The Battle of Midway - Playtest/Feedback/Release Thread

Devastators from USS Yorktown finish off the Hiryu! (we were WAY off on ship identification LOL). Unfortunately, many units are found to be out of range, including our scout plane. It's going to be a doozy to find the other carriers!!!

Attachments

• USN12.zip
    26.1 KB · Views: 193
A couple of F4Fs downed; no Kates left to attack the carriers.

Attachments

• IJN13.zip
    22.8 KB · Views: 188
A zeke and a few bombers downed. When you (or I) run out of ability to launch attacks, let me know. I think I should definitely make the fighters less potent, and the shore forces at least less strong.

Attachments

• USN13.zip
    26.5 KB · Views: 187
Nearly at that point; I have a couple of Kates left that were in my carrier last turn - when they're gone I'll concede :)

DD sunk and a few F4Fs downed. Hornet now ablaze and Yorktown at 50%

Attachments

• IJN14.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 179
Ok, well if one of us runs out of bombers (I don't have many left either) we'll check the points and however has most wins. I sunk one carrier, but all you need is to destroy one yourself (so I'd concentrate on Hornet) and knock off any Midway installation to win.

I could also just reduce the amount of damage that the fighter ammo does.

I shot down a few bombers. They drop in one shot often, especially to veterans.

Attachments

• USN14.zip
    26.8 KB · Views: 182
I would go with single attack per turn still; I now see the advantage of short range intercepting allowing 2-3 attacks per turn resulting in 3 F4F losses.

My general thought about balance are that the torpedo bombers are key and the dive bombers are very under-strength; Playing over I would ignore the latter when intercepting with fighters and proritise the opponents torp bombers and fighters.

Attachments

• IJN15.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 179
Dauntless shot down. Stupidly attacked the stack with Yorktown in it, thinking it was a lone F4F.

Hornet is really in her death throes now, taking another two torpedoes but somehow remaining afloat, a burning hulk.

Attachments

• IJN16.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 199
Hi John,

I've prepared a little set of documents on my play through. I've played up to turn 17 after the Americans where essentially defeated. The zip includes:
  • A word document that includes a summary of my playthrough along with some feedback and suggestions
  • An excel file that breaks down the forces that were engaged and lost during the scenario
As I indicate in the word document, my primary goal for playing this particular play through was to determine whether solo play was possible or not and I can firmly attest that yes it is.

There are a few caveats/suggestions which you will find in the word document but otherwise I found the scenario innovative, fun and even challenging and as such I recommend it to all players be it for multi player or solo play

As usual feel free to use or disregard it in any manner you see fit.

Attachments

• Midway Play Test.rar
    15.1 KB · Views: 183
Hi John,

I've prepared a little set of documents on my play through. I've played up to turn 17 after the Americans where essentially defeated...

I really appreciate the feedback and am glad that you enjoyed the scenario. I think I will take your advice on most of it (thank you for catching the carrier flag too) but there is one piece I'm hesitant to agree to and I wanted to explain why:

Fighters of the era could only shoot and fire on one target at a time and thus I recommend you implement the No Stack Kills for this scenario.

The problem with putting no stack kills on this (and the reason they are also off in OTR) is that if you can stack units freely on one square, you will, because that would make finding an attacking force even more difficult. You'd be foolish not to do that, as it would make it very likely that your entire attacking force could make it through with no issues or detection. With stack kills "on," while condensing every unit to one square is still possible, it's a massive risk, and you're really better off spreading them out.

Anyway, that's my rationale for this particular piece of feedback. I definitely appreciate it though!

Hi John,

Now that you explained your rationale for the NSK, I see that it makes perfect sense. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me beforehand.

To be honest, during 98% of my play through my air units were always unstacked so that they could be spread out and cover larger areas of the map.

Of course solo play is never going to be as challenging as multiplayer, for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to repeat how much I truly enjoyed the experience.

I’m extremely interested in many of the air features you implemented, including the reaction fire and forcing the air bombers to rearm after attacking, and hope to be able to enlist your aid someday in implementing them in some of my designs in the future.

Dauntless shot down and Hornet finally sunk. Do or die attacks resumed against Yorktown (?).

Attachments

• IJN17.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 195
To be completely honest, I questioned your strategy of attacking the AA gun, but now that I have NO fighters and no AA, I think this just became a matter of who can find the other sides carriers first!

One destroyer sunk.

Attachments

• USN17.zip
    27 KB · Views: 191
I think the only reason I attacked the AA gun was because the attacking Val didn't have enough move points to reach anything else :lol:

Yorktown set ablaze while a Dauntless and Devastator are downed.

It may be that you've offset the strength of Zeroes and F4Fs a little too much if you are out of fighters as I still have a reasonable number left. Perhaps increase the def on Wildcats?

Attachments

• IJN18.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 180
Does the game allow for CAP over carriers?

If you position fighters near the carrier, they'll defend it via a reaction. If they are on the same square as the carrier, they are "on" the carrier, and will not.

Carrier spotted and attacked, but is it too little too late? We also lose two aircraft that fall into the sea!

Attachments

• USN18.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 191
Devastator splashed. The hunt for the Enterprise begins.

The sailors aboard Akagi seem a bit displeased. Very out of character.

panic on the streets.png

Attachments

• IJN19.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Top Bottom