The questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread IV

No deaths :p

First commercial flight ever to ditch in the water without casualties! Excepting military conversions of commercial liners - an RAF Nimrod went down with no hands in the 70's and I'm sure it's not the only one.

Why has no-one started a thread about the airbus goosed into the hudson river yet?
I expected somebody to. I wouldn't make it myself though. Maybe if this were an aviation forum or something.

how do i change 11.9% into a fraction?

119/1000 then reduce if you can. I don't have any idea if there's a decently small fraction for that

Or guess and check
edit: it's around 1/9, 16/135 is super near it.

my calculator won't me do that...?

Which one? There are a coupla different uses. There's the umlaut as archaically used in coöperation (diaeresis, I think), and there's the umlaut as used in German words like Röhm.

I was asking for how to pronounce the word "umlaut" itself but I was interested in the pronunciation of the word because I encountered an umlaut in the Spanish word "vergüenza". Initially, this was a huge shock to me since I didn't know Spanish used umlauts and I thought that they were used mostly in German. I wiki'd and I found out that it meant I had to pronounce the "u".

Uhm-lowt. :goodjob:

I think that Sharwood was joking but his answer was the one I was looking for :lol:.

Do precious metals like silver and gold have many uses besides making jewelry and storing value?

Do precious metals like silver and gold have many uses besides making jewelry and storing value?
Gold is used as a reflective layer on many satellites, aircraft, and on some CDs. Gold and silver are both used for wiring (though not as frequently as, say, copper). There are tons of others, but I can't think of them right now. Wiki?

GOLD
-In modern times injectable gold has been proven to help to reduce the pain and swelling of rheumatoid arthritis.
-Gold alloys are used in restorative dentistry, especially in tooth restorations, such as crowns and permanent bridges.
-Gold, or alloys of gold and palladium, are applied as conductive coating to biological specimens and other non-conducting materials such as plastics and glass to be viewed in a scanning electron microscope.
-In photography, gold toners are used to shift the color of silver bromide black and white prints towards brown or blue tones, or to increase their stability.
-Gold is used as the reflective layer on some high-end CDs.
-Automobiles may use gold for heat insulation. McLaren uses gold foil in the engine compartment of its F1 model.
-The concentration of free electrons in gold metal is 5.90×1022 cm-3. Gold is highly conductive to electricity, and has been used for electrical wiring in some high energy applications (silver is even more conductive per volume, but gold has the advantage of corrosion resistance).

SILVER
-Photography used 24% of the silver consumed in 2001 in the form of silver nitrate and silver halides, while 33% was used in jewelry, 40% for industrial uses, and only 3% for coins and medals.
-During World War II the short supply of copper brought about the government's use of silver from the Treasury vaults for conductors at Oak Ridge.
-Mirrors which need superior reflectivity for visible light are made with silver as the reflecting material in a process called silvering, though common mirrors are backed with aluminium.
-Because silver readily absorbs free neutrons, it is commonly used to make control rods that regulate the fission chain reaction in pressurized water nuclear reactors, generally in the form of an alloy containing 80% silver, 15% indium, and 5% cadmium.
-Silver ions and silver compounds show a toxic effect on some bacteria, viruses, algae and fungi, typical for heavy metals like lead or mercury, but without the high toxicity to humans that is normally associated with these other metals. Its germicidal effects kill many microbial organisms in vitro, but testing and standardization of silver products is difficult.

-Wikipedia

Okay -- I don't know whats up with this.

Sometimes when I don't eat for a while, and begin eating again, I can see stars, vision is blurry and I have a mild headache. No foods in particular. What could it be?

Thank you.

I googled "blurry vision after eating" and it said about blood sugar. I'm not sure what to make of that.

In winter, when I get into a car that has been standing outside for a couple of hours, it always at first seems colder inside the car than outside. Is it really colder? Why (does it seem so)?

Are you seriously asking that?

If so, you should know that for example gold is used in almost all precise electronics... Like your cell phone or my (new! :D) audio card.

Actually, thinking about it, it's used in all electronic devices I can think of.

In winter, when I get into a car that has been standing outside for a couple of hours, it always at first seems colder inside the car than outside. Is it really colder? Why (does it seem so)?

Probably because you're just sitting there. Especially when you first get in and sit down. When you are walking, even the little bit from the house to the car, you are 1) exerting yourself a bit, the heart an muscles are doing a bit more work, and 2) doing something other than sitting and paying attention to the cold. So you are paying less attention when active. Once you are driving, if you aren't the passenger, your attention becomes more focused on that, but you still are not exerting your limbs to keep the circulation and heart rate up.

There's also something else. I'm sure you've noticed that if you sit down in the cold, you'll get colder. This, apart from what Cutlass said, is because you're making all the layers of your clothing touch each other, getting you in much, much closer contact with the cold surrounding you.

Contact to the cold is what makes you feel cold - one can easily survive in -3 C temperatures, even if your face is fully in contact with the cold, but if I press a fistful of -3 C snow on your face, you'll get colder much quicker. Why? Because the snow is more solid and the exchange of temperature happens much faster.

Top Bottom