Spqr

Macedonia can build something called golden fleece it says it belongs to kolchics or something only. I don't know if that's a different tribe or not lol. For the unit it was probably missing pedia icon or something like that it would take me like an hour of gameplay to get to that point again and read it exactly.

Also Babylons settler can't move. It looks like it has movement points maybe it's classified as a boat or something. Babylon doesn't start with a worker either dunno if that's intentional or forgotten.

Yes I found the wonder problem and fixed that.Didn't know about Babylon. Will check that one. Will also check the pediaicons for Macedonia.

Thanks for the heads up.

Are you looking for help with finding errors? I need something to do on Christmas lol

Hi! I've been looking at these forums for awhile now but this is the first scenario I've felt I could give some useful feedback for, so here goes.

I'm playing a game as Rome and it's a lot of fun, I really like that controlling different areas gives you different units and that your units get weaker as you leave your heartland. You obviously put a bunch of time into this and it shows. I also really like the interface and look and feel of it all.

A few historical things though. First, the game starts in 753BC, at the legendary founding of Rome. I don't think Troy should be in the game, since Rome was supposedly founded by the decendants of a band of refugees from the sack of Troy. Even if this is not true, we know that Troy ceased to be important well before this scenario starts. I think it should be replaced by Lydia, who's heyday was around 800 BC and who inhabited pretty much the same area as the Trojans. Also, in my game Egypt never really got going (it's 441 BC and they have 5 cities). In reality they should own the entire nile down to Nubia at the game's start, and also be controlled by Assyria if you want to be really accurate.

The kingdom of Pontus starts with 1000 culture in its capital even though it wasn't founded until around 302 BC. It's a cool civ to include, but maybe don't give it so much culture right away. Also the Massilian, Lucanian, and Tarantine capitals start with culture even though none are as important or as developed as the Greeks, Judaeans, or Persians who start with 0 culture.

It's cool that you're going for every civ starting with 1 city, but I think some important civs are totally omitted. The Celts, Lusitanians, Phoenicians, and Armenians all played a big role and are not included. It would maybe nice down the road to lump the Phoenicians and Carthaginians together and have them start with one city in each location, because in 753 BC Carthage was a Phoenician colony. Same thing with putting Tarentum, Lucania, Massilia, and Syracuse under the Greek umbrella. You could create Athens, Sparta, and Thebes and separate nations and assign them all of their colonial cities, because that would be more accurate and also prevent Greece from being the one big happy family that it's portrayed as in the game.

Also, it's been said but the map is too big. It's the 2nd era and already the turn times are really long. You could cut out all of the map east of the Persian and Median starting locations, and also the northern part including Denmark and Sweden (I think that would cut out the Suiones which would probably be fine, you could replace them with someone more relevant).

And just a minor thing, the Greeks are called Mycenaeans in diplomacy, but Mycenae collapsed around 1100 BC.

That's just my two cents, I think this scenario is awesome and has a bunch of potential and I'm completely down to help out, so let me know if there's anything I can do.

Hi! I've been looking at these forums for awhile now but this is the first scenario I've felt I could give some useful feedback for, so here goes.

I'm playing a game as Rome and it's a lot of fun, I really like that controlling different areas gives you different units and that your units get weaker as you leave your heartland. You obviously put a bunch of time into this and it shows. I also really like the interface and look and feel of it all.

A few historical things though. First, the game starts in 753BC, at the legendary founding of Rome. I don't think Troy should be in the game, since Rome was supposedly founded by the decendants of a band of refugees from the sack of Troy. Even if this is not true, we know that Troy ceased to be important well before this scenario starts. I think it should be replaced by Lydia, who's heyday was around 800 BC and who inhabited pretty much the same area as the Trojans. Also, in my game Egypt never really got going (it's 441 BC and they have 5 cities). In reality they should own the entire nile down to Nubia at the game's start, and also be controlled by Assyria if you want to be really accurate.

The kingdom of Pontus starts with 1000 culture in its capital even though it wasn't founded until around 302 BC. It's a cool civ to include, but maybe don't give it so much culture right away. Also the Massilian, Lucanian, and Tarantine capitals start with culture even though none are as important or as developed as the Greeks, Judaeans, or Persians who start with 0 culture.

It's cool that you're going for every civ starting with 1 city, but I think some important civs are totally omitted. The Celts, Lusitanians, Phoenicians, and Armenians all played a big role and are not included. It would maybe nice down the road to lump the Phoenicians and Carthaginians together and have them start with one city in each location, because in 753 BC Carthage was a Phoenician colony. Same thing with putting Tarentum, Lucania, Massilia, and Syracuse under the Greek umbrella. You could create Athens, Sparta, and Thebes and separate nations and assign them all of their colonial cities, because that would be more accurate and also prevent Greece from being the one big happy family that it's portrayed as in the game.

Also, it's been said but the map is too big. It's the 2nd era and already the turn times are really long. You could cut out all of the map east of the Persian and Median starting locations, and also the northern part including Denmark and Sweden (I think that would cut out the Suiones which would probably be fine, you could replace them with someone more relevant).

And just a minor thing, the Greeks are called Mycenaeans in diplomacy, but Mycenae collapsed around 1100 BC.

That's just my two cents, I think this scenario is awesome and has a bunch of potential and I'm completely down to help out, so let me know if there's anything I can do.

First, I am glad you like the MOD, and I am always open to listening to anyone who has anything constructive to say, which I believe you have done. In the development thread (Rise and Fall of House Julii), you find my reasons explaining why I made the decisions I made regarding some of the historical deviations. That does not mean that these decisions are written in stone. As I said, I am always open to suggestions. I did not make this MOD for myself. I made for the members of our Forum.

I would greatly like to hear from other members regarding their thoughts ideas and suggestions on this same subject.

Wolfshade also had a similar question he asked while we were developing and testing the MOD, "How historical accurate do we want to be and what historical events do we want to include". My aim is not to make the end of the game a pre-determined eventually or foregone conclusion, and to allow the player/players to experiment with "what if possibilities". What if Troy had not fallen? What if Etruria had not been conquered by by Rome? What if Carthage had not been destroyed by Rome? The possibilities are endless.

Finally, I have spent a great deal of time trying to figure out what is the cause of the slow down in the game but have as yet to discover the cause. I am still searching. If any has any ideas, I will be more than happy to listen. While I continue working on finalizing SPQR, I am also working on a second version that will have all cities pre placed.

missing file art\units\citizenhoplite\citizenhoplite.ini
Apparently there are some invisible units. At least one of them has bombard.
Islamic buildings available in 753 bc
barbarbians have an academy building
government civopedia entries which aren't totally absent generally have small errors
palace does not make veteran units, contrary to pedia
bridge building is the almighty coveted tech that the ai demands you must research on your own
Sicily, Carthage, and the 2 ones over in the Persia area seem to expand best early on.
articles explaining units and concepts would be helpful

Babylon
The AI is fine with its settlers. I think it's just missing the move command button

Berbers
don't start with any technology and land does not yield enough food to grow

Egypt
has tribal tech for barbarian buildings set

Epirus
its capital city/ roman legion wonder thing can be sold
starts with no settler or worker

Huns
cannot move settler-same as Babylon

Nubia
among others, starts without either road mine or irrigate. useless worker

Parthia
has Egyptian theocracy and Egyptian buildings available

Syracuse
flavor hoplite is especially cheap and strong

Played a game as Britons.
Rushed the Picts relatively early. Took worker and noticed its 2nd city was wide open. The Briton skirmisher only has 1 speed (pedia says fast & blitz). After the razing a 8.2 Pictish warrior killed my spearman. By the time it reached my capital I had a stack of 4 to kill it and its accompanying dog. A moderate stream of dogs since then trickled down as I constructed a stack. So the AI only made 1 Pictish warrior, a whole lot of dogs warriors, and then slightly less amount of archers.
Not particularly Picts but in generall the game defense points are hard to come by compared to cheap high attack units and tough versatile bombarding support on top of it.

Pictures
Spoiler :

missing file art\units\citizenhoplite\citizenhoplite.ini
Apparently there are some invisible units. At least one of them has bombard.
Islamic buildings available in 753 bc
barbarbians have an academy building
government civopedia entries which aren't totally absent generally have small errors
palace does not make veteran units, contrary to pedia
bridge building is the almighty coveted tech that the ai demands you must research on your own
Sicily, Carthage, and the 2 ones over in the Persia area seem to expand best early on.
articles explaining units and concepts would be helpful

Babylon
The AI is fine with its settlers. I think it's just missing the move command button

Berbers
don't start with any technology and land does not yield enough food to grow

Egypt
has tribal tech for barbarian buildings set

Epirus
its capital city/ roman legion wonder thing can be sold
starts with no settler or worker

Huns
cannot move settler-same as Babylon

Nubia
among others, starts without either road mine or irrigate. useless worker

Parthia
has Egyptian theocracy and Egyptian buildings available

Syracuse
flavor hoplite is especially cheap and strong

Played a game as Britons.
Rushed the Picts relatively early. Took worker and noticed its 2nd city was wide open. The Briton skirmisher only has 1 speed (pedia says fast & blitz). After the razing a 8.2 Pictish warrior killed my spearman. By the time it reached my capital I had a stack of 4 to kill it and its accompanying dog. A moderate stream of dogs since then trickled down as I constructed a stack. So the AI only made 1 Pictish warrior, a whole lot of dogs warriors, and then slightly less amount of archers.
Not particularly Picts but in generall the game defense points are hard to come by compared to cheap high attack units and tough versatile bombarding support on top of it.

Pictures
Spoiler :

Good to hear from you Tom.
Some of these I have already corrected and I will continue working on the rest.

I believe some of these items were covered in the development thread. I believe the invisible attack is coming from the slingers (Baleric, Rhodian and I think Roman slingers have stealth attack).

Again, civilopedia does need some work. The original civilopedia comes from TAM and does need some adjusting.

This is a great help Tom. I was aware of some of these items, but others are very helpful revelations. Please keep them coming. Thanks.

Getting an invalid attachment for the biq link.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Does this update fix the greek citizen unit?

Does this update fix the greek citizen unit?

Yes I fixed that but I don't remember if that was a BIQ error, or pediaicon.txt error, or an icon.pcx error. Check and let me know if you sill get an error.

I remember, it was in the unit folder. Rename the INI file to "CitizenHoplite".

Don't know if it's with the new biq because that link doesn't work but the new units rar doesn't fix it. I look in the units folder and there is no citizen hoplite file

Don't know if it's with the new biq because that link doesn't work but the new units rar doesn't fix it. I look in the units folder and there is no citizen hoplite file

Here is the unit folder. Add this to the units folder. ;)

Attachments

• CitizenHoplite.rar
    471.7 KB · Views: 193
Ok that works. Did you update anything in the scenario file?

Top Bottom