The Independent City-State of London

If it was only several then that's not too big a deal :)

I rather get the impression that several people voted for Leave as a protest vote, which might be their democratic right to do so, but makes them actively incompetent too.

A lot of people vote the way their social clique votes. Based on emotion and not facts.

This happens in almost every election. It's the reason why so many people who vote will always vote for the same party.

If it was only several then that's not too big a deal :)

Well, I couldn't begin to speculate how many people did that, but reactions across the Internet indicate that at least a few people did do that.

So a "Free City" type of arrangement. Isn't that essentially what Singapore is already? I dont' think it'd fly with London, there's no way the UK would allow it to become sovereign, it's the heart of the UK.

The idea is that those four cities could be the the seed for a new way of approaching global politics and governance. they would have to join and lay the groundwork for governing a multicultural, densely populated urban world spread across the world. their financial importance would give them the resources to pull it off successfully.

Sure it would be tough to pull off. NY as the 51st state has already thought about splitting from NY state. Singapore is independent; Hong Kong has been independent, but china would need to see some benefit. London would have to use the breakup of the UK/EU as its excuse.

Do I see this as likely? Not at all. But it is an opportunity to take the next step to move beyond our current nation state, geographic based political/economic system. It needs one of those cities to champion the cause. London should be up to it.

What could possibly go wrong with making it easier for the rich to dodge taxes.

The rich have always successfully dodged taxes. The two questions are how much can they avoid paying and do they have to move to do so.

The way Bexiteer politicians are rapidly back peddling on campaign promises to domestically invest money previously earmarked for the EU leads me to believe that it will not be London declaring independence, but the rest of Britain kicking it out.

I wonder who would draw those borders. Could the queen and royals get carve outs?

Maybe the Dutch could build some new polders and make a land-bridge to London, then flood the surrounding areas?

Awful idea, Takhisis. The only thing worse than a rabid Chelsea fan is a wet Chelsea fan.

Yes, that's why he said changing colours. We're still discussing London clubs.

Top Bottom