The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's something I'd expect to be different in different states. You should definitely contact the DLT or whoever administers the program in Connecticut.

I have this tree in my yard. It drops weird fuzzy green nut things a bit smaller than tennis balls. I would like to identify it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or know of a website where I could describe the tree and have it identified?

Probably a conker tree. Smash the ball open, and check if there's a conker inside.

I'm pretty sure nonconformist isn't Indian.
I know you're just being obtuse about it, but look at your avatar and the avatars in the posts above and below you. That's three Indian dude avatars in a row. WHY?! :mad:

I have this tree in my yard. It drops weird fuzzy green nut things a bit smaller than tennis balls. I would like to identify it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or know of a website where I could describe the tree and have it identified?

A walnut tree, perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_regia

I'm thinking it might be something else b/c walnut seedpods aren't what I'd describe as "fuzzy." I have this nagging visual image of the seedpod you're describing but I can't place it yet. :blush:

That's something I'd expect to be different in different states. You should definitely contact the DLT or whoever administers the program in Connecticut.

Beech maybe?

Moderator Action: Lotsa spam deleted. Atticus gave the answer, no need to continue beyond that. Please remember that this isn't a chat thread.

I think it is walnut. I'mma smash one of the ball things with a hammer tomorrow and find out. Thanky. :)

Are we talking fuzzy like a kiwi? Definitely not fuzzy, AFAIK. I grew up in a home with a couple fields of walnut trees of the Black and English varietys (most were actually grafted together).

Walnuts can definitely be sticky and I've see some that look fairly bumpy too. But green and smooth is what I've seen the most of.

pah, buncha city slickers :p

I had a walnut tree growing in my front yard until I was 10 and we moved.

And? When I lived in Georgia we had a peach tree in our backyard!

How much economic freedom can you have, without having political freedom? Or put another way how much economic freedom can you have in a country with rampant corruption.

How much economic freedom can you have, without having political freedom? Or put another way how much economic freedom can you have in a country with rampant corruption.

That depends a lot on the situations. Cases like that could vary a lot. The economic freedom would be only for those who could afford to play the game. And even then it would have constraints. In a kleptocracy, where the rulers of the government are the leaders of the economy, they would have essentially total economic freedom. But that would be at the expense of having essentially no economic freedom for everyone else. And for a little guy with a good idea that in a freer country could lead to his creation of a personal fortune, it would often cut off the opportunity to do so. Large scale corruption in itself doesn't prevent an economy from growing. Though it tends to limit how much of the population benefits from the growth. Political freedom is not a complete check on corruption. But neither is it in all cases good for economic freedom. So you have a very conditional question.

Yeah it was a rather vague question. It was sort of aimed at the current China thread, as in there ability to grow domestic demand, but far enough off topic I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom