Terracotta Army

So has anyone managed to build this yet, or does the AI really go for it?

Also, can anyone clarify something re. "unit type" - if you have units at different stages on the same path, say, an Archer and a Composite Bowman, will you get one of each, or only one Composite Bowman?
One of each.

This wonder requires some preparation otherwise the GPT upkeep will eat into your finances. And the Ai is absoultely crazy about it, so get it early.

I might actually build this wonder now, after ignoring it in my games.

Has hell frozen already :lol: ? I will do the same after ignoring it for so long.

there is the Parthenon now, giving +4 culture and some great works slots

While I am overjoyed to see it finally in CiV (it was mentioned in old Civilopedia entries as a World Wonder but never it was in the game),
I am a bit sad that they didn't represent the underlining purpose of its construction (understandably since this is not something that is been advertised but still...)

While I am overjoyed to see it finally in CiV (it was mentioned in old Civilopedia entries as a World Wonder but never it was in the game),
I am a bit sad that they didn't represent the underlining purpose of its construction (understandably since this is not something that is been advertised but still...)

We have enough temples, don't we? :)

Incidentally, I haven't noticed anyone else pointing this out, but apparently the resource penalty (for being 'negative' in a resource) is scaled to how many you lack. I had a Kris Swordsman from a Military CS and so was at -1 Iron, and the penalty was listed at about 15%, I think.

We have enough temples, don't we? :)

See thats what I meant :lol:

The temple was a secondary function! Aside from the artistic perspective that it announced the world that Athens was the dominant cultural power of its time, the primary and less known function of the Parthenon was as a treasury!

In fact aside from the Panathinea festivities and a few dedicated festivals, the temple was ill used as such. The area that housed the statue of Athina was the actual vault that was used as the Delian leagues treasury.

See thats what I meant :lol:

The temple was a secondary function! Aside from the artistic perspective that it announced the world that Athens was the dominant cultural power of its time, the primary and less known function of the Parthenon was as a treasury!

In fact aside from the Panathinea festivities and a few dedicated festivals, the temple was ill used as such. The area that housed the statue of Athina was the actual vault that was used as the Delian leagues treasury.

Soo... something like 'increased CS affection from money' would work as an additional perk of the Parthenon? I like. :)

Wouldn't it be easier, safer and smarter to just spend the hammers on building the units you want?

Wouldn't it be easier, safer and smarter to just spend the hammers on building the units you want?

If timed properly, it can be much cheaper than all those units. Composite Bowman (70) + Spearman (56) + Chariot Archer (56) + Catapult (75) = 267, which already is more than the 250 hammers that the Teracotta Army costs. And you can have a few other units on top of those, so it works out all right. But you need to plan things well in order to get a benefit out of it.

Built the Teracatta army in first game. What I didn't like was the units didn't start with promotions even though the city had a barracks, so to me it wasn't really worth it.

Soo... something like 'increased CS affection from money' would work as an additional perk of the Parthenon? I like. :)

I do not propose to change it, call it a personal wish if you would like. that is connected to my musings concerning my profession :)

I'm afraid to build it for fear it will send my economy into a tailspin. I guess you could delete the units when you get them, thereby making TA a monetary windfall.

early game = accounting simulator.

So has anyone managed to build this yet, or does the AI really go for it?

Also, can anyone clarify something re. "unit type" - if you have units at different stages on the same path, say, an Archer and a Composite Bowman, will you get one of each, or only one Composite Bowman?

My first game and I did get the Terracotta Army. I specifically left an Archer un-upgraded to see what would happen. My wonder finished and pop-pop-pop-pop-pop! There, all around my city was 1 each of a Warrior, an Archer, a Composite Bowman, a Chariot Archer, and a Horseman! Five new units just like that. This is really sweat, but will do best with a little planning ahead!
Have fun with it!

Thanks Wata, that was something I wanted to know.

If you leave a few units un-upgraded, you get even more. So you could do:

Warrior, Spearman, Swordsman, Archer, Composite Bow, Catapult, Chariot Archer, Horseman.

And then double all that instantly. A lot of techs required for that, though.

As for the gold tailspin, that doesn't matter. You have so many units now that you throw them against your enemy immediately and watch them sacrifice themselves to weaken them for your other troops. Don't forget to ravage the trade routes and improvements to get the budget back to zero near the end of the war.

It works out great for Assyria. Two siege towers is enough to roll over any city, as long as you have a few ranged units around to clear a path.

If you build the Terracotta Army as Germany, do you get a copy of a Brute as well as a Warrior, and a Hand-Axe as well as a Chariot Archer?

You should, as they are different units.

Apparently it now basically doubles and copies your military, which is pretty powerful for opening war. Had Ottomans use it against my test Venice game, got a crap ton of spearmen and composite bows attacking me all of the sudden a few turns after.

This is realy strange. There are several people on this board who claim that the AI never declares war in BNW no matter what you do.

I am actualy beginning to question theire words now...

I had basically a non-existence military at the time. They had spears, composite bows, and catapults, and had been expanding towards me.

I don't like the change. I used to consistently shoot for TA as a culture boost in the early game, now it seems like a warmonger's wet dream, especially with the gold-boosting trade routes early game.

Consider Shaka Zulu popping this with 15 melee units from his massive UA (half cost maintenance on melee) and you've basically got the rest of your continent by the balls.

And call me cynical, but the majority of wonders have at least SOME reasoning behind what their function is (Pyramics were built by slavery, so you get some free workers and they work harder, Great wall kept out invaders, so movement speed is slowed. . . OK maybe they don't fully make sense) but TA is just silly now. They're clay warriors, so it clones your army? That's the best they could come up with?

Top Bottom