus preventing any repeat of this French maneuver for our oil by preventing them from reaching the eastern city (Kolhapur) in one turn. (All the other roads were already cratered and disconnected, as shown by the green line).

This was all I could manage, as our forces were mostly healing.

The French made a strong push at Indus (eastern blue arrow) and nearly captured it. Gave me a heck of a scare. I'm building mostly mechs now, instead of tanks, because we have GOT TO get multiple elite mechs into Indus and shut that down as a way for the French to flank us and drive deep into our back lines.

The western arrow is a long battleship. I've got a cav parked in the city on our western tip, and it is distracting the battle ship. The ship can do no more than 2hp damage per turn, and the cav can heal, so that's an endless loop in our favor so long as no other ships join in.

The French moved two TOW onto our aluminum at the northernmost city, and since I had left one city up there completely undefended, they also charged a stack into the hills.

Another stack charged in to the west of Sirian's Gap, between that and Jaipur, the blue arrow pointing due south.

Two French Tanks killed our exposed (pillager) cavs at the yellow circle area, but the city was spared.

(Not shown in any pictures) I killed the two exposed tanks and cleaned up the stack that had invaded near Sirian's Gap.

I moved an elite mech in to the town I had left empty, and that's all I could do on that round.

Between turns, the blue arrows below show the French response.

They pillaged the rail on our aluminum BUT NOT THE ROAD. The second TOW, at the yellow X in the north, moved off the tile without pillaging. Thus our aluminum is still connected by road. What were they smoking? :smoke:

The other stack in that area retreated due to the elite mech. This is at the town I have circled in yellow.

The French made another thrust at Indus, barely repelled, and another drive in past Sirian's Gap on the west. They came at our northwest town with only a couple of tanks, and failed, but they came from the east to take a town two towns north of our oil supply. They also put a mech on the airport one tile north of Oil City.

The yellow arrows show my moves. I retook the lost town. Then I used most of our artillery to strike at the French city of Erdenet and used our now-healed tank armies to burn it down. I used the rest of our forces to clean out the invaders at Sirian's Gap, but I had to use mechs and cavs to do the killing, and we lost a mech and some horsies in this fight.

The small yellow circle, which I had gone to such pains to pillage (to stop the French drive for Oil City) now had to be reconnected so I could attack again next round. I sent two workers there and some mechs to cover.

Between turns, a second French destroyer joined the bombarbment of Indus in the east, but I had two elite mechs over there now and they only managed to damage one. So for the first time, no attack came at that city. Instead, they charged into the mountains EAST OF Sirian's Gap.

The yellow dots show the six mountains, and the lone gray dot is an incense hill. I figured that in attacking Indus, they were trying to drive to our rubber source, and since Indus was now closed to them, this was Plan B on reaching our rubber, via the orange arrows in two hops.

I had left Calcutta completely defenseless, so the greedy AI charged in two stacks of fast movers from the west, plus some slow TOW.

France also attacked two cities in the north, again taking one of them.

Not many yellow arrows here. Nope. No-sir-ee. I retook the one lost city, then I put two elite mechs in Calcutta (gray blockade curve) and I struck again on offense. The road was connected at green dot and our two tank armies, at 13 and 11 hp respectively, charged on to attack the city, after our artillery gave it what-for.

Dalandzadgad was razed, and the small green arrow shows our settler and three vet mechs moving to Another Pink Dot, moving in to position to disconnect what I believed was Joanie's final oil.

I was so thin on units at this point, the only thing I could do about the stack at Sirian's Gap was to draft a conscript mech from the back lines and park it on the yellow dot in the middle of the orange arrow.

Below, the light blue arrow shows where one enemy mech attacks the conscript on blockade duty. Our unit promotes, and then the entire stack turns around and goes home! This occurred at the white arrow. :rolleyes: Silly AI. Tricks are for kids. :crazyeye:

The five cities I've circled are the ones the French can reach on the same turn with their 2-move units. The four yellow ones now have elite mechs at full health, two at Indus. The orange circle is a vet mech. The blue dot and circle are a French mini-stack of three artillery and five infantry, with the artillery blasting that city each turn. They take a hp off the elite mech and the Gates of Hell are opened. The city barely survives the assault. The orange city is also struck, but survives.

In the south, our capital was left undefended in order to get defenders to Calcutta. The units near Calcutta drive south toward Delhi while more come in from the west.

The PERSIANS land a force of four infantry via the red arrow.

Four tanks and a mech attack our three mechs covering the settler at New Pink Dot, and we lose one of our units, but the other two survive. The French wipe out one of our two exposed tank armies, though. :( But it was worth it, because we got to New Pink Dot (shown as green dot, above, because Joanie's pink would obscure it if I used pink there) and I can disconnect the oil at the black dot.

I must attack the Persian units and clean out all the enemy around our capital, which I manage to do, but only barely.

Between turns, as shown by three blue arrows, the French send NINETEEN tanks and mechs at New Pink Dot. Our dice are kind and we give them quite a thumping, losing only about two units.

The French again damage our elite mech at the northwest town, with their artillery, and attack the two northern towns not covered by fully healthy elite mechs. Both thrusts fail, but only because they sent most of their might at New Pink Dot.

The French land two tanks via the sea (blue arrow) and the Persians land two infantry and two guerrilla units via the red arrow, on a mountain no less. Arrgh.

I DISCOVER THAT JOANIE HAS ONE MORE OIL. I spent a lot of time planning, and finally figured out how to go via the back door in the north. So, as shown above, I drive around via the yellow arrows and capture Nippur, then disconnect her final oil at the green dot, sacrificing two artillery I cannot cover to get it done.

I kill the two French amphibious tanks, but lack units to fight the Persians and so move an elite mech in to deter them from attacking the town.

The French are now out of oil. :cooool:

The Persians pillage our mine and rail/road on the mountain with two units, then move the others off toward the east, toward an empty city. This is the red in the south:

The French make four different thrusts around Nippur. One at the five artillery covered by a mech fails. The one at the city kills one of two mechs but promotes the other to elite. The other two are at uncovered units and they win.

The real strikes comes at New Pink Dot. This is the legendary "they had me beat" fight, but the Pink Dot(TM) cast a spell on them, causing to halt their assault when I was down to two 1hp units (1/5 mech and 1/4 Mobile SAM) and instead send some units around to the east of Sirian's Gap again.

My forces were nearly gassed. Tanks all healing, mechs thinned out and even the few cavs I had left were wounded. I managed to kill the Persians and mop up all the wounded units at New Pink Dot, and that was it. I put up a lone blockade unit in the mountains at Sirian's Gap.

Joanie and I had both been brawling so hard, we were both winded. :lol:

I formed a mech army out of three vet mechs and parked it at New Pink Dot. I also had unhurt elite mechs in all cities, including now three at Indus and two at New Lyons where their three artillery were parked.

Oh, and I renewed the alliance with Ottomans, plus made peace with Persia and signed up the X-man as another ally vs France.

The next turn, Joanie attacked no cities at all. She drove all her forces in along two thrust vectors, as shown by the blue arrows.

I countered with the yellow arrows. I wiped all the invaders at Delhi and one of the three stacks at Kolhapur, then parked two elite mechs in there and a bunch of conscripts, and I prayed.

Next turn, Joanie's two stacks at Kolhapur fled from the sight of my elite mech. :crazyeye: HAHA, COWARDS. :lol:

She landed a lone tank from the sea.

Her artillery damaged both elites at New Lyons and the Gates of Hell opened. One of my elite mechs was killed but another unit got promoted, and she quit.

She also attacked from the west, taking a town, and then hopped from there to a town guarded by a lone REGULAR mech (which was a conscript who had gotten promoted). That mech promoted to elite and survived FOUR attackers. My hero. :)

Joanie also moved a mech and some marines toward Sirian's gap in two different tiles.

All I could do was recapture, clean up the invaders, and chase down some of the cowardly fleeing tanks north of Kolhapur. :whipped:

The final action saw more attacks in the north (geeze) and a Big Huge SoD coming in toward Sirian's Gap.

Rather than fight, I devoted my all to burning down Tabriz (big fat yellow arrow). I also used our first ship to attack and sink an enemy ship.

I manage to cut off all three of Joanie's oils, shoot down half her bombers, reduce her mech count, and wipe out all but the last shred of her armor.

Here's the situation I handed off to Doc:

The Magnificent Seven needed only 36 more turns to reach Domination Victory from this winning position.

Here's the end of Doc's round:

Then the final mopping up:

Yay! Go team, go! We rule. :)

Our score and power graph:

History will remember the Maginificent Seven.

This Game Summary(TM) has been brought to you by a Lazy Friday Afternoon(TM) on my day off from work, where I decided to watch the replay, and then became inspired to write a closing piece for the thread.

I hope you enjoyed the overview.

Oh, and I also wanted to record this game in my Hall of Fame.

Woops? I don't have any other games recorded? Wow. ... Oh, that's right. I upgraded to WinXP last summer, and I haven't played Civ3 since then. Haha, what a lark.

The appearance is that I played my first game of Civ3, our team dominated the hardest setting, and now I've been there and done that. "Hey, that was easy. Welp, on to Civ4." :cooool:

- Sirian

lurker's comment: Sirian's A Short History of the Indian People climbs to the top of the NYT bestseller list.

:goodjob: :lol:

Great write up! I always enjoyed your write-up for your RBC Epics, too. :)

Nice recap, Sirian. Thanks for the memories.

Seeing Bede's name makes me think:

"Benevolent Bede has produced his "The Greatest Nations in the World""

The Magnificent Indians
The Runaway French
The Puppet-stringed Ottomans
The Distant Persians
The Librarian Vikings
The Trodden upon Babylonians
The Blinked-at Mongols
The Forgotten Romans

;) :lol: :goodjob:

Nice list.

Wow... simply incredible!!! Back on about page 16, I was certain that the downfall of the Indians was imminent - but then, there was the "Great Magnificent Comeback", and (after what must have been a LOOONG and extremely tedious time spent planning, plotting, and warring) India was back in the picture! And then, amazingly, the Glorious Indians proceeded to smash the French and the Turks to WIN the game!!! :D

This is by far the coolest and most awe-inspiring write-up of a civ3 game that I've ever read! :) It's taught me a LOT more about playing civ3 too. ;)

Thanks guys - a truly Five Star performance. :goodjob:

But how could you play as Gandhi and not use nukes (or did I miss it)?

Alright, I'm just looking for an excuse to bump this awesome thread!

Top Bottom